Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops versus desktops

Options
  • 08-03-2006 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm in the market for a new computer. My budget is 1000euro. I'm looking for a computer to write, email, internet, some music storage and photo storage (not a huge pile of the latter two but there may be more in future). I have been looking at laptops but I'm not sure. As I'm going to be for the most part using the computer at home on my desk would it be better for me to buy a desktop?

The reason I do like the laptop idea is because it's mobile and I hope to go travelling at some stage soon. Realistically however this won't be for at least another year.

Is the mobility factor so important and what do other people think? I'm getting really frustrated with all the options out there and not being able to make up my mind!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

So long as you don't get a laptop that's so heavy you can't lug it around on business, but one that's small and full of parts that can't live up to the task. Something with an Intel mobile core in it reasonably clocked with about 512MB of RAM might do you. The size really does matter when moving about...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Generally speaking, you get more for your money with desktops.

However, and it's one helluva however, you have to weigh up the various options such as:

Broadband - would you like wireless? Or would a wired connection suffice?
    Mobility - do you mind being stuck in one room working on the PC, or would you like the option to surf the net on the couch in the sitting room (or out the back garden in the hammock, for that matter)?
    Room - do you have room for a PC/monitor - a laptop would take up a lot less space.

Dell are currently selling basic laptops for around 490 Euro and basic desktops for around 350 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'd get a desktop, be far cheaper, help you save money for your travels.

And as regards taking a laptop on travels I'd reckon it would be a pain in the butt carrying any laptop with you if you're on a worldtrip. Sure half the time you won't be able to plug it in never mind get a internet connection. Better to rely on cyber cafe's tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

taking a laptop on travels I'd reckon it would be a pain in the butt carrying any laptop with you if you're on a worldtrip

and don't forget all the World is waiting for you and your laptop to arrive so they can "Pinch it!!!!" ...... :p

Cyber cafes !!!! ..... that's the way .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Buy the computer/laptop that you need now. Not the one you'll need in a years time, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Perhaps just get a desktop for now, and if and when you decide to start moving about get a notebook? Delay's that headache, so long as you don't mind shelling out now and later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pollynumber2

Hi folks,

thanks for your advice. Having weighed everything up, I think I'm going to go with a laptop. I have the room for the desktop at the mo, but will be moving in July and it might be an issue then. Also my 'travels' will be hopefully more to do with reporting on issues than just seeing stuff, so i reckon I'll need a laptop.

Anyhows I have heard that Toshiba laptops are the best. I got a quote from BMS.ie for 1190 for a Satellite M70. Does anyone know a cheaper place to get Toshiba or any other ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would certainly say Toshiba are up there with the best, but I personally would say IBM are the best. I am typing this one one at the moment, and I have used various models of IBM laptops over the past 6 years.

The have never given an ounce of trouble, battery life is excellent and build quality is even better. I got mine (Centrino, 1.6Ghz, 512Mb RAM, DVD burner) from Laptopsdirect.ie for 946 Euro delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I think that Samsung have some of the coolest systems around. Samsung claim to have one fifth of there employees in R&D all the time and it shows in there designs.

Your needs are not very demanding so a laptop is a good choice.

For the best value Dell is selling a Inspiron 1300 for around E500.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ive heard from numerous people that dell have lost the plot with their laptops and the build quality is gone down very badly over the last 2-3 years, I have at leats 4 mates who have had faulty dell laptops and they have been pretty major faults (HDD/Screen etc)

Any truth in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well any dell laptop ive had was ok, but the recent bunch is standing up, except for a small HDD fault and trackpad fault.

oh and IBM all the way, great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

rabbitinlights,
    The thing about Dell laptops is that they are designed and manufactured by 3rd parties. These 3rd parties make most the laptops produced in the world. Dell only finish them locally with keyboards etc. So they cant be all bad. I personally don’t like most of the widescreen models.

Some of the Dell laptops are of excellent build and design. My Top 3 are:
    X1
    D410
    D600

Advertisement