Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming with Linksys PAP2 box

Options
  • 07-03-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I occasionally travel throughout various countries where I would have access to broadband in hotels or at friends. If I plug in my Linksys PAP2 (which I received by subscribing to a VoIP co here in Dublin) into their routers/hubs, would I be able to make/receive phone calls as if I were at home?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Technically yes even though I've come across hotspots that block SIP, but usually the quality is poor because hotspots often have low-ish bandwidth and you're going through more network hops than you would here and as I've noted elsewhere, the VoIP codecs don't seem to be able to hack it in the real world. It's a pity because VoIP promises cool roaming features.

This is more to set your expectations. Bring it along and see how it goes. If you have a laptop and headset you can obviously use a softphone like X-Ten instead of dragging around the ATA + phone. That's what I usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Blaster99 wrote:
    This is more to set your expectations. Bring it along and see how it goes. If you have a laptop and headset you can obviously use a softphone like X-Ten instead of dragging around the ATA + phone. That's what I usually do.
    I have found that a softphone gives a much poorer quality than ATA. So that would not be a valid test.

My brother uses blueface from Finland with no problems at all, so roaming works as long as the network between you and your VoIP provider is good.

Advertisement