Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface incoming call delay

Options
  • 18-03-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

hi all,

got my blueface account set up since yesterday and have been calling everyone I know testing it. Overall the quality is excellent but I have a small problem where the incoming call rings 3 times on the originating side before it start on my phone. This doesnt give me much time to then get to the phone before the other person hangs up. My setup is,

Irishbroadband WIFI - Linksys WRT54G - Grandstream 486 (V2) - Eircom Wireless Phone.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Any pointers would be great.

I've used the setup guide from the site but the web interface looks to be slightly different to my unit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

BrianjG wrote:
    hi all,

got my blueface account set up since yesterday and have been calling everyone I know testing it. Overall the quality is excellent but I have a small problem where the incoming call rings 3 times on the originating side before it start on my phone.
    There shouldn't be any ringing delay with SIP. Suggest you test your set-up with another account - e.g. go to www.smart076.ie - they allocate you a free 076 number instantly and if you call it from another line your phone should ring at the same time as you hear the first ringing tone.

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Hi,
    Please check the settings on your phone - some phones do not ring until at least 3 rings have been received because they wait to see if it is a text message that is arriving for them.
    Try a normal wired phone to check incoming ring time.
    good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

619C wrote:
    Hi,
    Please check the settings on your phone - some phones do not ring until at least 3 rings have been received because they wait to see if it is a text message that is arriving for them.
    Try a normal wired phone to check incoming ring time.
    good luck..

hadnt thought of that but it worked fine for years in our eircom landline. but in saying that the phone doesnt have the option to receive txt.

While testing last night I noticed that the 486 flashes straight away when the call come in but the phone does nothing. might pick up a cheap wired unit today to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could logon to your blueface account click on the PBX GUI and change the time on voicmail preferences to give you a longer time to answer before the call is switched to voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

the problem was that people were hanging up before that anyway.

Anyway it looks like its the phone. I changed to an old wired unit and it works fine. Just need to find a wireless unit now without sms.

Thanks Guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Try changing the ring style on your ata, most are set for the us style of ringgg gap ringgggg gap, rather then ring ring the uk/irish style, it confuses the hell out of the SMS phones, they wait much longer than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 voiceless

How do you change the ringing style on Linksys RT31P2 to a Irish Style ringer.
    I'd love to it the USA style drives me mad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

voiceless wrote:

Open your browser and enter 192.168.15.1. When the login screen appears, enter 'admin' for username and 'admin' for password. Then search around the menus for country selection or something similar. Select Greece or UK and you should get ring tones similare to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

voiceless wrote:
    The British ringing tones used by Smart076 drive me mad!

Despite the fact that my VoIP phone is set to use the international standard ETSI ringing tone used in most countries (eg everywhere in Continental Europe (except for Gibraltar), virtually everywhere in Asia, Latin America, and Africa, Smart087 insist on overriding the ringing tone with the British ringing tone used by eircom. Occasionally when calling an ISDN number, one hears the standard ringing tone. However most of the time one calls a number in Germany or France and one gets a confusing British ringing tone.

While Eircom updated their tones to international standard tones when they started installing digital exchanges in the early 80s, they retained the antiquated non-standard British ringing tone. The American ringing tone sounds as if it is generated by electromechanical relays – a technology which probably dates back to the 1930s or even earlier!

The creation of the non-standard ringing tone used in Ireland on GSM mobile phones wastes an incredible amount of wireless bandwidth because the tone has to be generated in the exchange and transmitted over the air interface while the called subscriber’s number is ringing. Every GSM2 and GSM3 phone has the standard ringing tone built into it, eliminating the need for a sound circuit to be opened over the air interface until the called party answers.

Yet another example of the poor standard of telecoms regulation in Ireland.

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

BrianjG wrote:
    the problem was that people were hanging up before that anyway.

Anyway it looks like its the phone. I changed to an old wired unit and it works fine. Just need to find a wireless unit now without sms.

Thanks Guys.
    I'm having the same trouble with my Panasonic DECT SMS handsets. There's a delay before the handset actually rings. Are there any settings that I can change on the linksys wireless router & ATA (WRT54GP2) to change this?

Cheers,

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

BrianjG wrote:
    hi all,

got my blueface account set up since yesterday and have been calling everyone I know testing it. Overall the quality is excellent but I have a small problem where the incoming call rings 3 times on the originating side before it start on my phone. This doesnt give me much time to then get to the phone before the other person hangs up. My setup is,

Irishbroadband WIFI - Linksys WRT54G - Grandstream 486 (V2) - Eircom Wireless Phone.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Any pointers would be great.

I've used the setup guide from the site but the web interface looks to be slightly different to my unit.

It's the Eircom Wireless Phone, i have the same setup wth a Grandstream 486, the eircom handsfree phone's are made by siemens, and they are as cheep as hell, drive's me up the wall, when i use the menus on it, now althought there is nothing wrong with Siemens phones in general it's just eircom get the base model. Typical!
    Try a basic wired phone, and you will see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dpb

You will need to change the ring pattern of your ATA to remove this delay.

The Linksys unit that you have was originally a Sipura unit, and so you can find the detailed administration menu at http://your-linksysip/Voice_adminPage.htm

Once there, the important settings are the ones related to Ring Cadence (ring tones) that you will find under the Regional tab. You can also change the dial tones to sound more Irish.

Irish settings are the same (close enough) to the UK settings, and so you can use the configuration at http://esupport.gradwell.net/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=199&nav=0 that was designed for a Sipura 3000 (hence all the references to a PSTN line that can be ignored).

Changing the ring tones will fix the delay issue, but changing values such as the impedence will improve how your call sounds as your phone is expecting an Irish phone line and not an American line which is how the defaults are set.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

dpb wrote:
    You will need to change the ring pattern of your ATA to remove this delay.

The Linksys unit that you have was originally a Sipura unit, and so you can find the detailed administration menu at http://your-linksysip/Voice_adminPage.htm

Once there, the important settings are the ones related to Ring Cadence (ring tones) that you will find under the Regional tab. You can also change the dial tones to sound more Irish.

Irish settings are the same (close enough) to the UK settings, and so you can use the configuration at http://esupport.gradwell.net/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=199&nav=0 that was designed for a Sipura 3000 (hence all the references to a PSTN line that can be ignored).

Changing the ring tones will fix the delay issue, but changing values such as the impedence will improve how your call sounds as your phone is expecting an Irish phone line and not an American line which is how the defaults are set.

This was a great help dpb. Thanks. I set the ring 1 cadence to the uk settings in the above site and the phone rings instantly now, though it sounds a bit weird for first 2 rings. After that, it's ring ring as normal Irish/UK phones. Perhaps I can change the cadence to some other setting to get it to ring properly from the start? I used: Ring 1 cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)

Thanks again.

DC

Advertisement