Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Suicide - choice

Options
  • 10-03-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what people think about this? Can anyone ever make the sane and rational choice to end their life? We have all heard about those websites that promote suicide as a healthy (excuse pun) option. Indeed I have read that the Ancient Romans favoured suicide when there was no enjoyment to be had in life, and that the Japanese were traditionally pro-suicide.
    In this I am excluding suicide due to terminal illness and focusing solely on suicide as an escape from life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,376 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where are these websites?
    I always find it strange that people would think there is no option. If I was in crazy debt or something I would just skip the country and start a new. Go live on a beach in south america with a few grand in the back pocket, there is always an alternative. Get a one-way ticket to the US and become an illegal worker or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

I'm just wondering what people think about this? Can anyone ever make the sane and rational choice to end their life? We have all heard about those websites that promote suicide as a healthy (excuse pun) option. Indeed I have read that the Ancient Romans favoured suicide when there was no enjoyment to be had in life, and that the Japanese were traditionally pro-suicide.
    In this I am excluding suicide due to terminal illness and focusing solely on suicide as an escape from life.

I don't think it's positive for a healthy person to commit suicide because they felt that no enjoyment was to be had in life. Change lifestyle, assess the bad around you and try make something positive out of it, get active in making a different and experience different cultures. There is nothing positive about becoming a statistic.

rubadub wrote:
    Where are these websites?

http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

But, is it a decision they could rationally make?

(I don't want to provide links to the websites because I don't want to promote them but if you really want I can find one or two)

Edit: Too late :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm confused as to what the distinction between 'positive' and 'regular' suicide. Short of committing suicide when life is still good, what's the difference? Why would someone commit suicide if life still gave enjoyment? And if life had nothing to offer what's positive about ending it?

Sure, it's a healthy option for those who don't want to have to care for their elderly.

• Advertisement

But, is it a decision they could rationally make?

Of course it is. There are always alternatives.

Damn. I can't find the website that I was looking for. It wasn't as twisted as Ag Meadh's. It must have shut down. It was a serious one where people debated suicide etc.

PM that site to me if you come across it again.

Damn. I can't find the website that I was looking for. It wasn't as twisted as Ag Meadh's. It must have shut down. It was a serious one where people debated suicide etc.

I'm confused as to what the distinction between 'positive' and 'regular' suicide. Short of committing suicide when life is still good, what's the difference? Why would someone commit suicide if life still gave enjoyment? And if life had nothing to offer what's positive about ending it?

Sure, it's a healthy option for those who don't want to have to care for their elderly.

The phrase means that it is a decision that they can make with "good feelings" and that they are not too mentally clouded by depression to make the decision.

The phrase means that it is a decision that they can make with "good feelings" and that they are not too mentally clouded by depression to make the decision.
    But why would someone commit suicide with good feelings? It just seems like a contradiction. You end your life for a 'reason' - either it is completely joyless with no prospect of change, or you are pre-empting a painful or degrading death. And neither of these fall under your definition of positive suicide.

• Advertisement

But why would someone commit suicide with good feelings? It just seems like a contradiction. You end your life for a 'reason' - either it is completely joyless with no prospect of change, or you are pre-empting a painful or degrading death. And neither of these fall under your definition of positive suicide.

I am not being clear enough - I apologise. Many people feel that suicides are irrational, one person I know said that considering the pain caused by suicide to their families no-one in their right mind would commit it. I suppose what I mean is can a person rationally decide that death would suit them better than life.

I suppose what I mean is can a person rationally decide that death would suit them better than life.
    Ah I'm seeing clearer.
    So it's more about the frame of mind, than the actual situation of the victim.
    Rational does not equate with positive though. The circumstances behind any suicide preclude any positive element for me.

Being in somewhere like the Bangkok hilton or a really bad situation when my human rights are degraded to such a point I may consider ending it. In such situations I think it's rational to think no life would be better than the one you currently live.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Being in somewhere like the Bangkok hilton or a really bad situation when my human rights are degraded to such a point I may consider ending it. In such situations I think it's rational to think no life would be better than the one you currently live.
    You're speaking of torture or illness. What if you are healthy but just day-to-day unhappy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

You're speaking of torture or illness. What if you are healthy but just day-to-day unhappy?

I'm sorry what is your point?
    If you're day to day unhappy to the point you want to end your life you are suffering from depression. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jsr

There is a huge amount of death by self determination in Japan. Web sites given over to meeting like minded people in case you want die but don't want to meet the end alone, even a book on how to do it with ratings for things like pain level, damage to your mortal remains and trouble caused to others eg jumpin in front of a train.....
    Im sure sane people have killed themselves, they could be disillusioned but that doesn't make them insane or clinically depressed. Just wondering if a person kills themselves, is their will automatically declaired nul and voil? This would be a good sign of the laws standing on the issue(insane being legal state and not a clinical/medical one)

Freelancer wrote:
    I'm sorry what is your point?
    If you're day to day unhappy to the point you want to end your life you are suffering from depression. End of discussion.
    Maybe they have nothing to be happy about? Even if they are depressed is depression enough for their decision to be placed solely on depression or are they still cognitively able to reach this decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Maybe they have nothing to be happy about? Even if they are depressed is depression enough for their decision to be placed solely on depression or are they still cognitively able to reach this decision.

