Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tescos policy on I.D. for the purchace of alcohol.

• 12-03-2006 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I was told last night that the only forms of I.D. accepted were Garda I.D's when I was buying alcohol and I was refused when I handed them a valid full category B drivers licence. They said it was Tescos policy. The intoxicating liquor act 1988 states clearly that a drivers licence is a valid age document. Was I discriminated against? I didn't think much of it last night because I wasn't arsed with confrontation, but it's really starting to piss me off now.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think store policy is a valid reason to deny you alcohol. Remember the rule of "invitation to treat" etc which means that your offering to buy the drink for some consideration, and the shop assistant (acting as an agent) is fully entitled not to accept your offer.

In addition, the Equal Status Act 2003 has provisions in relation to the sale of alcohol, and says that the licencees and their agents are entitled to refuse to serve alcohol without giving a reason.

Basically, there is a public policy issue with selling alcohol, and courts are very unlikely to sanction a policy which is more strict than the minimum legal standard.

I've been where you are and it's fairly annoying. The only answer is to make sure you have a garda age-card or a passport. Funnily enough Tesco once tried to refuse to serve me two cans of Heineken because I had a passport but no garda age-card. I went on a rant about being able to travel to any country in the world, and buy alcohol there with the same passport, and pointed out how idiotic it was to say that a current passport was invalid. They said they'd sell me the drink but I was so annoyed, I told them to fcuk themselves with the fcuking cans, and walked out.

By the way, I edited your post for fear that it was looking very like it was seeking advice! I'm sure it was unintentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Pity the gardaID is easily faked aswell.

Passport only tbh but way to valuable to carry around just to get some alcohol. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"Here's my license to drive. Give me alcohol."
    I can see no reason why they'd discriminate.

They really must bring out a new Garda I.D.

..wanders off ranting about more things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Garda ID is hard to fake well but shops and bars dont know half the security features nevermind looking for them. I know people that have handed in other peoples cards and gotten served. The fakes could be easily spotted if they knew what too look for.

I aint listing all the features either because theres about a dozen but a Garda/security/etc that makes an effort will see whats fake and whats not. That goes for D/L and GNIB cards as well.

As for the store, more and more companies are being selective about what they accept. Ryanair being an example.

personally I think Garda ID is a good idea purely to avoid carrying passports and DL's out on saturday night but I really think a national ID card would be best.

Advertisement