Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought a laptop from eBay?

Options
  • 12-03-2006 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I won a bid for a sony vaio laptop for 200 euro on ebay but the guy is in china and doen't accept paypal, is this really dodgey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

In short: YES.
    What payment options does he provide?
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chancey

Hey says either Western Alliance or Moneygrab

This was his reply when I asked about Paypal:

Dear friend:
    Thanks for your payment
    Sorry I do not accept the PAYPAL
    Because the PAYPAL overlays the area in China is not very vast
    So I did not carry out
    I accept the western alliance, the bank move
    The item has already wrapped up to wait for to send out with meticulous care
    Receive you pay perfect item that I will send out to belong to you immediately
    What I use is an aviation of EMS especially quick
    After item send out arrive on 3-6 days about
    Hope our bargain happiness
    Your friend

Chancey wrote:
    The aim was to check out the seller's history & details (These still don't make for great character profiling,but would help.)

So, without further details all you get is: It could be geuine, it could be a scam. You have no comeback with money transfers. If it sounds too good to be through. It most likely is.

• Advertisement

Poor translation aside, the wording of his reply would concern me

"The item has already wrapped up to wait for to send out with meticulous care"

Why is this necessary information? Why was it volunteered so willingly?
    (Could just be my paranoia)

And, a problem with PayPal in China... eh... *shrug*
    https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/general/CNPayPalComparison-outside

My opinion remains the same: dodgy.

The guy had 100% record from ten people but I am wary of the fact he might have done that himself. Cheers for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

http://cgi.ebay.ie/HP-COMPAQ-PENTIUM-M-4-LAPTOP-COMBO-DVD-CD-RW-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ8779340840QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i always wondered why their history is hidden, the have something to hide obviously.

also notice how the listing is a HP laptop and it clearly shows a Sony spec, very dodgy to me

Yeah there seems to be too many ifs to it to risk paying him. There is way too many of them for sale for it to be true

Chancey wrote:
    The guy had 100% record from ten people but I am wary of the fact he might have done that himself. Cheers for your help
    Easily faked. If that is his history ..and it's hidden - forget it,TBH.
    Especially given that he has so many other laptops available for sale & each 1-day listings only...

Forget it.

• Advertisement

I'll forget it indeed. Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

all of the decent laptops like iMacs, iBooks many small ultra portable laptops ive seen are always on bids for about €200-€300 and are all held by sellers in china with no paypal.

It is too good to be true, and the fact that their history is hidden adds to it.

Any purchases i have made on ebay were via powersellers etc offering paypal either in the UK or US.
    And i have spent atleast a half hour researching them, with these chinese sellers you come up against a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

If you check all the "too good to be true" laptop and desktop deals on eBay almost all of them have exactly 10 hidden feedbacks. Don't know about you but that sets my alarm bell ringing. Some also seem to use non-chinese locations which appear to be non-existant towns in Ireland/UK/Us etc.

Bottom line: On the Net, as in real life, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As soon as I read the opening post I thought - I bet that the feedback score is 10 and each of the feedback users have a zero score themselves. you'd think that these scammers would at least make a bit of an effort.

Op should play along and keep telling that he ahs sent the payment by paypal and when can he expect his laptop.

Advertisement