Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: Theories the writers/creators have officially discredited

Options
  • 12-03-2006 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Spoilers Ahoy!

* The survivors are dead and/or in Purgatory.
    Source- http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271%7C94107%7C1%7C,00.html

* The survivors are in a time warp

* Spaceships or aliens influence the events on the island.
    Source for the two above- http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30246

* Everything seen is a fictional reality taking place in one or more of the survivors' minds.
    Source- http://losttv-forum.com/bonus/interview.htm

* The "security system" is a dinosaur :D
    Source- http://www.lost-tv.com/exclusives/damon081804.html

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1072511_3||1045714|0_0_,00.html[/url]
    states:

The pirates are, in fact, ''the others'' on the island, about whom Rousseau (Mira Furlan) warned the castaways. Which means that the kidnapped boy Walt (Malcolm David Kelly) shouldn't be too far away. I know I've read threads out there where people think Walt was taken far away or to another island, or that the people who took Walt were not the others.

The plane did not crash by accident. It crashed for a very specific reason.

The castaways are not "ghosts stuck in a tropical limbo"

Some have observed that the Orientation video and the missing section have differences in Dr. Candle's hair and his tie. And I think some have theorized that this is of some significance.

This was posted by Javi, writer/producer on the Fuselage

http://www.thefuselage.com/Threaded/showthread.php?t=28950

the video was conceived in its entirety but shot at different times, hence the differences in dr. candle's hair/clothes...

...see? sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

The latest podcast clearly states that ::::::::::::::::::::::

A- There was no pole reversal (bye bye Ultimate Theory)

B- It is not 2012 and has nothing to do with the Mayans (bye bye What is the Island?)

wtf is a Mayan? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good post, might shut some people up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

A- There was no pole reversal (bye bye Ultimate Theory)

Praise the Lord we've seen the light. I've been waiting for that sentence for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Spoilers Ahoy!

Source- http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271%7C94107%7C1%7C,00.html

* Everything seen is a fictional reality taking place in one or more of the survivors' minds.

states:

The pirates are, in fact, ''the others'' on the island, about whom Rousseau (Mira Furlan) warned the castaways. Which means that the kidnapped boy Walt (Malcolm David Kelly) shouldn't be too far away. I know I've read threads out there where people think Walt was taken far away or to another island, or that the people who took Walt were not the others.

Some have observed that the Orientation video and the missing section have differences in Dr. Candle's hair and his tie. And I think some have theorized that this is of some significance.

Yeah i am glad they came out with alot of this info, it kinda blows most theroies out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Spoilers Ahoy!

Or not, as the case may be . . .
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Spoilers Ahoy!

states:

great post however and i dunno squabble but........
    the writers have said in a lot of instances things like....'the plane crash was not faked(in that it physically crashed) however it s not all as it seems either' which leaves it open to lot of explanations even ones like dharma conrolled the crash.(essentially a fake crash)
    so while they have said also that there is no truman show thing going on either it would appear almost definite that the losties are being watched and monitored etc, so the refusals aren't wholly dismissive of theories, like ultimate theory still has a huge part figured out with the creation of hansos name and the electromagnetic link etc.

a mayan is ......oh why bother..

glad to hear there was no pole reversal as it wouldn't tie in time wise
    have they dismissed the polar reversal thing altogether or just said that there hasnt been one of yet?

Anima wrote:
    Good post, might shut some people up ;)

yeah like you! seeing as you took upon yourself to dismiss basically all the theories i've read on here (yes including mine i'm aware)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Heres mine.. turns out they are all on a contrived reality TV show without thier knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Hobbes wrote:
    Heres mine.. turns out they are all on a contrived reality TV show without thier knowledge.
    The way things are going with reality TV, I wouldn't be surprised!

All I know, from my years of TV watching, is that it's not going to be tied up neatly. When it is finished, the ending is going to be wholly unsatisfactory. There will be loads of unexplained bits and pieces. I hope this isn't going to be the case, but I'm 99% sure it will.

