Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to start a business in carpentry

Options
  • 20-03-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can anyone help me with a few tips on how to start a business by my own as kitchen fitter in Dublin?
    I have a year experience with a qualified carpenter who never signed me down on FAS, so now I know the work and I would like to get the good money, instead of depending on the guy and getting **** money.
    Should I go straight to the kitchen suppliers and ask for a job? What do they require? Is it better to find a customer and then go to the kitchen supplier?
    What's the story for insurance?

Thanks a mill for the help,
    Giu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

im going to move this down to the woodcrafts forum as they very helpful there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

As far as I know with In-House you just leave your card in with them and they hand them on to customer Not sure what the rest of them do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

I would say get yourself an accountant first to manage your tax etc. You will probably be deemed self employed as a form of subbie to the kitchen suppliers. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 giulia

Thank you very much for the tips!!!
    Giu

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

There's nothing to stop you working for yourself if you have the experience, tools, van and clients wanting you to install kitchens for them. You may be able to get by without a van but not without your own tools.
    You could buy kitchens from Noyeks or The Panelling Center or wherever at trade prices and then install them for whatever price you can get. Places like these may take your details and keep you on a list of kitchen fitters but in the end I reckon the customer has to choose you to fit their kitchen. Are you going to be able to offer a complete fit including plumbing and electrical?

Otherwise you could try to get a job with one of the kitchen fitters. You would be paid a wage and all tools etc would be provided. It may be hard to get a a well paid job considering your experience and the availability of cheap foreign workers.

If you work for yourself you would have to ring revenue and get it sorted, just register for VAT and tell revenue what you're doing...

Everything in business is expensive, don't expect insurance to be cheap.... probably €1,000 a year minimum...

Hope it works out,
    Joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement