Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexic

Options
  • 19-03-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Basicly all through my life every teacher that ive ever had has been telling my parentls that i have the ability its just that im not working, the thing is though is every time ive ever tried to Study really hard i can never do it.

Recently ive also been noticeing that sometimes i have a tendancy to write things starting with the last letters and going forward as in i might write tayto ytoat.Its not just this either ive had problems with spellings since i can remember and ive had problems with mutiplication and Foreign languages too.

Anyway i didnt think much of it untill one day my art teacher pulled me aside and said that she noticed that i had a load of scribbled out words in my essays and that some of my sentaces are wrote backwars and stuff and she asked was i dislexic.

I was kinda offended at the tiem but after looking into it i noticed that she was right and that it all seemed to fit.So anyway i dont want to go off telling my parents i think im dislexic untill i get a bit of further Proff or whatever and i was wondering if anyone knows any sites that do dislexia testing for free if possible.Been looking around for ages and i cant seem to find one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

(Modnote: if anyone posts derogatory comments towards user's spelling/grammar; they get a ban)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have a friend with the same problem. Have alook here.

http://www.dyslexia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i dont want to go off telling my parents i think im dislexic untill i get a bit of further Proff

LOL sorry, i dont mean to be cruel, but lol

magick wrote:
    LOL sorry, i dont mean to be cruel, but lol
    Wow, faster than I thought!

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Whilst I am taking the warning above very seriously I have read the last 25 posts by the OP and aside from normal typos / errors no one would ever believe that dyslexia was an issue for the OP. :confused:

Perhaps you are lucky enough to be only mildly affected. If so it shouldn't hold you back in life.

• Advertisement

Are there not varying degrees of dyslexia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sunshiney

is_that_so wrote:
    I have a friend with the same problem. Have alook here.

http://www.dyslexia.ie/

Wow €350 to have an assesment done, I'm sure that must put a lot of people off. Surely a service like that should be available for free.
    I've heard that dyslexia affects words and numbers, just wondering if it always affects the two, like if you find maths no problem but have trouble with letters is it unlikely that you're dyslexic.

It can also affect directions. My friend struggles with "right" and "left" and needs either a drawing or hand signals. Maybe approaching your parents might help :) or the teacher who pointed it out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

Patricide wrote:
    Basicly all through my life every teacher that ive ever had has been telling my parentls that i have the ability its just that im not working, the thing is though is every time ive ever tried to Study really hard i can never do it.

Recently ive also been noticeing that sometimes i have a tendancy to write things starting with the last letters and going forward as in i might write tayto ytoat.Its not just this either ive had problems with spellings since i can remember and ive had problems with mutiplication and Foreign languages too.

Anyway i didnt think much of it untill one day my art teacher pulled me aside and said that she noticed that i had a load of scribbled out words in my essays and that some of my sentaces are wrote backwars and stuff and she asked was i dislexic.

I was kinda offended at the tiem but after looking into it i noticed that she was right and that it all seemed to fit.So anyway i dont want to go off telling my parents i think im dislexic untill i get a bit of further Proff or whatever and i was wondering if anyone knows any sites that do dislexia testing for free if possible.Been looking around for ages and i cant seem to find one.

I dont have dislexcia sorry if i spelt it wrong . I have something simular to that i find it really hard to sit down and study , Also i find it very hard to concentrate alot to

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP, it does not sound like you are affected too badly with dyslexia

I know people in my class that are very dyslexic, and they have a really hard time, writing whole words backwards and all that.

I don't know much about dyslexia, but maybe you should be thankful that you are not affected as bas as other people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If you are dyslexic, you should talk with your parents; they'll try to help if there's a problem. You may already know this, but students with dyslexia don't have to do certain subjects (I think it's Irish, or maybe a foreign language), and there are certain grants available from the government depending on your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Brown_Eyed_Girl

Not sure about grants but certain schools do allocate funds to help and also the educational assessment itself is tax deductable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i have the same problem. i went to a guy called alan carr.he is based around ringsend area. im not exactly sure but i will try find out contact details for you.

many people have the same problem but are ashamed to reveal it, but you shouldnot be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dont bann the guy im seriously 100% ok with my ****ty spelling, like proff that wasnt me spelling wrong thats just me typing fast.

