Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

configuring Smart076 softphone

Options
  • 12-03-2006 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for the product key info for the Smart softphone, I have clicked on the link provided but I can't find it... I know I should contact Smart but it's Sunday and i'm a bit impatient! Dying to try it out.. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't think I needed a key for anything. You can download any ol' version of X-Lite in any event, theirs does nothing special: http://www.xten.net/index.php?menu=download.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They seem to have problems on the site that the product key doesn't come up. There is a thread here (http://support.076.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=45) where other people have experienced issues

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Ya, have tried to configure Xlite but am having no luck.. thought it might be something to do with not using their own version.. i do want the free euro credit! Will try the above link, thanks.

DOWN WITH EIRCON!!!

It seems that they send out the product keys by email upon request.. no mention of that on website. As my old teacher used to say.. "Could do better"

And I repeat, there is nothing special with their version of X-Lite so you can use any version including the one I pointed you to. I think they have a bit of Smart branding in their version, that's it.

Also, the free euro credit doesn't work. They've removed that because it was abused. You need to pay minimum €2. This may explain why it doesn't work. What error do you get?

• Advertisement

Thanks Blaster, pity about the free euro, was looking forward to testing it as i'm on a wan with a connection to IBB (i know, i know), I'm just having trouble figuring out what details go where, sip proxy and so on. i entered the details that Smart sent as best i could, obviously wrongly, as the softphone says "awaiting proxy info". If you could point me in the direction of a walk through for idiots i would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Follow Blueface's instructions http://www.blueface.ie/support/softphone.aspx and on Screen 05 replace the username and password with your 076 number and the password you got from Smart, set the SIP Proxy to smart076.ie, and set Display Name and Domain/Realm to Smart076.ie.

With IBB, do not expect miracles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It seems that they send out the product keys by email upon request.. no mention of that on website. As my old teacher used to say.. "Could do better"

If you look on the Smart 076 site under 'My account/settings'

you will see the following!!

Phone Settings

Click the below button to e-mail your phone settings.

Could do better? :rolleyes:

Thanks Dub but the wry "could do better" was with reference to the lack of a product key for the Smart softphone, not the settings which i already had. Thanks again Blaster, will try the Blueface setup instructions.

Have tried to enter settings as per the excellent Blueface instructions... no joy but i must be a bit further along as the display now says "login failed. contact network admin." suppose I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks all, Boards to the rescue again!

• Advertisement

Thanks Dub but the wry "could do better" was with reference to the lack of a product key for the Smart softphone, not the settings which i already had. Thanks again Blaster, will try the Blueface setup instructions.

And with that settings email comes the product key!

no it don't Dub! Anyway, success with X-lite! was entering the wrong password, (lowercase f instead of upper). It will be interesting to compare the quality between SIP and Skype given the variable latencies on IBB.

Smart 076 - Phone Settings:
    SIP Username 076xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    SIP Password (Phone Password) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    SIP Server Name smart076.ie
    SIP Proxy Server Name smart076.ie
    Phone Number 076xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    X-ten Softphone License Key sZWNvbbkDAAAAADzphgAAAAAA/////xAAAADyVht5iH2..............................
    Download X-ten Softphone here

Well it did for me! It appears in Outllook anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

As far as I know, its a Smart branded version of X-Pro and locked to their network. The only thing you should have to do is click the login button in the top right corner and fill in the details.

If that doesn't work check the diagnostic log or try a tracert to smart076.ie

I'm pretty sure I installed Smart's version and it's not the pro version (but I could be wrong). In any event, they don't support G.729 so the pro version is of no use. In fact, their whole VoIP service is a bit mickey mousey, beta or not.

Thanks Tim, X-Lite works as well, it doesn't need to be their own version although there may be extra features in the Smart branded pro version as pointed out by Blaster. In any case the call quality through IBB is bad and that's through their 1Mb connection, Skype quality is better but not much, was getting delays of up to 4000Ms yesterday! It seems the switching speed through wireless may not be up to the job, anyone have any experience of Smart076 through Digiweb metro? Is it any better?

Oops! just read your latest Blaster after i posted. Really i'm just looking for a line rental free combination of BB and Voip that works... anybody have any info on Chorus's cable BB offering in Limerick and when it's likely to roll out?

If you have latency over maybe 300ms I'd say nothing will work. I would be surprised if any wireless ISP can provide a connection that's stable enough for a high quality VoIP connection. I haven't tried Metro, but I've tried a few others and they all sucked in one way or another.

One thing you should try is to use the iLBC codec supported by X-Lite. I don't know how well supported that codec is by service providers, though. Blueface supports it but you'll need to stick a few quick in a pre-pay account to try it. If voipbuster.com supports it, you can try it for free to Irish landlines up to one minute. In order to ensure that the iLBC codec is used, you need to click on all the other codec names so that they're greyed out. This would be G.711 GSM SPX etc in the display. iLBC is a narrowband codec so it uses a lot less bandwidth than G.711 and is also supposedly good at dealing with packet loss. The problem in your case is most likely jitter, though: high latency leading to packet loss.

Thanks, will try iLBC out, is it possible to alter the jitter timing? would extending the jitter timings work? i could live with a delay so long as all packets stay together as incoming voice is fine but i'm breaking up.

Try bumping it up to see what happens. If it's set too high you can introduce a lot of latency.

Aaron of Blueface posted up a link to a pretty useful test app: http://www.blueface.ie/downloads/BlueFaceNetQualityMonitor-0.3.0.msi

If you run that, you'll get a good idea what the packet loss and jitter is like on your line. You can probably tune the size of the jitter buffer a bit more accurately. You need to about 20ms from those jitter values to get the actual value. I'd say you will see massive spikes in your case so 20ms is probably neither here nor there.

Other than iLBC, if you can get your hands on X-Pro you can try out G.729. It has the lowest bandwidth requirement and might help you in a situation where the connection is poor. It's all trial and horror and I've been through most of it myself. Frustrating at the best of times.

But to be honest, in my experience, if you can't get Skype-to-Skype to work well on your connection, then VoIP doesn't stand a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Blaster99 wrote:

Other than iLBC, if you can get your hands on X-Pro you can try out G.729.

Check the post on X-ten Pro they have a link for what looks like a free version.

Regards

I now have an 'eyebeam' softphone running which allows me to adjust everything, fantastic looking softphone, loads of features including video. The sound quality is much better than X-lite and best of all i can now twiddle with my jitter!:) It appears the trouble with Ibb is the variability of the latency, ping times are up and down constantly.

There are also a lot of codecs on the eyebeam including G729 and iLBC so i am now set up to test them all.
    Thanks again Blaster, most helpful, i am currently considering buying a phone/pda called the 'ETEN M600' perhaps you should have a look at it,

it can carry gsm, sip and skype all at once and also push emails blackberry style and as Smart076 will email you a .wav file with your missed messages it might be the answer to the rapacious Eircon et al!

If you remember the original Motorola mobile concept was to rely on lots of mini repeaters, maybe we should start a community awareness project which would allow everyone to use each others wifi for voice calls? The bandwidth requirment wouldn't be very high so long as enough people were involved. It should be possible to 'shape' the available bandwith allowed to others for calls/email and obviously to deter free downloaders! If enough people took it on there would always be enough bandwidth as users could simply move to another wifi 'cell' if bandwidth was tight.

I noticed that Skype used to publish info on which ports and settings to use to achieve the same, but it seemed to dissapear after they developed a commercial arrangement with 'Boingo' for roaming hopspots.

As i'm new to boards i've only just realised that this should only be a thread for configuring smart076, sorry Mods!
    Maybe someone should start another thread on this idea?

Advertisement