Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC-based firewall?

Options
  • 08-03-2006 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Lo,

Recently acquired a new PC, and on the old one before it went poo, I had Sygate Personal Firewall. When I went to re-download it, I was distressed to see that Symantec have bought Sygate and that application is no longer available.

I did get the .exe on Tucows, but, as this is now discontinued software, what have folk recently seen as a good software-based firewall, and without cost?

Cheers,

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

It was bought by systemic due to the anti-hyjack code and patented areas of interest. :mad:

there is an open source firewall available under the BSD license
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdifw

might be a cheap solution. Depends on your needs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ZoneAlarm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I use the windows firewall and it does the job and its not bloat/ad/spyware like zonealarm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I've used Zonealarm for years and have always been happy with it, I know it went through a rocky patch last year but I was using Windows Firewall at the time so can't comment on that. Windows Firewall was fine but didn't have the reassurance value of being able to check what was going on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

coreforce seems interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭leche solara

There are many goodies here including free firewalls:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

Advertisement