I think one guy up there said that with the rest of my posts that there are no **** ups that should really put me under the dislexic catagory but then again ive been looking into it and spellings arent the only things affected.

Also there are vareying degrees of dislexia to my knowlege, im not saying i would have a severe case but more a minor one, and i really do think its holding me back from learning, hence why i was looking for some free test so i can see if its worth taking one that i would have to pay for.

I mean at the end of the day even if i have mild dislexia and i am properly diagnosed with it, it could seriously help me in my leaving cert giving me more time to fix up errors, possibly getting a spelling exemtion in english and possibly even an exemption in irish depending on how badly im off, it would also help me figure out how to study better if you get me.

Im not saying im horribly bad off and its destroying my life or anythign im just saying that it would give me a helping hand getting an education.

Patricide wrote:
    Dont bann the guy im seriously 100% ok with my ****ty spelling, like proff that wasnt me spelling wrong thats just me typing fast.

I think one guy up there said that with the rest of my posts that there are no **** ups that should really put me under the dislexic catagory but then again ive been looking into it and spellings arent the only things affected.

Also there are vareying degrees of dislexia to my knowlege, im not saying i would have a severe case but more a minor one, and i really do think its holding me back from learning, hence why i was looking for some free test so i can see if its worth taking one that i would have to pay for.

I mean at the end of the day even if i have mild dislexia and i am properly diagnosed with it, it could seriously help me in my leaving cert giving me more time to fix up errors, possibly getting a spelling exemtion in english and possibly even an exemption in irish depending on how badly im off, it would also help me figure out how to study better if you get me.

Im not saying im horribly bad off and its destroying my life or anythign im just saying that it would give me a helping hand getting an education.

You just reminded me of a man I know whose daughter was diagnosed in collge. She can do exams with a dictionary. AFAIK she can use a laptop as well with a spell checker. Made a world of difference to her since as college was very stressful up until that point. She now enjoys college. The point really is that if you do have dyslexia, mild or otherwise it can affect how people see your potential. From what I can see there is a lot of help out there. Get tested and tell your parents. I'm sure that they will want to help you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I'm mildly dyslexic myself...have problems with spelling and and reading.The problem I have with reading is I sometimes cannot see a word and sentances don't make sense to me so I insert words that are not there. This was picked up early in school and hasn't really effected me in working life.Just have to read things slower and a couple of times.

It's not a major problem....and people understand.

By they way like the "Dont ban the guy attitude" that's going to stand to later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Just so the OP knows, you cant get tested online. Due to the nature of Dyslexia it needs to be done by someone in person. While the testing is expensive, it is worth it in the long run. It will help you get better suiting learning tools to help you in school.

But keep in mind. Dyslexia doesn't hold you back. You hold you back. If you dont limit you-self because you have Dyslexia, you wont be limited to what you can do in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Why is it so difficult for dyslexic people to reread their posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭NewOxfordReview

So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Why do you care?

I'd rather read a dyslexic poster's contributions than the grammatical horror that is txt spk.

• Advertisement

alantc wrote:
    Why is it so difficult for dyslexic people to reread their posts?

is that like why its so hard for smart asses to keep from replying to make them-selfs feel more intelligent? You did read the second post in this thread right?

Also OP, tell your perents that you want to get tested. There is no reason hiding it from them. They need to know you are having problems and that there is a reason it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

sutty wrote:
    is that like why its so hard for smart asses to keep from replying to make them-selfs feel more intelligent? You did read the second post in this thread right?

Also OP, tell your perents that you want to get tested. There is no reason hiding it from them. They need to know you are having problems and that there is a reason it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭NewOxfordReview

Sutty, you should probably get tested too.

I already have, and am. Thanks though its nice to see people care :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I have exactly the same issues, Math’s, English, and Foreign languages, I have only recently realised that I have those problems, I was very bored and disruptive in school, they never helped, they just put me to one side or out of the class as to not disrupt others. I left school along time ago, so I would not imagine that the behavioral training would have been the same

Now for all my emails, I spell check everything. I use the Google spell check, and for all-important emails, I will get my wife to check them before they’re sent.

I recently started taken a prescription drug to help me give up smoking (which worked) I have found that it has made an amazing difference to concentration and written documents.

Advertisement