This has to be the most analysed programme in TV history, what with the technology available for instant re-watching and the like. I think the writers are throwing stuff in for a laugh and it's being seized on as a deliberate clue. How and ever, I will continue watching, as it is the journey that is important, not the destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

The purgatory one just seems so fitting especially after ep 207! but it can't be true if some people are dieing and others are being taken away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well that clears my mind of the fears they'd go for a really crap ending, although hopefully it's not something like "They're not dead - they're half dead zombies instead!"

When it's said it's not a time warp, does that mean it can't be set in the future? How specific are they being?

I'm just going to imagine they're all engineered clones or something. Their memories are implanted to mix together different archetypes. The Others are the Dharma scientists posing to test out how these disparate groups work together in tough conditions. The magnetic field thingy is designed to cast a certain mental influence on them, allowing the manipulation of dreams (explaining how they all appear in each others)/visions and pushing them in a certain direction and. The countdown clock is a test of faith/conditioning. Lostzilla is a programmed threat, a sort of Darwinian selection device to weed out the unfit and thus select the types most suitable for these trapped island conditions.

There I've explained it so there's no point in watching anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Dunno about any theory that involves implanted memories. That would mean by the time Lost concludes, 40% to 50% of what we've seen would be stuff that never happened.* Seems like a strange waste of screen time. Surely by now we would have seen some more evidence to support this, like someone's flashback being grossly, obviously inconsistent or someone losing their memory as the implantation process goes a bit wonky.

*Yes I know NONE of it really happened and it's all a fictional tv show. Or is it? Just think about the way 5 of the numbers came up in the Lotto a few months ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

stevejazzx wrote:
    glad to hear there was no pole reversal as it wouldn't tie in time wise
    In what way would it not tie in time wise? Polar shifts happen on average every 500,000 years, we haven't had one in about 640,000 years... so we're pretty overdue.

It most likely won't be an instantaneous flip though... probably more likely to be a 100 odd years of having a weakend magnetic field. We'll be more likely to get cancer... but it won't be completely catastrophic to the human race.

Also.. I for one hope that the series leaves things open ended when it finishes up. No matter what they come up with to explain things won't compare to everyones individual imaginations. I certainly don't won't a plot in the final episode that tells us that the crab people were behind the whole thing.

In what way would it not tie in time wise? Polar shifts happen on average every 500,000 years, we haven't had one in about 640,000 years... so we're pretty overdue.

i was talking about the mayan polar reversal predicted for the year 2012 around late december

however the reversal may still be on(not in the sense that it has happened but that its one of the things dahrma are looking at) as only recently i heard the writers saying that reversal was a big part of lost and that many of the samll clues in lost have reversals? one famous one being jack tatoos and Dr. Marvin Candle s tie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Official Lost Magazine Spoilers From Show Writers And Producers

I thought Id put these here instead of starting a new thread as it ties in with storylines/theories been discredited, confirmed and speculated by show writers and producers. These are all from the official Lost magazine.

Buckle up ;)

03/21 - Co-creator/Executive producer Damon Lindelof reveals (note that this is a summary of the spoilerish things he revealed): The images in the [monster] smoke [that faced Eko] are ALL very relevant. Some make sense to you now (like the church from Eko's flashback), some will make sense to you LATER (like the woman with the head-dress).

Source: The Official Lost Magazine, Issue 4, May/June 2006

03/21 - Writer/Supervising producer Javier Grillo-Marxuach reveals (note that this is a summary of the spoilerish things he revealed):

"Henry's true identity is going to be the topic of a lot of contention on the show. We plan on heaping twist upon twist upon twist with that! Henry is a character that the fans are going to have to watch very closely, because he carries great meaning for the future of Lost and the castaways in general. On the island, his ultimate faith is going to affect everyone on the show. [Fans should keep close attention to] the Others [and] where they have drawn a line on the island. You can expect that situation to get a lot worse. There are going to be some surprises that are going to be some very dark turns, that at least one of the characters is going to make. One of the characters is going to have some shocking destiny!

