Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland are useless!!

Options
  • 09-03-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    As I am back from a year away in Oz, and have gotten a full time job, I decided to get a bill phone from Meteor. I was told I had to produce a bank statement as proof of address. I had my tax credits cert (P-something or other), but was told this wasn't sufficient. Fair enough, only mildly angry. So, off I go to the ATM outside my local branch (Whitehall) and order a statement. Away home I go, happy to think I'll have my shiny new phone in a few days. It's now been 9 days since, and no statement. Anger levels are fairly high now. That's the end of my rant. Any suggestions? Might wreck town!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

The GF banks with BOI - useless.

Open an account at AIB.

Is there any possibility that the statement got lost in the post?

Just go into your branch and ask them to print off a statement for you and stamp it with their stamp and date.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

bking wrote:
    Hi Folks
    As I am back from a year away in Oz, and have gotten a full time job, I decided to get a bill phone from Meteor. I was told I had to produce a bank statement as proof of address. I had my tax credits cert (P-something or other), but was told this wasn't sufficient. Fair enough, only mildly angry. So, off I go to the ATM outside my local branch (Whitehall) and order a statement. Away home I go, happy to think I'll have my shiny new phone in a few days. It's now been 9 days since, and no statement. Anger levels are fairly high now. That's the end of my rant. Any suggestions? Might wreck town!!!

Well I ordered a 6 month statement from them on Feb 16th. recieved it on the 22nd. Got charged €23.80 for it on the 23rd. Complained about it a few days later, because it wasn't printed on headed paper which was required because I was getting a mortage eslewhere.. I left it at that.. then Suddenly on March 3rd there was another €23.80 charge on my account. and yesterday an exact replica of the first statement I ordered arrived in the post. again not on headed paper.
    Going to my branch in a few minutes to make another complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

BOI are a shower of wasters. On 2 occasions I applied for a loan.

#1 - Applied for a loan. kept saving anywho. No word from the loan office to this day after asking about it repeatedly. Gave up after 2 months chasing as I had saved the money

#2 Applied for a loan. Had to chase it up a lot! Was told no after about 1 month of harassing. They guy actually said "don't bother applying again till may, you'll be automatically be refused". Asked why and he said its cos i moved my a/c from a student a/c to a graduate a/c and they want to see regular income into the account first.

Been with them since 1997

Wasters. Want to move to PTSB if they're any use

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

AIB ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Earthman wrote:
    Is there any possibility that the statement got lost in the post?

Just go into your branch and ask them to print off a statement for you and stamp it with their stamp and date.

Meteor won't accept that as proof.
    Has to be the one you get posted out I'm afraid. Annoying, but those are the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

BoI are a shower of bastads! I applied for a credit card with them and they refused me a week before I was to go travelling (I really need a credit card) so I closed my account with them, got a credti card with PTSB and am currently getting a new AIB creditcard to tranfer the old visa onto to avail of 6 months intest free (its some insentive thing to take you away from the competiotion)

I've seen ads for Ulster bank advertising free banking; No transaction charges, no standing order charges etc. etc so why don't you look into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

bking wrote:
    Hi Folks

Complain to manager of your branch that you are a member of. I had some issues with AIB a few months back, its a long story but i got money off the bank for poor service. So try it with BOI and you never know. Best free 100 euros i got. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

bking wrote:
    Hi Folks
    surely you received a couple of statements in your year away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

The OP wrote:
    Open an account at AIB.

I would highly recommend you don't take the above advise.
    I moved from AIB to PTSB as AIB are a shower of wasters.

AIB lost a loan application. Then when I rang them up they lied about having the application form and made up a contract for a loan that was incorrect. They then had to go about changing the terms of the contract for the loan. They also made me go to my actual branch to process the loan when this was not apparently necessary according to a branch of theirs in Dublin.

They lost 2 applications I made for a Credit Card. The 3rd application I had to get one of the AIB staff memebers to watch closely to make sure it was processed and got to the place in Dublin on time as I was leaving soon for America. I finally recieved the credit card. When I had the CC they sent me a letter stating that I was not eligible for a CC!!!

At the time I was also in need of a letter from them to state that I had a bank account. My branch told me that I could not get this letter unless i wrote into them and requested said letter. My friend was able to get her letter from her branch of AIB over the phone. I then walked into an AIB branch close to me, at the time, and they wrote up the letter there and then. Even then it was difficult for them to get it right. They wrote Mr. MyName when I'm obviously female. So they had to initial the mistake. When I asked could they fax it for me they refused to do so. While I was away in America my own branch sent me out the letter even though I hadn't sent in the required request, my thoughts are they probably thought they lost it.

That sums up AIB for me. I'm now with PTSB and very happy. Their customer service is lovely and they don't charge me for doing anything with my account which is an added bonus.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ulster bank are very good IMO, but something funny happened to me recently - I had a small loan with them, and it was nearing completion. They sent me out a mail saying "oh tbh, you've nearly paid off your loan, your credit rating is great, why don't you take out another loan?" and I ignored it. Three days later, another mail - "come on, you must have things you want to buy, surely?? Give us a ring for an aul loan there, you know you want to" and I ignored that as well. Two weeks later, got a three pager going on and on about how easy it would be to apply for a loan online, wouldn't even have to lift the arse outta the chair etc etc, so I thought "aah feck it, I could do with paying off the credit card anyway" so duely applied QUOTING THE REFERENCE NUMBER I WAS GIVEN - and they declined my application.

