Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about smallville season 5

Options
  • 18-03-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I have heard that the recent series of smallville is meant to be really good. My question is what part could i start watching so i would know whats going on with the plot. Season 4???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

well i suppose you cud start at season 4, if you have any issues just ask and im sure ill be able to answer them. the way Smallvlle runs a season finale and the next season opener are always like two part epiisodes so matter which one you start at you will be missing something but id suggest season 4 rather than season 5

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well season 4 would be likely to put you off the show as it's fairly crap. Most of the story you'll know already, as it's basically Superman.

They seem to have started from scratch with most of the Season 5 story so you can pretty much jump right in. Here's a story so far which should explain the main elements:
    Clark Kent has been growing up in Smallville. He's had an on-again, off-again romance with the annoying Lana Lang for a few years now and whom he hasn't told that he's gay, I mean super-powered.

He has a friend in Chloe Sullivan, who is very like the Lois Lane we normally know from Superman adaptations. Chloe is in love with Clark but Clark doesn't feel the same way about her. Mid-way through season 4, she finds out his "secret".

To quell the rumours that she becomes Lois Lane later in the series (she uses it as her nom de plum in one episode), the writers introduce the "real" Lois Lane, an annoying ditz who looks about 35.

Clark meets Lex Luthor in the pilot episode after Lex runs him over in his car at 60mph. Since then Lex has been obsessed with finding out how Clark survived the accident and befriends him with the hope of discovering his secret. It's a fairly complex situation as Lex does value their friendship in its own regard, so it's one of the more interesting aspects of the show. It's also very very gay ;) In Season 3, Clark finds out that Lex has been investigating him and breaks up with him. They get back together in Season 4 but Clark loses trust in him again and they're pretty much at loggerheads come Season 5.

Lex has an abusive father Lionel Luthor, a ruthless business tycoon. (also known as "That Magnificent Bastard"). Clark's mother used to work for Lionel in the past and he still holds her in high regard.

There are the "Caves of Contrivance" left by previous Kryptonian visits to Earth which contain some interesting artifacts and a portal to the Arctic and the location of the Fortress of Solitude. (the portal needs to be activated by a key, which provided "pass the parcel" stories for much of the 3rd season).

Jor-El is a bit of a **** in Smallville, as opposed to the nice guy he is in the movies and comics. He wants Clark to rule the human race and at one point captures Clark and causes him to become possessed with the spirit of "Kal-El" , Jor-El's version of what he wanted Clark to be. Although it's possible that most of Clark's interactions with Jor-El were Zod pretending to be Jor-El as Clark is the only one that can destory the Fortress of Solitude and Jor-El's spirit. Jor-El seems to be more benevolent when in the Fortress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye dont start off with season 4,its utter rubish. I don't know about you but I have to see a show from the very start if I want to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you're starting from Season 5, do watch the Season 4 finale "Commencement" as it's actually quite good and provides the kickstart for Season 5.

Seasons 1&2 are also quite good so it might not be a bad idea to start from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

it's just i find season 1 is almost like dawson creek with special powers. i watch it but i don't think it;s great but i have heard season 5 is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

that whole Dawson creek theme runs thru the every season but is especially strong from Season 1-3

well i'm after watching the first season and it's begining to grow on me. season finale is quite good. Does anyone think that the guy who plays clake is not a great acter? Or is it the fact they don't need to develop him since we know he is superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

well he has improved alot and shows it when he has to act out of character
    ( when exposed to red & silver krytonite) he also had to play a nerdy (american ## N.B) teenager in it so its hard to judge his acting too much.

just wondering how many episodes is there going to be in the fifth season and wat episode are they currently on. Want to get them for future viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Season 5 Episode 16 (104th overall episode, Hypnotic) will be shown this week in the states.
    There's an episode guide on tv.com:
    http://www.tv.com/smallville/show/1718/episode_guide.html&season=5
    Which shows that there were 22 episodes last season.
    Only showing a guide as far as episode 19 this season.
    But that's probably because they don't have a summary or air-date yet.
    Probably 22 again this season.

• Advertisement

cool. What do ye make of fifth season with giving away any spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Great recap there Stark. Yes... it does indeed seem very gay by times.

I only really got hooked on the show in season 3... but I absolutely hated season 4... Season 5 has been slightly better... but still has more than it's fair share of absolute clunkers of episodes.

Last nights episode was great though.. I really loved how the scenes at the end were shot. It looked great.

so if i was to say which was best season (please don't say season 1 cause i've seen that and it wasn't great, except for season finale)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Season 3 was my favourite... and it had an outstanding finale.

cool going through season 2 now so will look forward to that

Hey again, finally am up to date on smallville. Waiting for the season finale of season 5 now. Season 5 wasn't as good as expected really. I did think season 3 was good. The season finale's are in a class of there own really... really good tv. I think the characters of lex and Lynole are the best. I think it was a bit much introducing lois lane. kinda going against the whole superman story. Like if she knows wat he looks like without glasses...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think this show could have a singular question that might be answered when the show finishs.

I find opening up new question all the time is highly annoying when they are unwilling not to answer any of the orginal questions.

You don't feel like your part of the finding out stage when characters find out about Clarke i.e. Chloe finding out that clarke has super powers, look he can lift a car.
    Like if she knows wat he looks like without glasses...

You have to remember that it's not the glasses that's the disguse it's his whole character of Mild Mannered Reporter Clarke Kent.

He has 3 characters: Clarke Smallville, Clarke Reporter and Clarke Superman.

But then each character is still only 17 or 18. Why don't the grow up?

Oh and also the fact that the episode never go anywhere?

Lets get over Lana and Clarke, Please/

Rant Ends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Season finale was class, but uuuugh the whole Lana thing is just driving me mental at this stage. She's more annoying than nails scraping down a blackboard, aaaagh! Chloe kicks ass!!!! :D

I think, the fact they have kinda retold superman's youth, with a lot of references to comics and films, they should keep going and retell the whole superman story.

Advertisement