The focus of the season is how do we co-exist with the Others. Their intentions are very obscure. The [survivors and the Others], both through circumstance and willingly, are going to step over [the] line [drawn by Mr. Friendly, aka Zeke.] The results of that are what the rest of the season is going to be about. We are building towards a serious moment of chaos. [We will learn about what happened to Michael.] What happened to Michael, who did he see, who was communicating with Michael, and how does Michael's story resolve itself is going to be a major concern of the last third of the season. The Others are by no means anything that we think they are. What is going to be interesting is how that unfolds -- that is something we are going to be giving you some very definte hints about towards the end of this season, but the full picture of who the Others are, why they're here, and what they're doing, is going to remain a mystery for a while. [Rousseau] is one of those characters who is always going to be in the periphery of events. [The Kate, Jack and Sawyer situation will get more complicated.] You can expect that to be unresolved for a while to come! In response to [the frustration he lives on the island], Locke is going to go to some new places that we have not seen that character go to before. We are going to explore more in detail and we're gonna find that [Rose and Bernard] have very interesting back-stories"

Source: The Official Lost Magazine, Issue 4, May/June 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

The Others are by no means anything that we think they are.
    Interesting. If they're not Dharma then who could they be? Other castaways?
    We are going to explore more in detail and we're gonna find that [Rose and Bernard] have very interesting back-stories
    Should be good. Some connection to Dharma mayhaps? When Rose knew that Bernard was alive, was it more than just faith?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ohh, it sounds exciting! I can't wait. I just want to watch the whole rest of season 2 NOW!

JJ Abram's Interview with Sci - Fi magazine from the first season

Quote:

Do you know what the mystery of the island is?

Abrams: We know a lot of what's going to happen, but as you go it starts to sort of become clear what it needs to be. You have to respect it as much as you want it to respect you. I swear to God, I know it sounds nuts, but it's sort of this relationship you have between this living, breathing story and the creative intent to make it. And you kind of have to have a dialogue with it.

Do you have a long-term plan for the show?

Abrams: What we have right now is a really great end of year one and a really great end of year two. Now, whether that ends up happening is anyone's guess. If we're lucky enough to keep going, the end of year two might not happen until year five. It might happen the first episode of year two. Who knows? But we have an idea. I always say it's like driving in the fog, where you can vaguely make out where you're going, the shape of the place. And you're heading there. But you're going to find roads you never saw or thought you'd take. In fact, the closer you get, you might realize, oh, that wasn't it at all. I'm going there. You have to have a direction.

Do you have a final ending already in mind?

Abrams: The great thing is this: The ending of the series, it's either whoever's there gets off, or they've accepted where they are, or they die. Those are the three possible endings. And I feel like each of them could be done in a satisfying way, like, "Oh my God." So I'm not worried about ending the story. But I would hate to take people though a journey and at the end of the day not have some kind of deep, emotional satisfaction. So I'm very optimistic about the long term, but I'm only optimistic about that because I feel like the short term is working as well as it is.

Lindelof Interview from January 2006

Quote:

Serialized television is a curious thing. The writers control where a story begins, but networks usually say when it ends. That's especially true with a show that's a hit, whether it's "The X-Files" or "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Lost." Networks want hit shows to stay on as long as possible, even when the original story arcs should have long since come to natural conclusions.

"The reality is," Lindelof says, "that Carlton, myself, J.J. [co-creator J.J. Abrams], the creative brains behind the 'Lost' universe, we could all band together and say, 'We're ending the show after three seasons because that's the arc. They get off the island, and we reveal all the things we want to reveal.'

"And the network would say, 'No, you won't.' They will hire somebody and do 'Lost,' with or without you."

On the other hand, if you're a dedicated fan of J.J. Abrams' other ABC show, the spy drama "Alias" -- which has a plot so convoluted that explaining it could cause a cerebral hemorrhage -- you've long since learned not to sweat the small stuff.

