Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fancy guy at work

Options
  • 08-03-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I do not work anywhere near him whatsoever he is off over the other side of the building. I fancy him and would like to go out sometime with him. I know he is from my area and a bit about him cause he plays sports bla bla bla. I have his email address at work cause he is in the company address book what do ye think should i go for it and mail him. I would say he has an idea of who I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Shy bairns get nowt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

E-mail him, what's the worst that can happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭R-KEANE

If a cute girl in the building mailed me asking em out I'd think I was being wound up. Do it face to face. Sure its tougher but so what? He lives miles away, not in the same department. What have you got to lose? There is a way to do it though. Pass him in the hall, smile at him, very important to make eye contact. Ask him what he's doing at the weekend if you get talking. No point in just blurting out 'hey, wanna go out sometime'. That wouldnt work on you would it? Keep it natural, but just do it. You'll miss out if you dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Why not go over & chat to him, test the water & ask him out in person? I wouldn't use business e-mail to contact him.....he can forward it to people, he can report you for it, depending on protocol your company can repremand you & you come across as much more mature & approachable if you do it with a smile & in person....if you are too shy & e-mail can be used for personal stuff, then go for it! Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭laluna

Yeah email is a bit dodgy - could encounter probs alright. What about a note on his desk i reckon i come in earlier than him in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

laluna wrote:
    Yeah email is a bit dodgy - could encounter probs alright. What about a note on his desk i reckon i come in earlier than him in the morning.

Again, why not in person? I find assertiveness an attractive quality, if someone starts lurking about leaving notes or sending messages - or even worse, going through a "mutual friend" I would run a mile.....that's just me tho....:)

laluna wrote:
    another poor attempt. find a reason to go over to him. make it a silly reason (obvious you want to see him) then get into conversation. if conversation is flowing then you will get to ask him out. dont psych yourself out. also, pout and show a bit of leg (haha only kidding)

also, use the line 'i'm not usually this forward but..' often helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I remember a couple of months back, someone posted a thread about a girl he fancied in work and was looking for advice on waht to do. They go on really well and they went for a drink before there x-mas party. The last i heard they were still together:D ( not sure now though)

So i would say go for it, what do you have to lose? he works on the otherside of the building and if he did say no, you prob wont see him again.

Ask him out for a drink on friday and see what he says...at east you can put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

yeah, talk to him.

emails and notes are so impersonal and may freak him out if you don't know him.

if you have a chat with him you'll be able to guage what he is like a wee bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

DON'T SEND AN EMAIL whatever you do. A guy in my job done the same thing to a girl he fancied. The girl didn't fancy him, showed the email to everyone and he never lived it down (the email was very soppy).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Catch him at the coffee machine/fax/photo copier and talk to him. Don't e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 claire_dublin

Send him an email and if he likes you he will say yea!. He is a man so he is not going to think, 'oh she didnt even have the courage to come over to me face to face'. Then when you are out with him you can just explain to him you were a little shy about approaching him face to face. I can guarntee he will understand you. Now go do it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Do it face to face, we send emails from other peoples computers in work all the time asking people out, he'll probably think its BS (childish I know but office work is dull) Try meeting him in the coffee area "conveniently" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ill agree with Claire here, send him the email!

You never know, it just might work, us men dont look into things too much.....

:)
    Send him an email and if he likes you he will say yea!. He is a man so he is not going to think, 'oh she didnt even have the courage to come over to me face to face'. Then when you are out with him you can just explain to him you were a little shy about approaching him face to face. I can guarntee he will understand you. Now go do it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Do NOT email him - talk to him in person. Cause chances are he has no clue who you are, and it will only be embarrassing explaining "that you are the blonde girl with the blue jumper on the second floor, department X" or something to that effect...Unless you can "fake" a professional problem - you need help with file X or your computer crashed or something like that - then you could email him "professionally", and then ask him to go on a break together or something...Otherwise: catch him at the coffee machine or the copier or somewhere convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Let us know what department he works in and we'll come up with a scenario where he can help you :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Let us know what department he works in and we'll come up with a scenario where he can help you :)

"i'm here to fix the photocopier...."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I got an email I would probably reply telling you to f*ck off. Why? because I would be 99% certain it was one of the lads who hi-jacked your email while you were out to lunch. I would have forwarded the email to all the lads in work saying "I know it was one of you bastards", and you would be known as the office tramp from now on.

I would never get involved with people in work and he may not either so I would go very easy on making a move. Ask what he is up to at the weekend, you say he lives near so you could easily say, "oh right, I am going to McThirstys that night too with my mates, I might see you there and say hi"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

laluna wrote:

A message out of the blue from someone he hasn't meet properly will just seem a bit weird. I would try and strike up a conversation with him sometime, at lunch or coffee or something. You can then ask him out after that.

Do you all go to the pub on Fridays or anything, you could try and get near him and have a good old chat. Then maybe on Monday say "Had a nice time talking to you on Friday, would u like to do something some time" ..that kinda thing. Worked for me with a girl from work a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭laluna

just to let ye all know i got talking to him he said feck he was going out withsomeone otherwise he would meet up. he said it was not serious but he likes her and lot and doesnt want to mess things up. thats basically it he knows i am available so i would love sometime to go for a beer with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

laluna wrote:
    just to let ye all know i got talking to him he said feck he was going out withsomeone otherwise he would meet up. he said it was not serious but he likes her and lot and doesnt want to mess things up. thats basically it he knows i am available so i would love sometime to go for a beer with him.

ya got rejected, albeit nicely. If he is with someone, leave them to it. Best not to try get your foot in. Might only hurt your-self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep, I just came on here to say don't email him too. Personally I wouldn't go out with anyone I still worked with but that's just me. Just a big NO on the email!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I did this in a place i used to to work. Just asked some girl out. It was crap though. Would have been pissed off if i didn;t work up the courage to do it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Email is a bad idea for the first contact. Its basically a physical record that could haunt you especially if the guy turns out to be a pr*ck.

If you work together and live near each other, there surely must be some way you can wangle a chance meeting. Once you get even a sliver iof interest, then a mail/text or note would be appropriate.

Good luck

Advertisement