Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you do any societies?

Options
  • 21-03-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Tried joining Gsoc ages ago until college got in the way:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Yup actively involved with the Photosoc. Checkout some of the group member's stuff here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

no afraid not
    would love if there was a poker society though would participate daily ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Nope. Apathy. Meh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Nukem wrote:
    Tried joining Gsoc ages ago until college got in the way:mad:
    Gsoc??:confused: ..what society is that..please excuse my ignorance..:)
    german society?..gay society?..gaming society?...gun society?(it is limerick after all:D )...cant think of any other 'G' words at this moment in time..anyone care to enlighten me then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

games society (computer games i think)

not in any myself, too lazy and too much collegey stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

I do them all, really hard.

I'd like to do more, but condoms are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Used to be prez of the music soc a few years ago but organising everything ate up all my time. Was good craic though. Was once a member of the kayak club but i wasn't impressed with that whole "scene". Member of photosoc, skynet and the dramasoc but don't have time to participate anymore.

Ah, the jaded rantings of a weary postgrad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

used to be on the committee and stuff with the photo soc for two years. not involved in it at all this year. can't fit in everything i'm afraid. it's good craic though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

cornbb wrote:
    Used to be prez of the music soc a few years ago but organising everything ate up all my time. Was good craic though. Was once a member of the kayak club but i wasn't impressed with that whole "scene". Member of photosoc, skynet and the dramasoc but don't have time to participate anymore.

Ah, the jaded rantings of a weary postgrad!
    I'm also a former member of Kayak club. Mainly left due to lack of time but yes there is definitely some kind of "scene" there. I found it difficult to get ahead after basic training, seemed like elder statesmen wanted to keep the upper hand rather than let people develop. That said, the captain two years ago, Don, was just about the soundest person in UL.

Was a member of Music Soc but I think that was more for making equipment available than actually having any events (other than open mic). Was officially in Drama Soc but I'm not into musicals and that seemed to be all they did in 1st year. Their stunt at the Halloween Ball then put me off too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Went to most GSoc events in first year, joined in 2nd year but didn't go to anything. never bothered after that, because I just didnt have the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

used to be fairly active in the debating society but then old age got the better of me. am in badminton club too, but that's a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

when and where do the badmington club train? I used to train as a kid and wouldn't mind taking it up again as I'm not doing any exercise and want to lose weight. What's the standard of play like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

ah you guys should try coming to a few GSoc events agin, we are really after growing in the last few years and its a great way to relax aftr a stressful project or whatever. Especially the LAN gaming, nothing better than blowing somebody away at Counter Strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

nothing better than blowing somebody away at Counter Strike

that was almost poetic :D

IrishMike wrote:
    that was almost poetic :D

and throughly enjoyable, trust me. especially when you know the person and hes sitting next to you, har har har

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nothing better than blowing somebody at Counter Strike LANs

eeewwwww.

sicko.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

nothing better than blowing somebody at Counter Strike LANs
    and throughly enjoyable, trust me. especially when you know the person and hes sitting next to you, har har har

Sure it's always better when you know the person! Anonymous encounters aren't for you, no?

.... and to think I was even thinking of joining the GSoc at the beginning of the year, but now I know what shenanigans go on.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

sorry stepheninsane, haven't been on this for a few days so didn't see your message. The badminton club trains 2 days a week - there are beginners levels, and then teams enter various divisional leagues in Limerick - grade 6, grade 5, grade3 and grade 1. If you wanna get on the teams you would have to have gone down at the start of the year when trials took place.

All training takes place in the University Arena

Court 1
    Monday 20:15 - 23:00*
    Wednesday 14:00 - 16:00
    20:15 - 23:00*

Court 4
    Monday 21.15 - 23.00
    Wednesday 21.30 - 23.00

* These times are specifically reserved for league matches and team training
    All other members please use the other designated training times

Membership is just 4 euro per year, free racquets and shuttles are provided during training times.

Of course you can get the real info at http://badminton.csn.ul.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yup I'm in Cumann Con Colbert - Ógra Fianna Fáil. Long winded name that can be summed up in 6 other words. Hell of a laugh, gr8 people.

And you don't have to agree with all the policies of the party no matter what anybody tells ya. I sure as hell don't. But if Carlsburg did political parties...........
    Email us for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

yup Kayak Club is good....one of the biggest and most active clubs too :cool:

Don is still around (sound out, alright) ....
    i'm gonna refrain from any further comment, coz unless you know people personally you don't know whats going on

but the fact that there is 3 first years (who were all voted in by other members old and young) on the commitee this year speaks for itself (active participation of first years is encouraged and they want to take part)

if you get to know everyone its fine
    you need to give any club time though.. otherwise you just won't get the same out of it ...and unless your prepared to put in some effort it won't work

all the clubs are run by members for members and they all need active participation to work, you can't expect to show up and have everything laid out for you everyday :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 crankypants404

Yup,I'm atively involved in C&S. I'm the President of the UL Computer Society Skynet Anyone looking to join mail accounts@skynet.ie and sure we'll set you up and running. WE have talks, events, trips to HEAnet, DCU, and more recently MIT in Boston. Mail me if you have any queries

GSoc > CompSoc har di har har

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Is there only one clubs'n'socs day during the academic year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 crankypants404

klong wrote:
    Yup in Week 1 semester 1, there probably should be in the 2nd Semester though. But at any stage pop into the C&S office in the SU and all contact details are in there

or just find out when an event is on and show up to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Yes, you both make valid points. The way I see it, if there was a second clubs'n'socs day, the foreign students can also join (as can irish students returning from coop/abroad) and meet new people, make new friends, and fit in better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

klong wrote:

ya one official one in the first semester but some clubs hang out in the canteen at the start of the second semester as well but theres none of the tables set up and no free stuff really.

Basically the best way to get involved in a Club or Soc is to be super nosy, go to an Event or meeting and say hello, if the rest of the people in C&S are like me, they'll talk to you repeatedly and quite loudly :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CaptainCharisma

Yep, sure am. Treasurer/Chairman for GSoc right here.

Advertisement