Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali Farka Toure R.I.P.

Options
  • 07-03-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

im not one to usually go for these tributes, but this is pretty sad. He was an absolutely first-class musician, after all.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread but since there's no section dedicated to World Music and he was, at least by journalists, called the King of the Desert Bluesmen, I thought I'd post it here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4782176.stm

(and Ivor Cutler died today as well, god damn it!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4781980.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Damn fine musician, one of the first 'world' musicians i got into but of course he was much more than that. Certainly one of the most soulful artists i've heard in my lifetime. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Fantastic musician, Talking Timbuktu is one of my all time favourite albums.

R.I.P Toure

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the first I heard of him was the clip on his death last night on C4.
    I would like to get some of his stuff as I liked what I heard.
    can you name his best albums?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

As mentioned by daddio 'Talkin Timbuktu' with ry cooder is quite a good a good introduction. Most the albums i've heard are good, red and green his most recent one is pretty interesting but kind of hard to get into at first. His self titled album is probably my favourite of his but for the most part you cant go wrong anywhere.

Advertisement