YES!!!!!!!!!

Depression is a recognised mental illness.

I mean are you honestly saying that in a situation were someone doesn't want to do anything with there life, no ambition no interaction with other people, not interesting in anything, is really in emotional place to make a rational decision to end their own life.

You really need to explain this alot better.

Freelancer wrote:
    YES!!!!!!!!!

Depression is a recognised mental illness.

I mean are you honestly saying that in a situation were someone doesn't want to do anything with there life, no ambition no interaction with other people, not interesting in anything, is really in emotional place to make a rational decision to end their own life.

You really need to explain this alot better.
    Thats what I'm asking. Can suicide ever be a rational decision or is it always due to clouded minds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

rubadub wrote:
    there is always an alternative

Thats easy to say when you are not in that persons shoes. You honestly cannot know what someone else is experiencing and you have to accept the fact that sometimes there is no solution and things can really be that dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

There's certainly an argument for voluntary euthanasia for those with painful incurable diseases and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

When it comes to illness, then definitely, yes, it should be an option, or at the very least, assisted suicide should be de-criminalised (and have practical, safe, accessable proceedures).

But the question you are asking dosent really make sense as a question. I dont think I've ever heard of a happy person who wants to end it. The human mind is not designed to work that way.
    If somone wants to end it for no reason other than "lifes boring" there is somthing wrong on a deeper level imho.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm completly sane and I attempted it before. I am sane but other problems tdo come into effect. for example, depression can be thought of as insane by some people but not by others.Luckily I dont suffer from depression but I did try suicide one night and luckily I was caught trying it.

Im not going to get into it, but I am more or less a very happy person. I got great friends and a class family but you never know what is going on in someones head. Its not really a topic you can talk about to tell you the truth there are to many questions about it.

A fella that lived up the road from me killed himself, but it turned out he didnt kill himself it was some strange sort of painful masterbation that he was doing . Im not sure what the name of it is but its more or less choking oneself (pardon the pun) and he done it to long. Is that suicide? I think its a gamble imho meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

seanybiker wrote:
    I'm completly sane and I attempted it before. I am sane but other problems tdo come into effect. for example, depression can be thought of as insane by some people but not by others.Luckily I dont suffer from depression but I did try suicide one night and luckily I was caught trying it.

Im not going to get into it, but I am more or less a very happy person. I got great friends and a class family but you never know what is going on in someones head. Its not really a topic you can talk about to tell you the truth there are to many questions about it.

A fella that lived up the road from me killed himself, but it turned out he didnt kill himself it was some strange sort of painful masterbation that he was doing . Im not sure what the name of it is but its more or less choking oneself (pardon the pun) and he done it to long. Is that suicide? I think its a gamble imho meself.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-erotic_asphyxiation

Risky, yes, but not a suicide method.

seanybiker wrote:
    Read guts by Chuck Polonik:)

chern0byl wrote:
    Thats easy to say when you are not in that persons shoes. You honestly cannot know what someone else is experiencing and you have to accept the fact that sometimes there is no solution and things can really be that dark.
    what I mean by always an alternative is that if somebody wants to end their life then they can do so without killing their body, just kill their "life". i.e. drop everything and leave. Plenty of people seem to do this, there are millions of missing persons out there, some are of course murders, but many are people ditching their previous life and starting anew.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thats what I'm asking. Can suicide ever be a rational decision or is it always due to clouded minds?
    I would have to say yes, but, it is an extreme thing to do.
    Some people do not believe in an afterlife and some do. I can think of rational reasons to kill yourself on both counts, well, rational for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Leaving aside euthansia, what kind of a question is that? To be honest the cold clinical attitude to most of the posters makes me sick.

Most you ****wits are forgetting one thing in your ****ing rational discussion of suicide, and that is the desire to live,

The person that feels suicidal is in hell, a mental hell, and that is why they end their lives. The average, relatively happy person does not want to die. The extremely unhappy, depressed person does not want to live. You all talk about suicide as if it is your god given right to do so, and yes you can end your life, and do so by all mean, but ****in degraded it for us who have lost loved ones to suicide. Don't make it into a rational act, because its not a rational act. Nature drives us to live not to do, it is only the extreme, irrational and exceptional unhappy person that commits suicide. You asseholes talk about it as if it is a life choice, and if I get banned for this, your all talking complete and utter ****, get a ****ing life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

to add this thread makes me so angry that if I saw the original poster I want to slap you silly, and I would enjoy it. You have no idea the agony of those left behind when their loved ones die through suicide. Do you know words cannot express how I feel right now.

• Advertisement

McGinty wrote:
    what kind of a question is that?
    I think it is to question if...
    McGinty wrote:
    The person that feels suicidal is in hell, a mental hell, and that is why they end their lives. The average, relatively happy person does not want to die. The extremely unhappy, depressed person does not want to live.
    ...if that is true in 100% of cases, and for people to offer any other reason that people could possibly do it other than the reasons you insist are the ONLY possible ones.

McGinty wrote:
    Leaving aside euthansia
    So do you find euthansia acceptable. There are obviously varying degrees of it, what defines terminally ill 1 year to live, 20? What amount of pain does somebody have to be in to be allowed it be seen as euthanasia rather than suicide?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement