Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptops ,laptops or tabletops.

Options
  • 08-03-2006 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I'm used to be a mug that just bought dell machines because at the end of the day ,they are cheaper than anything else.
    But last year instead of going for one of their laptops i bought a siemens.

Like many others we get brochures in the door from dell every other week and i can't help noticing their laptops are quite thick compared to mine.

Anyone any comments on dell laptops ,are they as bulky as they look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

My best buddie has recently purchased a Dell 1300 and she's delighted with it .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'm sitting across from a lad with a Fujitsu Siemens laptop right now.
    Looks as thick or maybe a little thicker then my Inspiron 6000.

It depends on the model really. The Inspirons aren't supposed to be the most portable of things, those would be their Latitude models I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

All depends on the model, evey manufacturer has thick and thin depending on price and components etc. Dell are not the cheapest out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

there not the cheapest but at the end of the day you pay for what you get.
    look at mine ( sig ) :

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I have the Dell X300 and and the D410 and there both class laptops. The newer model of the X300 is the X1 which is one of the smallest out there. The D410 is also a class laptop a bit bigger the the X300, it is very robust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have the 9300 and it weighs less and is less thick than the 5100 I had before hand.

As time goes by laptops will get smaller and ligther like what happened with mobile phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I paid just over 1000 euro for my laptop and i get over 31/2 hours from it.

It's 1 inch fully closed.

Of course a laptop is small if you pay twice that.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've seen an awful lot of Dell clunkers around college... You can go *much* smaller. Some of them aren't too bad, like the Latitude D610 that a friend of mine has, but the Inspirons seem to be bioody huge! If you really want thin, go for a Sony Vaio or an Apple PowerBook/MacBook Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

But in a real world ,with all things being equal dells are quite on the bertha bud side.

I mean like you've got your big mac ,and then you've got your mega mac.

A laptop isn't for the roof of your gaf ,its for your lap.

I can pay a squillion euro and get a nano top
    But in a real world a grand don't come for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Inspiron 6000 here and it is large, not exactly a laptop, but then it has a 128mb gfx card and a 15.4 XGA screen, it is a desktop replacement and plays most games, the smaller more expensive ones wont touch, it depends on your need I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Asus M6Va here which is about 10mm thinner i expect than all the dell they have in my class, inspirons i think. Also pretty sure mine was around the same price as them and i recon better spec.
    Dont know about dell laptops but im happy with the 4hrs battery i can get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah its true that dell's are huge, but it all depends on what ur using it 4. Right now i have a Dell XPS M170, 17".
    The main use i have for it is in college, having my own machine exactly the way i want it set up, and giving me more grunt than the college machines ( especially for doing graphics stuff, being limited by the hardware and not by what you can actually make it do is frustrating ), so i don't actually need it to be slim, or even need particularly good battery life ( got bout 2 hrs ).

Advertisement