Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chase Bank phishing?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Received the following a short while ago :
    [NB: with Chase logo/letterhead]
    Chase Bank is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

March 19, 2006: We would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive Chase Bank account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

(Your case ID for this reason is CHSE04-410-320-3334.)

At Chase Bank, one of our most important responsibilities to you, our customer, is the safekeeping of the nonpublic personal ("confidential") information you have entrusted to us and using this information in a responsible manner. Appropriate use of the confidential information you provide us is also at the heart of our ability to provide you with exceptional personal service whenever you contact us.

How can I restore my account access?

Please confirm your identity here: Restore My Online Banking Account and complete the "Steps to Remove Limitations."

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your account access.

Copyright © 2006 Chase Manhattan Bank Inc. All rights reserved.

My reply, naturally:
    Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your notice and your continued efforts in stamping out the illegal practice of phishing.

There is just one small problem with your message, however: I do not bank with you.

Now fùck off in a corner and die.

Kind Regards,

[NB: my email nick as per msg adressee]
    :D

Anyone received this? Are phishers getting that indiscriminate that they don't even bother targeting their emails anymore (to at least existing customers)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

i got that to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ambro25 wrote:
    Received the following a short while ago :

My reply, naturally:

Anyone received this? Are phishers getting that indiscriminate that they don't even bother targeting their emails anymore (to at least existing customers)?

You should never feed the Phishes, it just encourages them.

Now they know your email address is real...

And how would the phishers know who existing customers, the bank would hardly give them a customer list.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

And how would the phishers know who existing customers, the bank would hardly give them a customer list.
    There are a number of ways that they can think of. I can think of one only, where by they use a fake online store. When someone trys to buy something they reply with sorry but bank x will not authorise that transaction. Poor bloke replys with but my bank is y please try again. They slap his details into real store sending on purchase and maxing credit card on other stuff. Then send out mail from bank and since his card just got maxed he is all to eager to secure his bank account, thus they clean him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

So explain how do Phishers get to know the email address linked to your eBay account?

That's what I meant by 'targeted'. Phishing scams that I've seen to date always have at least something convincing about them, such as the right 'nick, or the correct email associated with an account or an ID of a site which I do use, etc.

This is the first time I've had a phishing attempt where there is no causal link whatsoever - I don't bank with Chase, never have, never used it as a dummy for a site, or any other situation that I can think of.
    You should never feed the Phishes, it just encourages them.

Now they know your email address is real...

Not that I'm bothered - it's my work email, which in all probability they've lifted from the company website. Not the first to try, and I doubt they'll be the last. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

yeah i used to get loads exactly like that 'from' the likes of Barclays, TSB etc. It got so bad that i was tempted to write a proggie that would just spam them with fake info, don't think the college i'm in would like that one tho....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

take a look at this

slightly different method, but could be the same lot doing it

Advertisement