Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Taxis Travel Across the Border.?

Options
  • 12-03-2006 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

If you want to get a taxi from Ballybofey to Strabane, do the taxis travel only as far as Lifford, or can they travel into Strabane?

Or, alternatively, if you get a taxi with a taxi company in Strabane are they permitted to take you to Ballybofey, or can they not travel over the border? Would you have to get a taxi with a taxi company in Lifford to go to Ballybofey?

I was just wondering if there are any regulatory reasons preventing taxis travelling across the border...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

_Paul_ wrote:
    If you want to get a taxi from Ballybofey to Strabane, do the taxis travel only as far as Lifford, or can they travel into Strabane?

Or, alternatively, if you get a taxi with a taxi company in Strabane are they permitted to take you to Ballybofey, or can they not travel over the border? Would you have to get a taxi with a taxi company in Lifford to go to Ballybofey?

I was just wondering if there are any regulatory reasons preventing taxis travelling across the border...:confused:

Yes they may cross the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Slightly off topic here so apologies to everyone.

Paul, am I right in thinking you are new to the Donegal area? I ask this because firstly, you were asking about cheap shopping in Strabane/Derry and secondly, you seem unsure about taxi regulations with regards to crossing the border.

They can and do cross the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote:
    Paul, am I right in thinking you are new to the Donegal area? I ask this because firstly, you were asking about cheap shopping in Strabane/Derry and secondly, you seem unsure about taxi regulations with regards to crossing the border.
    You forgot to mention enquiring about the best sterling/euro exchange rate and opening a businness account in the credit union. :D:D

I think if you add all that up it would be safe to say that our Paul is new here.

We're just a bit nosey in this neck of the woods

Welcome aboard my friend. Keep posting and whatever you do dont mention Mulrines in Ballybofey or you will feel the P O W E R descend upon you;) ;)

_Paul_ wrote:
    If you want to get a taxi from Ballybofey to Strabane, do the taxis travel only as far as Lifford, or can they travel into Strabane?:
    AFAIK they can cross the border.

I am open to correction here but I think if you are getting a taxi from Ballybofey to Strabane for example you cant phone a Strabane cabbie. You must get a taxi in Donegal and possibly even a local one in Ballybofey.

If there are any taxi drivers out there perhaps they could clarify this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 _Paul_

Thanks all...!! :p

Yeah, I've lived in Scotland for manys a year but have a couple of relatives living in Letterkenny, and a friend who lives outside Ballybofey.

I'm gonna be living in Letterkenny for the foreseeable future, and before anyone asks, no I'm not saying who they are...!! :):p

_Paul_ wrote:
    and before anyone asks, no I'm not saying who they are...!! :):p
    Quite right too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Lets get this straight, provided you can afford the fair/charge you can in the real world get a taxi from Ballybofey to Israel, or back ?... For instance if you land at Belfast Airport and ask a registered taxi to take you to Jacksons in Ballybofey, they will have you there within about 2 hours ?..

Thanks mainly to EU legislation.

Not that I personally ever recognised it 'The Border' !. :D

Money talks, such is the way of the world, and this is the EU in 2006, Thank Heavens.

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Iascaire

Paddy20 wrote:
    Lets get this straight, provided you can afford the fair/charge you can in the real world get a taxi from Ballybofey to Israel, or back ?... For instance if you land at Belfast Airport and ask a registered taxi to take you to Jacksons in Ballybofey, they will have you there within about 2 hours ?..

Thanks mainly to EU legislation.

Not that I personally ever recognised it 'The Border' !. :D

Money talks, such is the way of the world, and this is the EU in 2006, Thank Heavens.

Wait are you saying that a Taxi can go from one part of Ireland to another, Madness

Iascaire wrote:
    Wait are you saying that a Taxi can go from one part of Ireland to another, Madness

I know ,totally crazy that we should enjoy such freedom of movement, without being stopped by armed forces and phyically frisked, in our own damned country :D /B].

Thank God for the E.U. and the open borders legislation ;) .

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    For instance if you land at Belfast Airport and ask a registered taxi to take you to Jacksons in Ballybofey, they will have you there within about 2 hours
    Ah but here is the big question. Using your example of Belfast, can you phone a Ballybofey taxi and ask them to pick you up. I dont think you can.

I believe you must order a taxi in the same jurisdiction and then the taxi can go anywhere after that.

muffler wrote:
    Ah but here is the big question. Using your example of Belfast, can you phone a Ballybofey taxi and ask them to pick you up. I dont think you can.

I believe you must order a taxi in the same jurisdiction and then the taxi can go anywhere after that.

Sorry, but I totally disagree, for instance if I rang a Ballybofey taxi from London asking them to pick me up at Belast airport to take me to Ballybofey after the plane had landed, that is my choice.

Although, it is unlikely I would choose to do this simply due to the cost factor ?... although I know a number of Ballybofey families who use this method of getting their relations 'safely' home in preferance to using a Northern Ireland registered taxi ;) .

It is more commonly known as 'Looking after your own !

Advertisement