Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Advice

Options
  • 13-03-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a new laptop..... Large Storage... nice spec overall doesnt have to be gaming capable but i have a limit of about 1k....I currently have a centrino 1.5 60gb 512ram

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What will it be used for? If you won't be gaming, a 1.5 centrino with 512ram would be grand for any other use really....if you are using heavy applications, why not upgrade the ram to 1 or even 1.5gb and if storage is an issue an external HD or an upgrade would be alot cheaper then a new lappy. I don't see why you'd need to replace your current model if it won't be for playing games really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Well i would play games on it if i i could... like i found one with 100gb hard drive.. 2ghz centrino, with x700 64mb and 1gb ram.... for 1019euro...
    I am gettin about 500 for my current one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well i would play games on it if i i could... like i found one with 100gb hard drive.. 2ghz centrino, with x700 64mb and 1gb ram.... for 1019euro...
    I am gettin about 500 for my current one
    where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

tenner bets its the acer 5504! Got it last week and its class. It can play any of the older games on full settings. Not too shabby on the newer ones either. I have bf2 running at 1024 x 768 and medium/high settings,looks nice and runs ~50fps.it performs better than my desktop. (Athlon 3200 and 9600 pro)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Link please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TimAy wrote:
    I have bf2 running at 1024 x 768 and medium/high settings,looks nice and runs ~50fps.it performs better than my desktop. (Athlon 3200 and 9600 pro)!

Sure they're the same models? A 64mb x700 mobility runs BF2 better then your 128mb 9600pro....? Doesn't make alot of sense to me....:confused:

Or is that x700 one of those hypermemory models that uses system ram as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TimAy wrote:
    tenner bets its the acer 5504! Got it last week and its class. It can play any of the older games on full settings. Not too shabby on the newer ones either. I have bf2 running at 1024 x 768 and medium/high settings,looks nice and runs ~50fps.it performs better than my desktop. (Athlon 3200 and 9600 pro)!
    where did you get it and how much did you pay in total?
    (If you dont mind me asking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Here

I was lucky enough to have been able to get the vat off so it came to 907 euros.Fast shipping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

TimAy wrote:
    Here

I was lucky enough to have been able to get the vat off so it came to 907 euros.Fast shipping too.

I'm interested in this two - can you answer a few questions.

In terms of performance how does the 2ghz centrino compare ?
    What's the deal with the double memory?
    Can the graphics support two separate screen resolutions i.e. main screen at 1024x768 and tv-out at 800x600 for example?

Advertisement