Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 6000 - dies on boot up. Any ideas?

Options
  • 18-03-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

My dad ordered one of these laptops from the Dell factory outlet. I'm just trying to turn it on and on the boot up it dies immediately. Nothing comes up on the screen.

I've tried starting it up with the plug in and battery out etc. but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Where does it die before Dell bios or after?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

KdjaC wrote:
    Where does it die before Dell bios or after?

kdjac
    Before, it doesn't even get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Either a major hardware fault or the power supply isnt working and the battery is dead. But tis brand new so ring dell.

Can you borrow another power supply/battery?

You could ensure everything is connected mainly RAM and HD, not sure if opening them new voids your warranty so check that before you go opening it :)

kdjac

I had a similar problem with my Latitude D600 and the motherboard needed replacing. I hope that's not the case.

The laptop is an outlet one. It appears to be fine. I sent the online customer support an email so hopefully they can shed some light on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dan nukem

How long have you had it?

Might sound a bit stupid, but check that its not turning on automatically when you open it(you thereby turning it off again).

And check that the battery isn't totally flaad i.e. plug it in and try again

• Advertisement

It just arrived today from the courier. It's not already on, I'm turning it on and it dies and makes that weird sound when you pull the battery out when it's on.

Very irritating indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dan nukem

Thats an odd one mate, sounds like a faulty power supply in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

eliminate the power issue first. remove the battery,all devices including ac and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. test on ac power,leave the battery out. if your computer switches off after a few seconds, then its a mainboard failure more than likely, if there is no power at all, then its probably a faulty with the ac (when the battery in you might be getting enough power from the battery to initially boot but then it shuts down), eitherway, there is a fault and your surely entitled to a new computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i had the same problem recently too out of the box, tried everything, eventually i just got it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I had the same happen on my i9100 last year, it turned out that the pins of the p4 were shorting and blew the motherboard.
    It got replaced the next day, as it was a buisness order.

• Advertisement

I think it is the motherboard to be honest.I'll have to get onto Dell tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

To be honest, that's probably the problem it was returned for in the first place. If you want to PM the tag I can check why it was returned for you.

Advertisement