Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting work in Holland?

Options
  • 12-03-2006 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone here has been on a working holiday in Holland or if they lived in Holland for a while, how easy/difficult did you find it to get work without speaking Dutch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Don't know about the Summer work situation but language won't be a problem - everybody speaks English. Try FAS - they place people abroad for Summer work.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

It depends where you are going to be, in Amsterdam it shouldn't be too diffucult to get something. A lot of people working in the Irish bars dont speak Dutch, and you could probably get office work either, I work in Amsterdam and speak English all day in the office. Outside of Amsterdam, it's probably more difficult but not impossible to find something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

k thanks for your help, anyone else have any expierience with this situation please post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Sorry for bumping this thread..
    My brother is heading over to Holland in a few weeks.
    Is there any website that he can go onto to enquire about jobs, i'd say he will just be looking for barwork. I'm not sure what part of holland yet though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Living Aboad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Been a while but i lived in Holland from 1997 to 2001 and some time in 2003.
    The biggest problem in Holland is not work it was always accomadation.

Bar work is one of the few jobs where you can get work by not going through a work agency or uitzendbureau.

There used be loads of seasonal work green house work horticultural stuff but its all been taken over by eastern europeans for much less rates than was offered before.

I went over witha company called fitzwilliam technical services FTS and they provided a job and accomadation which was grand for getting the foot in the door.

Dont see them advertising anymore dunno if they still about but they had work in laods of fields all skills.

The country is small and not sure how many irish pubs are in each city anymore but if your bro is just looking for bar work and nothing else he could well be dissappointed.

Advertisement