"We suggest you do the same on 'Lost,'" Lindelof says. "That's between the lines here. If you're watching the show because you're waiting for the big answers to come, you have to understand that by the nature of what it is -- it's not a movie, it's not a series of movies, it's not a trilogy, it's not a miniseries -- it's going to be on the air for as long as ABC wants to keep it on the air.

"How can you ever possibly think that 'Lost' will end in a satisfying way? Carlton and I can almost guarantee you that it will not."

Co-creator/Executive producer Damon Lindelof reveals: The images in the [monster] smoke [that faced Eko] are ALL very relevant. Some make sense to you now (like the church from Eko's flashback), some will make sense to you LATER (like the woman with the head-dress).

ekoVsMonsterWoman2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Giant game of backgammon going on perhaps....

LadyJ wrote:
    Giant game of backgammon going on perhaps....

You see it too? sarcastic.gif

And there was me thinking I had to cut back on the bong

Then
    how the fook do we explain Marvin Candle/Dr. Wickman's ever changing appearence? The fact the Season 2 finale is said to be taking place in the year 2000 and yet Jin's flashback was in 2004? The timeline seems very fuzzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

The purgatory one just seems so fitting especially after ep 207! but it can't be true if some people are dieing and others are being taken away.

you're being to literal...
    purgatory is not a real place, but many cultures believe in the island closest to heaven/closest to hell (FF fans should get this), which is a real place where souls go to make their final choice eg. if a really, really good person did one bad thing, such as murder, they would go to the island to find their chosen path, good vs evil, but they would be unaware of this ie just by doing good deeds on the island will not atone for your sins, the same is true in reverse (which is also backed up by the fundamentals of dharma [that's buddhist belief, not made up company] if a truely bad person does something really, really good, such as sacrificing themselves for others, they too will end up on the island.

... now if you look back at all ancient religions, people were regularly visiting heaven and hell in their respective guises, so therefore could visit the island.. but as time and religion have moved on these places have no longer been physical, that is to say that they are perceived as metaphysical.. but they are still out there somewhere.

... now imagine a dodgy corporation with slightly immoral goals.. they wish to conduct experiments, but need to do it 'under the radar' as it were, so like atom bomb testing why not do it on one of the many pacific islands, without a soul around..

.. now what if they just happen to stumble across this particular island...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This might have been mentioned, but Gary Troup (who wrote the "Bad Twin" book that Harley was reading) is an anagram of Purgatory

That doesn't have to mean the surviviors are actually in a religious version of purgatory, but coupled with the Valenzetti equation (the numbers?) also mentioned in the "LOST Experience" (all the websites, phone lines, and fake ads running at the moment) it would lead you to believe that the island is something to do with an on coming apocolapse.

Or it could be another bit of mis-direction by the writers, having a bit of fun at people who post theories on internet boards :p

Wicknight wrote:
    it would lead you to believe that the island is something to do with an on coming apocolapse.

One of the lines that jumped out this season was Henry Gale's
    "Even God cant see this place" ....... hmmmmmmmm

Loon: Im not reading anymore of your spoilers. They all seem to hint too much at the Season 2 finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

ok... but it's the same old stuff i was on about in season one... i did say people always forget things.
    'pull my finger' don't read this

.. don't worry though.. i wouldn't spoil the end of season two.. besides, we haven't even finished filming it yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I have a theory about the 2nd season finale, it's just a guess obviously, but if it's correct, you all have to give me one bajillion euro for being so awesome:
    ANOTHER FRIGGIN' PLANE CRASHES ON THE ISLAND!! :eek:
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I thought that the purgatory one seemed really likely, and that the writers may have found a subtle way of lying about it . . .

But then I remembered the numbers. If they're all dead, then how come the numbers affected Hurley when he was alive? Not to mention all the other coincidences/people running into each other etc.

Advertisement