Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M powered or Core Duo powered?

Options
  • 08-03-2006 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My dad wants a laptop, it's HP DV1000

I know there is a core duo version, but I can't find it here in Ireland, and I don't know when the hell is it going to be available, but Centrino DV1000 is being sold in PCWorld and Dixons.

So I was wondering if he does not go with Duo, is it a big loss? will the performance loss be noticibly worse with what he does.......

He does:

Office programs
    Accounting program
    burn cds
    listen to music sometimes
    surf net

that's basically it

he does not:

Play games
    Encode video/audio
    Archive lots of stuff

Oh and I don't know about future proofing, Vista needs a decent graphics card, and this laptop has an intergrated one, on the other hand, he does not like all the "effects" and prefers the good old classic theme, but will Vista have it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wouldn't bother with dual core for what he wants. the biggest strain on what he is looking to do is burning cd's and that is dependent on memory - burner and not cpu.

I'm looking for a laptop for development work and i'd get good use out of a dual core running sql server in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks Jimmy, I'll go for it then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The dual core would certainly be an overkill for what he wants.

On a side note, do some serious research on the HP. I'm not going to start my usual anti-HP rant, but I was very dissappointed with my HP ZV5000 I bought almost 2 years ago. I had particular problems with the power cable falling out of the back of the laptop during normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had a HP until recently and it's made me migrate from desktops to laptops and that's for heavy duty Development work.

YUou can just get unlucky with any machine laptop or desktop. I had a Gateway laptop a few years back and it had to go back a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

For you're requirement the Pentium M will do fine. But if you were willing to wait a few months then the prices of Intel Dual core processors are going to be cut drastically (In an attempt to get mass migration to multi core systems). It would be a good way of future-proofing your purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

YUou can just get unlucky with any machine laptop or desktop. I had a Gateway laptop a few years back and it had to go back a few times.

LOL when I worked in Gateway the laptops were called Boomerangs :D

Advertisement