Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortice And Tennon Joint

Options
  • 17-03-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I want to make a mirror frame to the design in this pic but was wondering how do you create a mortice and tennon with a 45degree mitre as shown here? This is only a very quick drawing of what I'm on about. Any details on how to do this will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Send me the cad file, and I'll stick the joints on for you.

kadman:)

Just thought , a bridle joint, or a loose tongue in a slot might be better. Tenon into a mortice with wedges , would end up narrow width, and wedging would be tricky so as not to damage morticed piece

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Or invest in a biscuit joiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

just fancy making a challenging joint. Alun would love but sadly funds wont allow me to atm. Kadman sent ya that file just there!

Cant open it I'm afraid. Incompatible version.

If you can send it as a dxf , or save it as a 200 autocad, or Architectural desktop file.

kadman :)

re sent again

• Advertisement

This is one option , a bridle. Easier variation of a m&t.

kadman sent ya the cad file for this as I cant seem to upload any images at the moment here. It's a gif file i'm tryin to upload but you have the cad file now!

Yeah, that will work, but as I said you have to be careful with the short grain left on the morticed piece, as it will be fragile.

If you are looking for challenging joints, maybe you should look at japanese joinery techniques, they really stretch the technically minded.....beautiful work.

sound job! just wanted to make sure it will work! I reckon a bit of precision cutting will have to be done to make sure the 45deg points meet witout any gaps. Now all I need to do is find a way to get the timber planed up! Now thats another story!

• Advertisement

Tim any links to info on that subject of joinery?

" The Art of Japanese Joinery " by Kiyosi Seike. This type of joinery is eye opening from a western point of view, and the skill set is really incredible.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/jgard/msg0217180524475.html

I'l check that out!

wow! Those japanese know how to make trick joints! Feckin dial up is so slow bringing them images up! ahhhh

Advertisement