Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some kind of really mild manic depression?

Options
  • 16-03-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Alright so basically this is what's happening. Now my life is going grand right now, in 6th year, bad mocks but improving fast, got a date (well, sorta) for the debs, enjoying school etc, but for some reason, I'm sad. I'll be happy one day, then for no apparent reason I'll be really down the next day. It's probably due to those damned teenage hormones (I'm 17) but it's actually gotten to the stage where it annoys me. :S Anyone know what I'm going through and can explain what's the cause?
    Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It might just be the ups and downs of life. Maybe the ups and downs of the life of a teenager.

If you feel its compromising you, talk to your parents, guidance counsellor or a teacher you can talk to. If needs be they can put you in contact with someone.

But no, it doesn't sound like clinical depression, but I'm not a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I think to some degree we're all manic depressives and coupled with the fact you're 17, a time in your life when you're going through big emotional and social changes (coming of age at 18, responsibility etc.), you're bound to be going through some inner turmoil in your head.

Hey!, I'm 22 and I'm a manic depressive, then again, I always have been. If you feel that these feelings have only come on recently I wouldn't be worried that it's going to remain a character trait, it could have come on because of what I said, coming of age and responsibility, the concept of moving on in your life etc. It's a big time in your life man, just hang in there and try to roll with it for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

This could well be caused by eating food in ways that mess up your blood sugar levels.

The highs and lows you are talking about can be caused by imbalanced blood sugar... so if you eat chocolate / drink tea or coffee or soft drinks regularly, and don't eat that well, you could cause this within yourself.

So check out "the Low GL diet" by Patrick Holford... you might find it enlightening, and be glad you did because of how you'll feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Hi Everybody, it's doctor nick here, I think you have a severe case of needing to go to a qualified medical practitioner, internet advice is not sufficient in a case like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Hey, That happens to me too, has since I was in my early teens, feeling totally depressed when if anything I should be happy, I've always just assumed it was chemical/hormonal whatever. The flipside is that sometimes I feel absolutely euphoric for little reason, not as often but I do appreciate feeling happy more when I do. I'd prefer being a little manic than just feeling ok the whole time. Having said that when life gives me a good reason to be down I could do without it:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Hi Everybody, it's doctor nick here, I think you have a severe case of needing to go to a qualified medical practitioner, internet advice is not sufficient in a case like this.
    Agreed.

Just one more point. Self diagnosis isn't very objective, self medication is even worse. Thats why if we feel ill we should go to someone professional. Even doctors aren't allowed write prescriptions for themselves.

Advertisement