Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMT on RTÉ

Options
  • 16-03-2006 1:06am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This would be early 1990s so barely covered by the scope of this forum but...

In the early 1990s, I seem to remember RTÉ 1 or 2 having CMT on during the mornings or early afternoons. But thinking back on it now, it may have been my cable company using the downtime to infil to provide an 'extra channel' - as they still do with timesharing Nick/Eurosport/Bravo and QVC/E4.

Anyone else remember this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

You're right, CMT was on NETWORK 2 from 1200 until 2.30 for a while. RTE 1 carried SKY News for awhile as well from 12.00 till 2.30. RTE News headlines started the day at 11.57 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Summer 1989 was when Sky News was relayed for 2.5 hours on RTÉ 1. RTÉ by that stage didnt have a 1 O'Clock News bulletuin on TV, so they used a relay of Sky News to "test the waters". It also had NBC's Today (which Sky News also relayed)

CMT on Network 2 was a little bit later... before 1994, but no earlier than 1991 iirc. Line Dancing was de rigeur.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed you have to remember that this was a time when RTÉ One didn't open till mid afternoon (Live at 3 would have been the earliest) and Network 2 started at 2:30pm five days a week. It was my first taste of Sky News, which didn't appear on Cablelink until late 1989/early 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I remember CMT alright. Don't remember Sky News ever on RTE. CMT was broadcast terrestrailly.

I remember Goodmorning America used to be on at one stage early in the morning or else a morning show from america on RTE 1 at noon. NBC show, prehaps it was the Today show.

Network 2 opened weekdays at 2:30 with boxco followed by the Den until 6 and then Jo Maxi followed by Home and Away at 6:30 and 7 saw cursai followed by coro st at 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, if you remember NBC's Today on RTÉ 1, then Sky News was on then too.

In the summer of 1989, this was the schedule....

11:57am - RTÉ News bulletin
    12 noon - Sky News (Bob Friend and Vivian Creegor)
    12:30pm - NBC Today (Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley)
    1:00pm - Sky News (Bob Friend and Vivian Creegor)
    1:30pm - NBC Today (Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley)
    12 noon - Sky News (Bob Friend and Vivian Creegor)

• Advertisement

I also remember the then TnaG relaying QVC at nightfall. QVC would actually welcome the TnaG viewers and the UK number at the bottom of the screen would occasionally change to the Irish number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yeah i remember the welcome they gave to their TnaG viewers
    i have vague memories of CMT but not Sky News and NBC Today

was CMT the only music channel ever relayed on RTÉ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I also remember the TnaG greetings

I think it was not only the only music channel relayed on RTÉ but the only legal terrestrial music TV station in Ireland for those few hours a day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

When did they start showing EuroNews in the mornings? I remember it was still on RTÉ One up until one or two years ago (maybe it still is on some days?), and up until recently it was on TG4 until like midday, and even later - I've probably seen more EuroNews than actual TG4!

I definately remember being stuck in Carrigaholt (Co. Clare) back in the "Bog 1, Bog 2" days with miserable weather as per usual - must have been some time between 1995-7 - and having to put up with EuroNews for a while until a repeat of Beyond 2000 or whatever started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

I remember the first, or one of the first, Sky News relays on RTE1. They were doing a segment on the Chelsea Flower Show and presenter Kay Burley mentioned the 'new viewers from Ireland'.
    I also remember the presenters on QVC mentioning the relay on TnaG; one of them pronounced it 'Tinnajee'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Karsini wrote:
    I also remember the then TnaG relaying QVC at nightfall. QVC would actually welcome the TnaG viewers and the UK number at the bottom of the screen would occasionally change to the Irish number.

Expect for viewers on Cablelink as it was then.

They used to pull the feed of TNG just before QVC but really messed it up one night so I realised what they were doing.

Prior to that I had thought the mention of QVC in the schedule was a printing mistake in the papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Yes, I think Cablelink had some lame excuse like they didn't want to be responsible for home-shopping goods purchased through being viewed on their cable system, yet Super Channel and the like had been doing it for years previously.
    Another Cablelink special was setting the TnaG feed to disappear at exactly 11.34pm, one minute before the QVC relay started. Of course, they didn't take account of programmes over-running by several minutes and so we lost the end of many a movie. Muppets.

bazzer wrote:
    Yes, I think Cablelink had some lame excuse like they didn't want to be responsible for home-shopping goods purchased through being viewed on their cable system, yet Super Channel and the like had been doing it for years previously.
    Another Cablelink special was setting the TnaG feed to disappear at exactly 11.34pm, one minute before the QVC relay started. Of course, they didn't take account of programmes over-running by several minutes and so we lost the end of many a movie. Muppets.
    Eurosport and Lifestyle did it too, both were shopping services from Quantum.

I didn't know Cablelink blocked QVC, I left Dublin in July 1996 so was just gone when TnaG launched. When I moved here I noticed the then Irish Multichannel (now Chorus) used to have QVC on the MMDS system overnight. So they obviously didn't have that attitude.

Advertisement