Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing a book

Options
  • 14-03-2006 5:45pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the past years I've had the idea of writing a book in the back of my mind. Today I had a few minutes so did a google on "how to write a book" to see what sort of guidance I could find. Not much really.... most of the sites I found were money making rackets detailing "ghost writers" who would write your bio or family history, etc.

Has anyone here written and published anything?
    Can someone describe what to do once you have your book in word.doc format?
    What are the next steps?
    How long do people write per day?
    How do you structure the book, chapters, plots, etc?

I know a lot of this is down to individual style and preference... however I am interested to hear first hand accounts.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Anyone? Surely there must be people on this literature board who have thought about or actually written something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey Boss,

I've written a few feature scripts and am planning to write a book that's been knocking around in my head.

As with screenwriting there is excellent software available to make the process easier and more organised. The best stuff you'd need to buy, but there are probably some shareware programs, or plug-ins for Word available for free. Writing in Word on its own is traditional, but doesn't take advantage of features that other software can offer. (Such are chapter, character or timeline organisation.)

I've been meaning to find out more info on novel-writing. Like screenwriting, I'll probably start with a basic how-to book just to find out the basic no-nos before beginning. When I get the chance I'll post back here with any good links etc I come across.

I would imagine the most important part, is actually outlining your book in advance.

CHEERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I tried writing a sci-fi/fantasy book a few years back.. i thought i was going great.. got to chapter 7 or so then decided to take a break and read what i had written.. I swear i thought i was on drugs or some serious alcohol when writing as i read it back to myself!!! This was strange as i did not even drink back then :D:D:D Utter rubbish, though probably could have fixed it and gone on.

Anyway its a lot harder than you might think. I found when writing i did not even realise how time flew... I would think its great material but reading it back to yourself is an eye opener!!

One of the hardest things i found when starting was picking character names :D

Maybe some day i will try writing again, when im older and wiser. For now i will simply read a lot.

Some community colleges have writers courses in their adult education classes. Might be a place to start.

Sarumon I can relate to your experiences!
    Amazing the difference you notice from your early writing and how much slicker it gets as you progress and you learn.

I always use this site to find character names. Names are very important as a lot of subliminal stuff can be portrayed by a name. Mind you if you're writing sci-fi - names are always going to be tough. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hey Saruman and the Atheist, thanks for sharing your experiences. That random name site is rather interesting. Funny though I found the common names sounded pretty obscure too!

Be sure to update on how you get on.

I have no idea what type of book I would write, but feel there is one in there somewhere. I suppose the ideal would be write something which would turn out to be a timeless classic such as Catch-22, 1984 or the likes. The main problem I see is vocabulary. Often when I am reading I forget that most of the words I am reading are definetly not ones which I would use in everyday conversation.... so an obstacle I see is trying to break out of my vocab cycle whilst writing. However, I have yet to set pen to paper / finger to keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Perhaps you guys might take a look at the creative writing thread above, as there is an evening workshop at UCD in April that sounds interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I always use this site to find character names.

lol @ site. Some of those names generate a book idea all on their own:- i asked for a female name with a randomness factor of 60 and was served with 'Sukimo Olives' just think of the backstory one could come up with!

impr0v wrote:
    i asked for a female name with a randomness factor of 60 and was served with 'Sukimo Olives' just think of the backstory one could come up with!
    Sukimo closed her eyes counted to ten. Moments like these were always a battle between her Oriental upbringing and her Latin blood.

That's the cool thing about names. You can suggest anything through them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Catullus

Sarumon I can relate to your experiences!
    Amazing the difference you notice from your early writing and how much slicker it gets as you progress and you learn.

I always use this site to find character names. Names are very important as a lot of subliminal stuff can be portrayed by a name. Mind you if you're writing sci-fi - names are always going to be tough. :D

That site is the stuff of legend. I searched a normal enough woman's name and got Wonda Ripa, Obdulia Ehrich and Betsey Stumpp to name but three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

go to www.writingforums.com

its a good site, helpful feedback and can help with alot of quieries. to answer some of your questions

also ou might want to try NaNoWriMo next november (www.nanowrimo.org)

Can someone describe what to do once you have your book in word.doc format?

you edit and edit, fix words, get rid of some of the pointless words, change words, add more images ect. then you can start sending out to agents and publishers, be sure to read the guidelines though eg sending Sci-Fi to someone who deals purley with horror

How long do people write per day?

as much as you can time wise and idea wise, if you run out of steam dont force it, relax let the words flow. and if possible when ever an idea comes either jot it down or use a dictafone (like in the car or somthing)

How do you structure the book, chapters, plots, etc?

not to sure what your asking but
    you write a rough outline of what is going to happen, beginning, middle and end. then you thick it out, add things, problems for the MC to face ect. or if you cant do that just start and see where it takes you. chapters are really a personal thing, some books have 300 pages and only a few chapters others have 100 and have loads. it depends on what you want to happen in each chapter. you can always add them in later.

hope i helped somewhat :)

• Advertisement

This book has been on the metaphorical tip of my tongue for a while. Just watch out... one of these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I have managed to get a novel published.....eventually! It took me years to write (as I did it in my spare time, and who gets a lot of that? lol) but it took 2 years to get it published!! I did all the usual things, sent off letters, letter & summaries, letters & first chapter, etc to publishers and agents that I found in the Writers & Publishers yearbook (2 years in a row)..... and no joy! All the publishers said 'thanks but no thanks, we only accept work from agents' .... and the agents said they were only taking work from existing clients / authors. Maybe my work was crap and this is the industry code for 'wouldnt touch it with a barge pole!' I dont know.....

... but there is a happy ending.... for me anyway. I found this place: Double Dragon Publishing. They publish e-books. I sent them the details (at this stage I had a 1 page letter developed, where I had a paragraph of a story written in my style / prose and then a paragraph of my 'pitch') and they took me on! It is 2 years down the line now, and I get royalty cheques every 6 months based on 30% of sales (it sounds like a lot, but only about 6 copies are sold each 6 months, and an e-book sells for like $4!) ..... but it is all mine and I get to say things like 'my publisher' and 'royalties' etc.

Anyway..... check out the site
    http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/guidelines.asp

Double Dragon are a great site, and well recognised in the industry. Anyone hear of Piers Anthony? He has close links (no pun intended) with DDP and I think he sits on some committe or review board of theirs. No money is required from prospecitve authors (ever!) and DDP supply an editor and create cover-art for your work.

..... and dont forget to check out my novel!
    http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/single.asp?isbn=1-89484-171-9

An e-book is a genuine published book, complete with international ISBN code. However, it is not sold as a physical printed book, but sold over the internet as a downloadable file/doc. If sales are good, Double Dragon may print your book. I have not been that sucessfull.........yet!

............and lastly...... stick with it! Everyone has a book in them, you never know, you might be the next J K Rowling!

Advertisement