Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling a bit lost lately

Options
  • 16-03-2006 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Going to try and explain myself here as best I can. Over the last month, maybe longer I have been really down. Finishing up college this year and I just don't care anymore, I don't know or feel in anyway interested on what to do with my life once it ends.

I'm also having recurring dreams at the moment, I've gone through the last couple years (which have been tramic, to say the least) having dreamless sleep and a real problem with insomnia, now that I am sleeping again I find myself dreaming again. The recurring theme is mainly family issues, and an ex who I try to avoid but can't stop thinking about.

I can't help but think this "drifting feeling" is to do with unresolved issues with the above problems. I am the sort of person that can't just let something go, no matter how much I try, it always pops up its head a couple weeks or months later and I crumple.

I'm posting this because today was one of the worse days I have these kind of days all too regularly at the moment. I don't want to get out bed and deal with whats going in my life at the moment and trust me these are things I have to deal with. I am trying to tuck the things that get me down away for now because I need to focus. Its not happening I want to leave here. Thats all I can think about.

I guess what I would like some advice on, is how to deal with all the crap above so I can focus just for the next 2 months. After that I move on to something new in my life and I'm optimistic that life will sort itself out after that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Hey,

I assume from the fact you're in college that you're young enough. We all go through times when we have no direction. Traumatic experiences can take quite a while to pass. 3 years ago i went through hell with my then gf, a bad experience she had. I stuck with her for 2 years after, but was miserable. I too had sleepless nights and doubted my direction in life. Best advice I can give you is to think of short term objectives and achieve those. The long term stuff wil fall into place.
    Its good that you're optimistic, this is a good start. Just remember everyday that you are special to someone out there, family or otherwise, and that things have a way of working out. Relax and trust in this and you'll do ok. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Have you got anything tying you to Ireland at the moment? Would you think about going travelling or living abroad for a while? I'm sure all the new stimuli would make you feel livelier, and you'd have lots to do. You could make a fresh start, feel better about everything, and then come back to Ireland if/when you feel ready.

Just an idea, dunno if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Would you consider going to see your GP? Some of the things you describe, disturbed sleep patterns and not wanting to get out of bed, might be indicators of depression. You could wait it out and see if it gets better but I'd be inclined to make an appointment with your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Hi

You sound as if you could be suffering from a touch of depression. You should go and have a chat with your GP. No harm done if all is OK.

You should also think about the traveling option. possibly get away from all the baggage. The people you will encounter will be young, positive and have a fairly carefree attitude. being in this environment may help. Finding someone to travel with would be a good help.

Don't be afraid to contemplate major changes in your life. If things do not improve in the next months you have nothing to lose by taking some bigger chances.

Finally you are young, about to finish college and have your whole life ahead of you. Hopefully you will look back on this this time in years to come and realise that it was just a fleeting moment on an otherwsie happy long journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks you for your replys. I am for certain going away this summer, 5000 miles from here and it is the most positive thing in my life right now. I can say honestly that I won't miss anything here.

I won't be going to my GP because I don't have one or if I do its been so long I haven't a clue who he/she is. Haven't had anything to go to a doctor about since I was a kid. There is college docters and consuling but I don't have the time for it right now.

I just want these next 2 or so months to pass quickly and without falling in that depression trap that I think I set for myself at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement