Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxy Music, Level 42 - they´re all back!

Options
  • 16-03-2006 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

A lot of "has beens" and genuine acts from the past are re-emerging. I mostly go to their re-union gigs because they are great but in most cases their new music doesn´t do a thing for me.

Went to see Human League yesterday and they were fantastic but the new album, well, I wouldn´t buy it. Same last year with Tears for fears. Duran Duran is an exception as I bought "Astronaut" and really like it.

What ye think of all those re-unions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I went to Motley Crue's reunion tour last year, and it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

good music never goes out of fashion , if you ask me the eighties was the best decade ever for music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

meldrew wrote:
    good music never goes out of fashion , if you ask me the eighties was the best decade ever for music
    Right you are on the good music thing.

Roxy Music were outstanding when they played the Point Depot in 2001. They're recording a brand new album for next year too.
    Here's the ticketmaster links for their upcoming gigs in Cork + Dublin:

Vicar Street, DUBLIN (Wed 5 July 2006)
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003C61CC54BDDA?artistid=770841&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Showgrounds, CORK (Thu 6 July 2006)
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003C61872733C0?artistid=770841&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

meldrew wrote:

Well said! The nineties were really bad in general (there are always exceptions) and nowadays you get away with murder when you´re beautiful and stupid enough to allow an industry to bend you and play you like a fiddle.

I went to see most of my favourite 80s bands over the years and what I really like about them is that they actually DO play their instruments!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roxy are of course 70s really, though the point remains a true one.

Its hard to imagine any market for a Westlife reunion in 2040! Then again...

Mike.

• Advertisement

Alright there were some manufactured bands in the eighties but by and large bands made it by hard work and good songs , not like today where everything is packaged and marketed to the highest level .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'm not sure if the Human League ever split.

Secret (2001) was quite good.
    But their finest work remains Reproduction, Travelogue, Dare and Love & Dancing.

OMD is about to reunite!!! I am talking to Paul Humphreys tomorrow and post the news in a new thread!

OMD is about to reunite!!! I am talking to Paul Humphreys tomorrow and post the news in a new thread!

Good news!

Their first four albums are excellent - Dazzle Ships being the best. I am on my fourth copy have worn out three LPs.

How can OMD re-unite , I thought Andy McCluskey was dead ?

• Advertisement

meldrew wrote:
    How can OMD re-unite , I thought Andy McCluskey was dead ?

No, although he looks it :D I talked to Paul Humphreys and Claudia Brücken who have a band going under the name "onetwo" (www.theremusic.com) and their new album is due this summer. They r also planning a tour. One gig announced on August 28th in Leicester/UK.

Paul thinks of the OMD thing more as a re-visiting than a re-union but you never know. I guess it is tempting to keep going once he realises that OMD may attract more buyers than OneTwo.

Having said that: There 6-track EP "Item" is class.

Sorry about that I got him mixed up with someone else , from a Scottish band big in the eighties , not Stuart Adamson . Anyone any ideas ?
    Just thought of it the singer from The Associates

You are thinking of Billy McKenzie?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    You are thinking of Billy McKenzie?

Mike.

of The Associates.

Sulk is a fine album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Toolach

The worst thing about OMD is they brought of a cd called "singles" that did not contain all the singles.

"The Best OF" OMD is better.

But that said - they were a good band.

The interview with Paul Humphreys was one of the best ever interviews I conducted. Transcript not ready yet. But I spoke to the Sparks on the same day and this one is ready for yous: www.electronicpopmusic.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Giving where we are given the way most of yis are talking I'm guessing yis are old geezers (joking!) in yer 30s and were there for these bands first time around but I have to say I've just started getting into Roxy Music right now (with no nostalgia influence) and I think they're great too!

I'm listening to "Avalon" and "For Your Pleasure" as well as a best-of of theres ATM. All top stuff.

Sparks! :D Yay! One of my earlier music memories thier latest album has got some exellent reviews.

Mike.

Pigman II wrote:
    Giving where we are given the way most of yis are talking I'm guessing yis are old geezers (joking!) in yer 30s and were there for these bands first time around but I have to say I've just started getting into Roxy Music right now (with no nostalgia influence) and I think they're great too!

I'm listening to "Avalon" and "For Your Pleasure" as well as a best-of of theres ATM. All top stuff.

Their debut self-titled LP is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Saw Bryan (brian) Ferry in Kilkenny the year before last.....He hasnt lost it...well IMHO anyway. To hear him singing Avalon.....wow

• Advertisement

Still think that € 60 is a bit expensive, isn´t it? I might be going anyway

Advertisement