Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roy Brindley

Options
  • 08-03-2006 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Anyone see the William Hill Poker last night on Sky Sports 2. It was the semi final, winner ony to progress to the final.

Brindley absolutely blew everyone away and steam rolled Barny Boatman heads up. TV poker has been quite rubbish lately with every program showing only key hands and allins, but this was just a savage display of poker at its finest from Brindley. He is just sheer class....

It meant a hell of a lot to him too as he had more than a couple of tears in his eyes at the end.

His play just blew me away....it was an amazing two hours of TV Poker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

Boatman was absolutely dire heads up, i was shocked by his passive calling station play. He was limping on the button with small pairs and the likes of AT and then passing to any sort of bet, with large blinds. This is totally inept play. And afterwards he said he was pleased with how he played, i dont rate him at all now after that.
    Brindley was way the best player at that table.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Boatman was terrible throughout. Brindley was good but not the best imho, he got very lucky against iwan jones when he rivered a gutshot str8 which gave Jones a set. I remember watching Brindley play in the BPO last year which was totally LIVE, and he amateurish to say the least against devilfish and gus hansen. Ben Roberts was the best at that table but things just didnt go his way, fair play to Brindley though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I've not seen Roy so focus on his poker in a long time and he's very hungry at the moment for a big win, I think we'll see him do something this year.

I also read that he's now the manager of Andy Black too.

Fair play to him and he's a nice guy and also and loves living here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I never understood how people rate Roy the Boy so highly

I have played against him many times
    and I never found it that hard to play against him

And I am so bad I cant beat the Stars .5-1 game :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

In fairness Boatman gave it to him
    passing up at least (i only switched on halfway) 4 unraised pots with top pair/set.
    Hand of the night
    yer man in the red catches AK suited
    Roy moves all in with 22
    the other fella calls
    flop comes KxK Turn is a lovely 2.....
    jammy git ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Does'nt Lucy Wokash talk a great game. Her analysis of plays always seems 90% critical. I think she forgets the players can only see their own hands:rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

in fairness to lucy, in 99% of cases she was right and barny was wrong imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

Maybe its just me but I could count on one hand the people who have impressed me so far in this series.

Obviously its only small sample size that we see, but very few plays actually made me think that was impressive, and some of them made such horrible glaring fundamental errors that you were just sitting their wondering how on earth they got to that stage in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

The most impressive player i saw in the qualifiers was Phil Laak. Thought he was quality. Love to watch him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Does'nt Lucy Wokash talk a great game. Her analysis of plays always seems 90% critical. I think she forgets the players can only see their own hands:rolleyes: .
    110% agree, she is without doubt the worst commentator on Poker I've ever heard, by listening to her you'd think the only moves in Poker are to lay a trap or bluff. Actually I suppose her crappy analysis might make a few more fishy ATM's around.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭pokypoky

anyone who lays claim to the nickname "golden ovaries" shouldn't be allowed on television in my opinion. Its just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Idoubtit

Phil Laak was great because his talk makes good tv, but if I remember correctly even he said that he didn't need any skill to win that heat. When someone hit a big hand he kept hitting even better hands, he didn't have to do much "playing". Ram was for me by far the most impressive in the heats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

pokypoky wrote:
    anyone who lays claim to the nickname "golden ovaries" shouldn't be allowed on television in my opinion. Its just wrong.

Goldenballs was crap last night too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

i think Roy's "tears" in his eyes might have had something to do being as drunk as a lord!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

pokypoky wrote:

Lucy Rockach has a wealth of poker experience, accolades and winnings under her belt.
    She is widely respected as one of the best female poker players in Europe if not the world.
    She writes columns for numerous high profile poker magazines including "card player"
    Her style is critical but she is often correct.

What have you ever done to feel justified in slagging her off?

(from the typing hands of Nikki under the Pit-Boss name)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Lucy Rockach has a wealth of poker experience, accolades and winnings under her belt.
    She is widely respected as one of the best female poker players in Europe if not the world.
    She writes columns for numerous high profile poker magazines including "card player"

Poky was just semi-joking.

I've won freerolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

LOL :0) woohooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

pokypoky wrote:
    I've won freerolls.

I won a goldfish once but you don't hear me bragging and I certainly don't have golden ovaries :p:p:p

All true, and she is a good player, BUT, she is a CRAP commentator. She certainly doesn't play like she commentates... (If she did, she wouldn't win anything... ever!!)

• Advertisement

I never questioned her ability I just disagree strongly with her nickname. Imagine if any of us were nicknamed the "golden testicles". I bet she hates it. I'd like to be nicknamed goldfish actually. Poky "the goldfish" Poky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Agreed, definately the stupidest nickname in the poker world. Or any world, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Ste05 wrote:
    All true, and she is a good player, BUT, she is a CRAP commentator. She certainly doesn't play like she commentates... (If she did, she wouldn't win anything... ever!!)

Would have to disagree with you. I love her style. e.g "what on earth is he thinking" and " how could he possibly believe he has the best hand" etc , It s critical, but she is there as a expert, so why not. The lady has being commentating since the the first series of LNP and imho is one of the easiest to listen to. Thumbs up for me is what I thought was a excellent televised event with top class contributions from Jesse and herself.

Would have to disagree with you. I love her style. e.g "what on earth is he thinking" and " how could he possibly believe he has the best hand" etc , It s critical, but she is there as a expert, so why not. The lady has being commentating since the the first series of LNP and imho is one of the easiest to listen to. Thumbs up for me is what I thought was a excellent televised event with top class contributions from Jesse and herself.
    My problem with her commentating is that she seems to commentate as though you should know exactly what hole cards your opponent has.

I remember one time watching her and some guy raised with JJ, and was called with something like 77.

Flop came down something like a flushing K,Q,4, the PFR checked and she starts going on about how, he was setting a trap :eek: the other guy then checked behind,

Turn comes down completing the flush and the PFR bets (he doesn't have any of the flush) and she says that he's betting to try and extract some value from his hand). 77 folds and says how it was a brilliant lay down because he knew he was getting trapped.

Obviously the play was fairly standard but her reasoning behind it was just mad IMHO. How can he be setting a trap on a highly coordinated board with 2 overcard to the PP. The only way her commentating made any sense would be if you could see your opponents hand. (these details aren't correct but it's just the general way she seems to commentate, I can't remember the hand I'm talking about that really made me nearly shout at the TV, but it was along these lines)

However, I think Jesse normally gets the best out of his Co-hosts and with him she might be alot better. Anyway end of rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

pokypoky wrote:
    I never questioned her ability I just disagree strongly with her nickname. Imagine if any of us were nicknamed the "golden testicles". .

what about beckham being called goldenballs?

kinaldo wrote:
    what about beckham being called goldenballs?

Thats about the football man, nothing to do with testicles, im worried u would even entertain such thoughts. Imagine trying to play football with golden balls although that would explain his lack of pace and why madrid paid such a ridiculous amount of money for him....hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

pokypoky wrote:
    that would explain his lack of pace

Have you ever won the champions league? I dont know how you could possibly comment.

Dont rate that competition. The intertoto cup is where the real football is played. Better structure to accomodate the better teams like West Ham...Champions of Europe!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I 100% agree Nikki. I was thinking when watching this that I haven't heard a poker commentator ever that knew so much about the game. Carlo Cittrone talks ****, Roy Brindley is good but a bit too critical, and Padraig and Jesse are great together but there's not too much poker analysis. As far as the poker goes I think Lucy Rokach is the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement