Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shape puzzle

Options
  • 21-03-2006 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Came across this on my travels... doing it at the moment.
    http://www.grand-illusions.com/articles/russian_puzzle/

Did a search of boards and can't find that it's been posted before (though I'd be interested in a link if someone can find it).

Hehe, it's turning out to be harder than it looked.
    Man, there's nothing like a simple-looking puzzle to make you feel stupid. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does that even fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well I haven't calculated the volumes, but I'd assume so... otherwise it'd be a pretty crappy puzzle :D
    I've gotten pretty close a few times, and when you've got them packed tightly enough, you can see that there's roughly enough volume left for your last shape... it's just not all contigious space in the shape you want.
    Seems like a trial & error sort of affiar... but I wonder if some rainman type could just glance at it and spot the pattern immediately. o_O
    At this stage, I'm not sure if it'd be rewarding to complete it, since I've already been bashing away at it for ages... I'm bound to get it eventually :confused:

Oh my God... I finally got it.
    Turned out it was a route of investigation I had discarded earlier.

Hint :
    Work outside the box, get a shape that wastes at little space as possible... then try'n fit it in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

Arghhhhhhh !! will have to come back to this later lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭AdeleS

Could someone please please please please send me a pm with the solution to this, it is driving me crazeeeeeeeeeeee....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

That's seriously annoying. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

can some one please please PM the solution please:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wooo hoooo Got it:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

not a clue... i been trying that for the last 20 mins... no joy... AAAGh!

Easy when ya know how ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

finally got it.

really tough, and probably a lot easier on screen than with wooden blocks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Did the wooden version of this last year as part of a 'team building' day at work, where we were split into small groups to solve various puzzles together. Didn't really have the desired effect though as we all ended up arguing about where the pieces should fit. Took bloody ages to finish it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

still cant get it... this is mad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

Am usually good with these things- like tangems but have been at this over an hour! Pm me please with the solution:eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I know its a bit late but can someone please PM me the solution!!

Ok, I've had a few PMs about this... so here's the solution for those of you who can't take it any longer [attached]
    Obviously you have to put the pieces into the main square, but the formation in this pic is correct.

Though if you ask me, the biggest hint I could give you would be to ignore the big square you have to fit them into... it just throws you off.
    I had the most success working outside of the square.

WARNING ... PIC = SOLUTION

Advertisement