Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to Sigur Rós

Options
  • 16-03-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I've been hearing loads of good things about these lads recently and what with their upcoming Oxegen appearance I though I'd give them a go. Can anyone recommend what album I should start off with to get a feel for the band? I heard their 2002 album "()" was pretty good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

start off with 'agaetis byrjun' - their best album

parasite wrote:
    start off with 'agaetis byrjun' - their best album

Second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 blah0000

I've only heard Agaetis Byrjun and I love it. Great to chill out to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yep, go for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They're all great tbh. I like ( ) myself, probably because I'm most familiar with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

takk is pretty good too but ( ) is amazing especially ''untitled 1''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Both Agaetis Byrjun and ( ). Those two are essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i'd go for ( ) everytime - i think it has a good mix on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 La Cucaracha

i think that takk is the easiest to listen to if you've never heard them, but agaetis byrjun is their best album. I love Sigur rós but wil they make a good festival band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jaggy Snake

Have to concur with La Cucaracha, I'd recommend getting into them with Agaetis Byrjun and Takk before you tackle ( ), IMO it's just as good but a lot more bleak and less accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 La Cucaracha

just listened to () there for first time in ages! still love it, apparently SIgur rós ahve an ep coming out next month called the "soglopur ep" well thats the working title anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

yeah go for the other two before you go near (). I still find a little unaccessible. great band though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Sigúr Rós are unreal. Takk is the easiest to listen to by far. ( ) though, if a little madder. Agaestis Byrjún's also class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

they have a load of free downloads on their site ... a mix of old/new etc .... thats how i got into them .... they are awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

I'd go with Takk..I'm loving the sound, when Glossoli and Saeglopur kick off, its pretty awesome, i'm guessing also that it will feature strongly in their setlist as it is their current album. But yeah, for goosebumps - never heard anything like that in my life, it'll be agaetis byrjun then. From ( ) tracks 3 and 4 were on the Vanilla Sky movie, if not also soundtrack and are the 'nicest' IMO.
    nachos wrote:
    I've been hearing loads of good things about these lads recently and what with their upcoming Oxegen appearance I though I'd give them a go. Can anyone recommend what album I should start off with to get a feel for the band? I heard their 2002 album "()" was pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

AB is the best album. I don't know why people think that () isn't as accessible... All four of their albums require a little patience from the listener.
    Cassiel wrote:
    From ( ) tracks 3 and 4 were on the Vanilla Sky movie, if not also soundtrack and are the 'nicest' IMO.
    They were live versions, not from the album. The film came out before the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

id recommend ab first, then ( ) then takk - then if you're up for it go for von (their first album).
    just listened to () there for first time in ages! still love it, apparently SIgur rós ahve an ep coming out next month called the "soglopur ep" well thats the working title anyhow.

yeah, the sæglópur ep is out on may 8th. a few new songs on it, plus 3 videos from the takk album (glosoli, hoppipolla and saeglopur).
    peepingtom wrote:
    they have a load of free downloads on their site ... a mix of old/new etc .... thats how i got into them .... they are awesome!

the addy is www.sigur-ros.co.uk , lots of songs and thingys on there

the sigur-ros.com/.is site is pretty sparse - although the managers tour diary is a great great read. http://sigur-ros.is/diary.html

we (i co run the .co.uk site) have also a bit torrent tracker for people who want to download live concerts, thats on my own site : http://www.drrnwbb.com/bt/

we also have a dc++ hub and ftp site: www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/dldshare.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Takk documentary on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7nORib_iMY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I enjoy all there music i don't really have a preference to either album...its the most relaxing music i know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Thanks for all the replies, got AB as ordered. What can I say? How about it's a fantastic album that's quickly becoming one of my favourites. Yes, that will do... Gonna have to get some more of their stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Just back from seeing Sigur Ros live. Fantastic gig!! Hadn't seen them in a few years so it was overdue.

And to add my 2 cents to the topic, my preference is 1) Agaetis Byrjun, 2) Takk, 3) () and 4) Von.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

() is the most inaccessible but by far their most beautiful. Untitled 4 is heartbreaking.
    By the way if you like sigur ros check out my sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 chomsky

() is perfectly accessible.

Listen to any Sigur Ros and you will be glad you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

my popular culture lecturer played us Takk... one day at the start of class, was hooked after that. such beautiful music and yet nobody only the musicans know what it means coz its in hopelandic. its brilliant and very personal to them. I love it. dreamy, athmospheric, lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

popular culture lecturer

Where can I sign up for that job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Can anyone confirm or deny that "hopelandic" is the same language spoken by Pingu?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I have to say that after listening to Agaetis Byrjun that I'm hooked and have an overwhelming urge to snap up all the other albums!
    Such atmospheric music, it's incredible! I can't wait to see them live...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

my popular culture lecturer played us Takk... one day at the start of class, was hooked after that. such beautiful music and yet nobody only the musicans know what it means coz its in hopelandic. its brilliant and very personal to them. I love it. dreamy, athmospheric, lovely.

I might be wrong here, but I think takk... is mostly Icelandic (with a bit of Hopelandic).

( ) is all Hopelandic. (you sy low, the fi, you so lo....)

Advertisement