Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A forum for a ten year old show?

Options
  • 17-03-2006 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.. there's not a new one on the way or anything, is there?

Never watched it myself anyway... always felt it was too episodic and I (unfortunitly) missed the boat. Is it really 'all that'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Watch it.
    It is so worth while and wonderfull.
    The universe, races, religions, politics of Babylon 5 were created with such depth that it will never get old.
    The stories and chars created will live on long with you after you have finshed watching for the 3rd time.

It is not episodic the whole point was that there was a 5 year story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i think the title should read "finally a forum for a 10 year old show" :D

Personallyi think it is all that & there are a few on this board that would agree with me, but i do see your point you really had to watch it from the start to get it.
    I really loved this show for many reasons & i can admit that there was a bit of cringing involved with this show as well (some actors never got it :)). Nearly every episode had a main story arc sotry in it, even the filler spisodes
    The show had realistic physics, & shockingly a third dimesion (the z axiz) which was a first
    The shows scale always impressed me, you got the feeling that space was such a big place with so many things in it, unlike startreks new race every week attitude.
    It was the first sci-fi show to show the potentials of cgi , long before startrek jumped on to the band wagon.
    It also pioneered the long story arcs that are becomming more prevalent in modern sci-fi shows (bsg, enterprise, to a lesser extent stargate)

as for new shows, JMS, the creator of b5(& also captian power, loved that show too, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092329/) has been trying for years to get a movie made but no major developments on that yet, also there is a mmorpg in development set in the b5 universe which could be very interesting
    if you are interested in sci-fi & have a bit of time to check it out i would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I didn't know there was a mmorpg in the works that would be cool,
    I have played the rpg game for it and was pretty impressed.

yeah hopefully it gets made http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=129555

& B5 i've found her is really good if you like space shooters (plus its a free game :D) http://ifh.firstones.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Theres also a Red Dwarf forum, when was its last episode released? 1999 I think, Babylon5 has been out as recently as 2002 (granted that was 'that' film), with the last series (crusade) Being 1999. Not to mention the sheer scope of things that happened in B5, theres also some pretty sensitive topics that arise in it that could be worth discussing.

And yes I found Her (terrable name imo) is an excellent game, however its very hard to play, as compensating for inertia is damn tricky, you actually would need to train to fly one of those things nearly as well as the pilots do in the series, its also probably the most realistic space fighter sim out there, the way it handles inertia is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Goodshape wrote:
    Never watched it myself anyway... always felt it was too episodic and I (unfortunitly) missed the boat. Is it really 'all that'?

Eh, it's the exact opposite to episodic. It's a singular, epic storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

B5 is pratically unique in the annals of TV. Never have so many episodes been written by one writer, never so many indepth issues faced by an SciFi series.

There are truckloads of EXCELLENT SF novellas, novels and series, but few of the good ones ever make it to Film and less to TV. Unusually this was like an Epic novel in depth and quality, yet a written for TV series of scripts.

We may never in our lifetimes see the like again.

It takes an amazingly sensitive view of faith and spirituality, esp for US TV and and a writer than claims to be an Atheist. A subject either ignored (Star Trek) or rediculed in SF on TV and Films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

madrab wrote:
    i think the title should read "finally a forum for a 10 year old show" :D

Personallyi think it is all that & there are a few on this board that would agree with me, but i do see your point you really had to watch it from the start to get it.
    And not just the start of series one, but rather the feature length pilot ("In the Beginning", not "The Gathering", though obviously that should be the next one to watch after "In the Beginning")

in the beginning isnt the pilot but reather a prequel dealing with the earth mimbari war, & while it sets things up nicely, i dont think it should be watched before the rest of the series as it ruins alot of things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Eh, it's the exact opposite to episodic. It's a singular, epic storyline.
    Ah yea.. that's what I meant :-/

It all sounds good anyway, and I could do with some Sci-Fi to tide me over until BSG starts again in October. Must see if I can get my hands on this.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Gah, you're right, "The Gathering" was in fact the pilot (not the best of pilot episodes IMO), but still the chronological order remains unchanged and the first series does refer back to aspects of the story from "In The Beginning".

Take a look in HMV on Henry's St for the boxed sets of the individual series, they regularly sell them at half price (half the price they'd set anyway, think their normal HMV price is €50 per series), might do you (but you won't beat that eBay price on them! Damn good value to the buyer of that set).

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

It's a fantastic series.. had the pleasure of watching it in it's entirity on video last year. Have Crusade as well... shame they only made one series of that.

Would love to see more B5... not sure if a movie would have the scope to get across the ideas of the series in 90-120 mins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

madrab wrote:
    yeah hopefully it gets made http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=129555

& B5 i've found her is really good if you like space shooters (plus its a free game :D) http://ifh.firstones.com/

The Babylon Project is, in my opinion, far far superior.

http://www.hard-light.net/hosted/babylon/

Basically, its the Freespace2 engine (which was made free), modded to hell and back for the B5 universe. Sometime last year, they added the station in...flying around that is just unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ClassTeacher

Just watched the whole series on DVD and it is amazing - it still does not look dated. Yes, the depth of character and plot is amazing, but the fallability and character flaws of Sheridan makes it even more engaging.

Advertisement