Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Worrier

Options
  • 20-03-2006 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me break the cycle? I'm only 25 but I constantly worry about so many things that I am starting to find it so hard to sleep at night.I get knots in my stomach and feel like my heart is going to explode through my chest. I get really panicky and wind myself up no end. I'm my own worst enemy.I'm in a relationship for 6 months now and (although I don't reveal it-I'm a good actor) I worry that my boyfriend will get bored of me if I'm not constantly in a good mood or if I'm stressed (which makes the whole thing worse although i keep tabs on this pretty well). I worry about not getting a suitable job. (I graduated 3 years ago and still have not settled in my selected field of employment).

I worry that minor fights with my friends will mean they will get fed up with me and I'll end up with none (which causes me to apologise when it's not my fault). I feel like my once busy social life has come to a complete standstill in the past six months because when I am down I don't want to see my friends and hear about their mostly happy lives. I worry about my family who live about 5 hours away. I basically feel like a loser since I went through a really stressful situation a few months ago which made me feel like a reject. It was not an inter-personal thing but something that academically made me feel so useless and of no worth. I guess this all boils down to confidence but I am so overwhelmed with worries I don't know where to begin. I am a fairly proactive person usually and if something isn't working I go about changing it. But this time I've been knocked for six and feel so miserable and anxious.Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Why not try meditating or something like that. Even exercise can help things like anxiety. If you go for a jog, it releases endorphins, which make you happier and more relaxed. If you try a couple of things and they don't work, maybe you should see your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wing chun or tai chi will train your mind you won't care if satain himself appeatrs in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

you strike me as a worrier. this is something that may stick with you for ever and comes from deep insecurities. you just have to realise that your family, boyfriend and friends love you for who you are. never stop being yourself, it's the sure way to lose what's important to you. as for your job, if you feel that you're in the wrong area for you, then maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere. remember fortune favours the brave - just chance your arm and go for afew jobs that you want and maybe something will come up. good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

you sound very insecure and lacking in confidence to me. the only way to change them is to confront your fears head on. you make your own happiness. be strong. try exercise or meditating. this could help by taking your mind off things

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

reading your thread was almost like me talkin because i know how you feel i can be the greatest worrier going. its a hard thing to overcome but ive never feel better than when i go to hockey training, even a walk when things seem too much can help.
    there are about five defined different types of anxiety and what your descibing seems to be generalised anxiety. Maybe you should approach an counsellor or your GP. You never know, all you may need is someone to listen to you and let you talk everything out. it certainly helped for me.
    I know feeling like this can feel pretty crappy but it can be beaten!
    hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement