Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childhood friends

Options
  • 19-03-2006 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I love my childhood friends but sometimes I think they drag you down. Has anyone here ever cut off from them for this reason. I think its sad but I cant deal with the negativity. Its like history both binds us andogets in the way.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah the best friends forever scenario. When you are kids you never think anything will come between you are your best friend and that you will be best friends for lif, however you then both start to mature find out yous want different things from life, go to diffferent colleges get girlfriends/boyfriends and basically grow to be further apart from each other.
    Some people grow apart from the friends they had a kids and the fact that your called them childhood friends and not just friends tells you you are ready to move on and find a new group of friends or jsut enlarge the circle of friends you have at the moment just remember to always have people around you who you want to have around you not just people you use to want to have arond but no longer do. It is ok to mature and want different things from life

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I love my childhood friends but sometimes I think they drag you down. Has anyone here ever cut off from them for this reason. I think its sad but I cant deal with the negativity. Its like history both binds us andogets in the way.

What do you think?

i've cut off from groups of friends two or three times in my life. sometimes you just need to get away from people or strangle them to death

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Cut off? Eh... I guess so...
    I mean, it's not like I woke up one morning and erased all proof of their existance in my life, but I've often lost contact with someone and not made an effort because i knew the friendship wasn't solid anymore... that's more like growing apart or drifting apart I suppose;

If you think your friends are holding you back in anyway, I'd say try and phase them out, if you know what I mean? See how things are when you don't spend so much time together, maybe your friendship has just evolved, maybe it has ended.
    It's only natural to change as you grow up, and even the closest of friends don't change the exact same way, you just have to deal with it as best you can, I'm sure if your friendship isn't what it was they know it too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I felt like my friends were holding me back and that's largely why I skipped the country for college. On closer inspection, they were kind of holding me back but not as much as I thought. While we've grown apart a little because of the distance, they're still my friends and I'm grateful for that.

I don't think you need to cut them off completely, but maybe make some new friends on top of them. Although you haven't exactly supplied any details, so it's hard to advise.

Advertisement