Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must see places in Manhatten??

Options
  • 08-03-2006 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I surprised my Dad with a trip to NY for 5 days as his present for his 60th! I will be going with him and I want to work out a schedule of places we MUST see!

I was there before with him about 8 years ago and we did the whole Statue of Liberty, WTC, Empire State etc! Which we will probably do again apart from you know where!

So, I would love it if any of you guys have any suggestions for some places we could visit while we are there!

I was recommended a Steak restaurant called Gallaghers which is run by an IRish guy! Anyone know it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Go to the USS Intrepid, big aircraft carrier located near 42nd street on the East side. There's one of the concordes there now apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm off to Manhattan tomorrow. I've shortlisted about 40 things to do during the week. And I'm still not sure if I have everything on it. Buy a guide book, best advice really :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Robert Emmets is a nice restaurant (or was when I was there) - near hooters too :D

NBC Studio Tour
    United Nations building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You really should see ground zero.

If you want to understand the diaspora....
    Ellis island.
    The tenemants museum.

What does your family like to do?

Im from manhattan btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

py2006 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I surprised my Dad with a trip to NY for 5 days as his present for his 60th! I will be going with him and I want to work out a schedule of places we MUST see!

I was there before with him about 8 years ago and we did the whole Statue of Liberty, WTC, Empire State etc! Which we will probably do again apart from you know where!

So, I would love it if any of you guys have any suggestions for some places we could visit while we are there!

I was recommended a Steak restaurant called Gallaghers which is run by an IRish guy! Anyone know it?

Thanks in advance!

Re Gallaghers - Yes, it's good but quite expensive. Our bill for 4 came to $400 approx. The table water is a rip off - costs as much as the wine but the steaks are excellent. It's on 52nd Street as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr.Clank

i understand its the daddy , but , if you go to a few bars and play some pool , bring 'em to a lap dancing place , some nice fun places that you can have a bit off crac and slag off one another , its not dirty , but a bit of 'dollar in the knickers ' type thing. comedy bar before mabye .

if i got my wife to follow this advise i'm sure you'll have a good nite with daddy. have fun:) :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Mr.Clank wrote:
    i understand its the daddy , but , if you go to a few bars and play some pool , bring 'em to a lap dancing place , some nice fun places that you can have a bit off crac and slag off one another , its not dirty , but a bit of 'dollar in the knickers ' type thing. comedy bar before mabye .

if i got my wife to follow this advise i'm sure you'll have a good nite with daddy. have fun:) :):):):)

Nah, I don't have that kind of relationship with my dad! Perhaps if I go again with a few mates"!

Litcagral wrote:
    Re Gallaghers - Yes, it's good but quite expensive. Our bill for 4 came to $400 approx. The table water is a rip off - costs as much as the wine but the steaks are excellent. It's on 52nd Street as far as I can remember.

Crap, It might be worth it as a once off! It sounds like I might have to book a table now! Is it all shirts and ties?

Any other restaurant recommendations that would be more relaxed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

py2006 wrote:
    Crap, It might be worth it as a once off! It sounds like I might have to book a table now! Is it all shirts and ties?

Any other restaurant recommendations that would be more relaxed!

There was no dress code although a lot of customers were in jackets and ties. We were dressed casually IIRC.

You really should see ground zero.

If you want to understand the diaspora....
    Ellis island.
    The tenemants museum.

What does your family like to do?

Im from manhattan btw.

I guess we like to do the usual tourist stuff! We really like cafe's and friendly bars and restaurants! Nothing too upmarket!

I like the idea of checking some museums etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

d-arke wrote:
    Go to the USS Intrepid, big aircraft carrier located near 42nd street on the East side. There's one of the concordes there now apparently

I was over there a while back with the boyfriend and he loved the Intrepid so I'd second this recommendation for you and your dad.

Another place to vist might be The Forbes Magazine Galleries (62 Fifth Ave at 12th St) - I really liked this place though it's quite small. (I think it's free if I remember rightly, but not open every day.)

They have really old Monopoly games and sets of soldiers, and all sorts of cool toys that make you wish you'd been born into a really rich family yourself! (I think they also have a good collection of Faberge eggs & stuff but it's the toys that I remember!! :) )

Sounds good! Will have to add them places into our itinery (spelling?)

Can anybody recommend a particular Cafe or Restuarant or bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

there's a deli called Roxy's Deli on times square. Biggest and most expensive sambo ever, think it was €25. but there was half a cow on it..

I have a list of things to do in new york somewhere. I'll post it up when i find it.

you interested in shopping?

Oh, pier 17 is really nice. its just kinda a relaxing place, really old, but modern too..

I'm going to New York at christmas for the 3rd time, its an amazing place.

Oh if you want to go up the empire state building i know of a few bars that give out vip passes for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Road Runner

d-arke wrote:

Ya i would add my recommendation to this as well. Well worth a visit.

Before i traveled to NY I went on to ticketmaster.com to see what was on in NY while i was there. The Yankee's or the Mets might have a game at home you could go see or there could be something interesting on in Madison Square Garden.

When i was there i went to see the Yankee's play and had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its Ice Hockey season as well, so maybe a trip to Madison Square Gardens to see the Rangers play, the ticket office is inside the Gardens so you can easily pick up tix for a game, amazing arena.

Take a walk down by Battery Park as well(near ground zero)

oh helicopter ride over manhatten! well worth it!

rugbug86 wrote:
    oh helicopter ride over manhatten! well worth it!

I did that the last time I went! It was amazing!

rugbug86 wrote:
    there's a deli called Roxy's Deli on times square. Biggest and most expensive sambo ever, think it was €25. but there was half a cow on it..

I have a list of things to do in new york somewhere. I'll post it up when i find it.

you interested in shopping?

Oh, pier 17 is really nice. its just kinda a relaxing place, really old, but modern too..

I'm going to New York at christmas for the 3rd time, its an amazing place.

Oh if you want to go up the empire state building i know of a few bars that give out vip passes for free...

Excellent, I will definitely check out Roxy's Deli. I hope to do a spot of shopping. Get some new clothes!

go to woodbury common - take the bus from port authority bus station. think its about $35 for the bus, but when you get there your bus ticket gets you an extra discount book :)
    www.premiumoutlets.com and search for woodbury for a shop list. bout an hour and a half outside manhatten, but worth it for the savings :)

rugbug86 wrote:
    go to woodbury common - take the bus from port authority bus station. think its about $35 for the bus, but when you get there your bus ticket gets you an extra discount book :)
    www.premiumoutlets.com and search for woodbury for a shop list. bout an hour and a half outside manhatten, but worth it for the savings :)

Actually, we went to a clothes outlet place when we were there last! I am not sure if its the same place or not as its 8 years ago now.

I bought lots of Ralp Lauren tops at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement