Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to the B5 Galaxy

Options
  • 21-03-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I vagley remember watchin a few episode in the 90's, and after reading comments and leaving comments in the other tread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878454

I've taken the plunge and dived right in, and bought Season 1.

I've just finished watchin the first 4 episodes, and to be perfectly honest it hasn't sparked my imagination. but then again neither did farscape in the first 4 episodes neither did DS9 in the first season. But I stuck with them and it payed off. I'm hoping it will pay off with B5.

I was a little shocked at how dated the graphics looked, but then again TNG looks just as dated. I can't wait to start learning more about the centari and the narm and the minbarri (sorry about the spelling) so far Garabaldi is my favourite character he has something of a comic about him.

Thats my lot for now I'm sure I'll add more as I continue deeper into B5 s1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah it starts off quite episodic, but dont fear it will soon kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

trish, where did you buy season one? how much?

im in the same boat, i saw one or two episodes back in the day but never got into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

trishw78 wrote:
    I've just finished watchin the first 4 episodes, and to be perfectly honest it hasn't sparked my imagination. but then again neither did farscape in the first 4 episodes neither did DS9 in the first season. But I stuck with them and it payed off. I'm hoping it will pay off with B5.

Oh believe me, it will pay of big time. Yes, Season 1 is very shakey, but once you get into Season 2, it's just absolutely unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Season1: Patchy, some good episodes, some pretty bad ones.
    Season2: Pretty good, story starts to progress here properly.
    Season3: Excellent, real good build up and story/charecter develpment
    Season4: Best series in Sci-Fi history imo, in just about anything actually.
    Season5: Good, but a bit disjointed at times.

Thats my take on it anyway, its very important to watch them in order if you want to get the full enjoyment out of it though.

personally i loved season 1, sinclair is one of my fav characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I got it in Cork last weekend in HMV for €39.99 I could only afford 1 season so I got the first one.

Some of the acting is a bit dodgy. But it's fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Hard for me to pick a favourite, so many great characters IMO, for a favourite throughout the 5 series I'd have to pick
    Garibaldi
    for those who aren't in all 5 series or who I don't find as likable at the start;
    either Marcus or G'Kar, after his drug rage and epiphany
    , maybe Lyta
    in series 5 anyway where she really flexes those mental muscles;)
    . Though Zathras was amusing...:)

I know this post is almost entirely blocked out but heck, best leave all the surprises for those who've not seen the entire thing.

EDIT: just blanked out one of the names incase no has seen all of it - madrab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

My sister rented out B5 from her local video store... who had the complete collection.... This is going back a whiles.... in Music City in Rathmines.

Just in case people are afraid of commiting to buying B5, when they can dip their
    toes by renting.

Also, while the first series may seem like a number of separate episodes, they
    build up the characters, and there's always hints at what is coming...

"Nobody there is quite what they seem" :-)

trishw78 wrote:
    I got it in Cork last weekend in HMV for €39.99 I could only afford 1 season so I got the first one.

Some of the acting is a bit dodgy. But it's fun
    yeah there can be a bit of ham now and again (im looking at you sheridan! :) )

I've kinda guessed that they were eluding to something we're about to find out in the future ie
    In Soul Hunter Delann is about to tell Sinclar something but passes out.

Madrab I was thinking of Susan Ivanova, but yeah Sinclar as well a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Can get the Entire Universe (5 seasons plus films and Crusade) for just over 200 euros on Amazon. I'm a-saving at the mo!

yeah thats a great boxset & would have saved me a fortune compared to buying all the seasons new @ release, but ahh well i had to have them :)

Oh my lord I finshed watchin s1 and omg omg omg omg it was amazing can't wait till i get s2. Loved it loved it loved it

trishw78 wrote:
    Oh my lord I finshed watchin s1 and omg omg omg omg it was amazing can't wait till i get s2. Loved it loved it loved it
    another convert, fantastic :D

I'm going to rewatch s1 again... can't get to HMV till the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

trishw78 wrote:

Hah! If this is your reaction to season 1, I'll dread to think what'll happen when you see seasons 3 and 4. Carefull now, or you'll probably spontaneously combust.

i was the exact same when season 1 ended so many years ago on channel 4 & having to wait 3 or 4 months for the next season was horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Bought all 5 seasons last year still have to finish off watching season 5. Over all it has been good, Season 3 and 4 are class.

half way through season 1 again I'm waiting for season 2 to arrive form amazon and season 3 is sitting on a shelf at homeI was thinkin of watchin last nite but decied I should wait to see S2 in case I miss anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

trishw78 wrote:
    half way through season 1 again I'm waiting for season 2 to arrive form amazon and season 3 is sitting on a shelf at homeI was thinkin of watchin last nite but decied I should wait to see S2 in case I miss anything.

:eek: Do NOT watch s3 before s2!!! You'll ruin it! This is for you're own good. Be patient and you'll thank yourself for it later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

:eek: Do NOT watch s3 before s2!!! You'll ruin it! This is for you're own good. Be patient and you'll thank yourself for it later!

Agreed!!

Hands off man! (am going through the same process with Battlestar Galactica at the moment - it would be so easy to jump way ahead and watch the second season on sky one on tuesdays... BUT NO!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

trish i at least have to warn you that by the end of the show you will be extremely attached to it. two episodes in particular will be very emotional

Season 4 Episode 20 Endgame
    (episode 22 has a very short and sad peice too)

and

Season 5 Episode 23 Sleeping in Light

Have the hankies ready.

trishw78 wrote:
    DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! watch it in sequence

jaggeh wrote:
    trish i at least have to warn you that by the end of the show you will be extremely attached to it. two episodes in particular will be very emotional

Season 4 Episode 20 Endgame
    (episode 22 has a very short and sad peice too)

and

Season 5 Episode 23 Sleeping in Light

Have the hankies ready.
    As far as emotional episodes I though Ivanova's scene at the start of s4e21 (rising star) was probably the most powerful scene in Babylon5, or any sci-fi. And unless Im missing something theres only 22 episodes in series5, with Sleeping in Light being the 22nd :) (pardon the analness)

But yes, some very moving episodes in Babylon5, and unless you watch them in order you will be kicking yourself for not getting the full effect out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

sleeping in the light was filmed outside of the normal list of 22 episodes.

however you are right in saying there is only 22 episodes. it is however episode 23
    hows that for anal :D

03/08/08 89 502 No Compromises
    03/08/11 90 503 The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
    03/08/12 91 504 The Paragon of Animals
    03/08/13 92 505 A View from the Gallery
    03/08/14 93 506 Learning Curve
    03/08/15 94 507 Strange Relations
    03/08/18 95 508 Secrets of the Soul
    03/08/19 97 509 In the Kingdom of the Blind
    03/08/20 98 510 A Tragedy of Telepaths
    03/08/21 99 512 Phoenix Rising
    03/08/22 96 511 Day of the Dead
    03/08/25 100 513 The Ragged Edge
    03/08/26 101 514 The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father
    03/08/27 102 515 Meditations on the Abyss
    03/08/28 103 516 Darkness Ascending
    03/08/29 104 517 And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder
    03/09/01 105 518 Movements of Fire and Shadow
    03/09/02 106 519 The Fall of Centauri Prime
    03/09/03 107 520 Wheel of Fire
    03/09/04 108 521 Objects in Motion
    03/09/05 109 522 Objects at Rest
    03/09/08 110 523 Sleeping in Light

What happened episode 1? lol, thats a bit odd, spectacularly anal jaggeh, I salute you :)

Advertisement