Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp sys FYP?

Options
  • 08-03-2006 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I'm wonderring what to do for my FYP.

What I'd really like to do is make a game in a multimedia creation tool, called Multimedia fusion. I don't know if I'd be allowed do that.

MMF doesn't create things through typical programming, which is the main problem. You also have a visual basic like "frame editor".

The code is done in an event editor of sorts. You choose from a long list of complicated scenarios, then choose an "Object" to react to that, and type in some funny maths equations so it works according to the write values. There's quite a lot of maths in it to write out, but you "Click" to place the rest of the code. It sounds easy, but it's only easy for very simple programs. Because it's higher level it has a lot of limitations too that are difficult to work around, bug-fixing especially.

Athe end of the day, for anything past simple multimedia presentations, it's no easier than programming, but it's what I know best as I stuck with it for a few years.

I don't think I'd be allowed to use it though. You can see a demo at http://www.clickteam.com/

I'm wonderring what else I could use to make very big and complicated 2D platform games as I can't think of anything else I'd be good at doing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Your best bet would be to approach a lecturer with your idea and see if they're interested. Most of them in the CSIS department have FYP's that they'll supervise listed somewhere on the CSIS website so you could look through those. They'll also take suggestions from students if you've got a good idea. Give it a try you don't have anything to lose by asking.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You can probably use something like that as long as your project shows you are sufficiently technically proficient, so if you're not doing much programming you'll need to concentrate on system design or some other aspect of development. Like Rory says, go to a lecturer who might be interested and see what they say. Whatever you do, do something you'll enjoy or your FYP will be a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I don't think its a matter of how complex it looks to be honest. As was said by cornbb just make sure you can show that you're technically proficient when it comes to what you want to do. I know people who have done very simple projects for Comp Sys without any bother. If you're confident with it and you can find a lecturer interested in it go for it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

The only problem with it, is that because it's so high level there are some minor bugs that you can't fix in any logical manner.

That shouldn't be a manner though, while I don't know how to fix them, I mostly know what causes them. As long as I keep it well structured and keep tons of backups it should be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement