Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing doctors

Options
  • 21-03-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Apologies in advance as i had not got a clue where to post this.
    My girlfriend is a mature student and so has a medical card.
    She is currently attending a doctor in Finglas but this is a bit far as she lives in Cabra and has no transport. She is currently trying to change to a doctor in Cabra and has tried 2. They both turned her down saying they are not taking any new patients. They said this after hearing she was on the medical card? Can they actually do this or what is the standing on this.?
    I havent a clue myself and would appreciate any advice on how she can change doctors or about what the legal standing is on this.
    Thanks
    Sham...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As far as I am aware most Doctors would redilly take on a medical card holder unless they are completely overworked as it is gauranteed money cash paying patients don't always pay up on the day of the visit and sometimes don't pay at all. If they say they are full up, I would believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Just make an appointment with a doctor closest to her, i don't think a Doctor can turn down a patient because she uses the medical card. Is she actually asking these doctors beforehand if she can use them? You know you don't need to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I think it was actually the receptionist that asked her if she was on medical card, when she replied yes she said that the doctor was not taking on any more patients?
    This was a doctor that was around the corner from her house so it would have been ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I'm not sure they can just turn her away. Might want to look into that.

cheers for the reply.
    Who would you contact to find out about your right in this matter etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

Would you want to go to a doctor who's like this? My friend is from that area and attended the doctor in Phibsboro opposite the Brian Boru, apparently she's great and as far as I know has no probs accepting medical card.

thanks all for the replies........

Advertisement