ps - I got a loan no problems in the branch a few days after. The guy kept saying "you're pre-approved for 10k, are you sure you just want 1?" and I was thinking "feck off, I know how this works, I say yeah and you tell me NO!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Everybody has their stories, I find BOI much better than UB or PTSB who I have dealt with in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

As soon as you threaten to close your account and take your business elsewhere they usually buck up their ideas imo. I use Ulster Bank, find them really good. BOI are a bunch of thieving tossers. They always slap charges on my account which exceed the overdraft limit and then try to charge me for being over the agreed limit. This happens constantly and as soon as I threaten to close the account they remove the charges :mad:

After years of ****e, the office changed accounts from AIB to Bank of Ireland last year. Find them far better than AIB, far nicer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

Aah, welcome back to Ireland. Where we've been bitching about how unbelievably bad the banks are for a thousand million years, and STILL nothing has changed. BTW, AIB just charged me a total of €46 for two copies of a statement going back 8 months. I asked for one copy of a statement for three months, but at least I got what I needed. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

AIB's strength is business / corporate banking, not personal banking. BOI is generally accepted within the industry as a better personal bank. And as Nuttzz said, everyone has their stories. Probably one for the consumer issues forum?

bking, go into a branch and get them to print and stamp a statement for you. That was enough for my mortgage company, so it should be enough for meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Are there any downsides of moving to ptsb? Do you get any sort of quaterly/annual bill? their atm cards work in all other banks machines over I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

Are there any downsides of moving to ptsb? Do you get any sort of quaterly/annual bill? their atm cards work in all other banks machines over I presume?

I moved to PTSB from AIB over a year ago and have found them great - anyone still paying bank charges is mad!

Only drawback I've found is not being able to top up my mobile phone on line - but since I got a bill phone I'm a happy camper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i've got someone on the inside in BOI so i'm well kept.

mayotom wrote:
    Well I ordered a 6 month statement from them on Feb 16th. recieved it on the 22nd. Got charged €23.80 for it on the 23rd. Complained about it a few days later, because it wasn't printed on headed paper which was required because I was getting a mortage eslewhere.. I left it at that.. then Suddenly on March 3rd there was another €23.80 charge on my account. and yesterday an exact replica of the first statement I ordered arrived in the post. again not on headed paper.
    Going to my branch in a few minutes to make another complaint

Well being to the branch and they have refunded me for one of the €23.80 charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I recently send BOI Technical Helpdesk an email suggesting they add a feature for downloading Credit card and Current account transactions from the 365online statements in comma delimited, Excel format, etc. It's a feature available on the Ulster Bank website and I find it very useful.

The response I got was that they're re-launching their website in June and have no plans to introduce this feature. Seems a pretty basic functionality to add to their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Crubeens wrote:
    I moved to PTSB from AIB over a year ago and have found them great - anyone still paying bank charges is mad!

Only drawback I've found is not being able to top up my mobile phone on line - but since I got a bill phone I'm a happy camper :D

Hmmmm I do use that feature, but its not the be all & end all.

Thinking of moving when my ssia matures in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

How do people find the various banks internet banking facilities?
    I'm with AIB and even though they are an expensive shower of money grabing sons of.... I find their online banking is superb.
    I worked for them for a while a few years back in a branch and you have almost all the information available to you as a teller in a branch has and can do almost as much with your account as they can. Set up bills to pay via banking, set up other accounts - even non AIB ones - to transfer money into, bang up to date transaction information (i.e. go to an ATM and withdraw money then log straight into your online account info and the transaction is there). All this is the same with the phone banking service.
    This compares with my banking experience with Ulster Bank going back about ten years where if you made a transaction on your account you'd be very lucky if it showed up the next day! And as for a transaction on your account happening on a Friday - good luck, wouldn't show up till the following Tuesday. Made it very hard to control the accout.
    As for BOI - never banked with them myself and never will. Was treasurer with to a society here in work that had an account with them. They managed to loose the bank mandate with the authorised signatures on it not once but twice. Very hard to get money when they have no idea who is authorised to use the account - had to take time off work to go down with all my personnel id twice to sort out their fcuk up. Not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I have a student account with AIB, I've never had any trouble with that but I don't use it very often tbh. My salary goes into a PTSB account and I find them average. A simple 24 hour loan application took nearly 6 weeks at Christmas time, which was nice. I'll probably be getting my mortagage with PTSB though so I'll keep them onside for the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm with PTSB in there Galway Branch and I find them utterly rubbish.
    On numerous occasions i've applied for loans/credit cards etc...and never have i had a single response. I've rang them up asking for assistance to be told they'll call me back which they never do.

I've made complaints about their service to the email addresses on their website and believe or not no reply again...

Bank of Scotland is calling me...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm with PTSB in there Galway Branch and I find them utterly rubbish.
    On numerous occasions i've applied for loans/credit cards etc...and never have i had a single response. I've rang them up asking for assistance to be told they'll call me back which they never do.

I've made complaints about their service to the email addresses on their website and believe or not no reply again...

Bank of Scotland is calling me...
    I have PTSB Galway too and have had no problems at all (so far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bking wrote:
    Might wreck town!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AIB only charge you €3 to print a statement.... at least when I got one printed a few years ago ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm with LadyJ here - I moved from Bank of Ireland to AIB in the South, and Ulster Bank in the North because they just kept screwing up and charging me for it. They always backed down when I took them up on it but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Ditched BOI and it's been pretty much problem free banking ever since.

• Advertisement

There all a shower of ****.

Stuff it all under the bed...:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement