Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] New legislation to ban use of mobiles while driving

Options
  • 07-03-2006 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

New legislation to ban use of mobiles while driving
    07/03/2006 - 07:50:23

A long-awaited move to outlaw the use of mobile phones by motorists will reportedly be included in legislation due to be published in the coming weeks.

Reports this morning said the new Road Safety Bill would include measures to impose two penalty points on motorists caught using hand-held mobiles while driving.

Research shows that using mobile phones while driving significantly increases the risk of a crash.

However, the practice is not illegal in Ireland at present and a garda can only prosecute if he believes the motorist is driving carelessly as a result of using his or her phone.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/07/story247996.html

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Huh? I was sure this was in law already... great to see the Government are quick off the mark as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So was I. I have heard people claiming they were pulled over for it.

So you can talk to the person beside you with something something on fire in your hand which could easily drop in your lap (i.e. a cigarette). But you cannot hold a phone and talk at the same time.

At least it is a step towards something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

aren't laws supposed to come from common sense, surely driving while without care should be outlawed, and you never need to update the laws, will someone fiddling with their ipod be ok with this new law?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think as the article says the deal at the moment is that the Gardai can only pull you over if they consider that you're driving erratically as a result of using your phone, but not for the mere act of using a phone while driving however "safe" your driving might be.

I must say that when I got my first mobile phone, I did try and drive while using it once or twice, but I just felt massively unsafe doing it and have never done it since. If the phone goes off in my pocket I just ignore it and let it go to voicemail. If I absolutely need to make a call, I stop, and no, NOT on the hard shoulder ... that's not what it's for, people!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What about
    cassettes
    cigarettes
    and when will they make it illegal to soundproof cars / have the volume of speakers so loud you can barely hear what is around you ?
    lets get rid of gear sticks too.

mobile phones do increase risk by distracting drivers a lot.

but will this only apply to phone or to other hand held communications devices ?

will hands free phones be included too as they too are distracting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sean_r

Hi there,

Got cought with the mobile today....Just wondering as I was in the car at the traffic lights and the vehicle was not moving at all. Is this called 'while driving' ? I wasn't actually driving !
    Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

will hands free phones be included too as they too are distracting ?

So are passengers who talk to you.

They can pass as many laws as they like, things won't change without the garda backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sean_r wrote:
    Hi there,

Got cought with the mobile today....Just wondering as I was in the car at the traffic lights and the vehicle was not moving at all. Is this called 'while driving' ? I wasn't actually driving !
    Any thoughts?
    Sitting at traffic lights with your engine on is still classes as "driving" your vehicle. You don't have to be moving to be driving a vehicle.

Besides, the offence specifically is "Use by driver of vehicle of mobile phone while in the vehicle in a public place except when the vehicle is parked". Sitting at traffic lights, is not "Parked". You could try argue this, but you are then of course admitting to being parked illegally, which would probably yield a larger fine and more points :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

layke wrote:
    So are passengers who talk to you.

Well many studies have found that mobile phones, both hands free and not are more distracting then talking passengers for two reasons:

1) As passengers are in the car they are aware of the surroundings and will usually shut up when you are doing something dangerous (merging onto a motorway, etc.)

2) When speaking to a person on a phone, most people tend to visualise in their mind, the person they are talking to, which reduces their awareness of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I travel the M50 every day on my motorbike. There are some very obvious texters who drift about the lane by 2-3 feet. Just this morning at Firhouse junction, saw a Clio ahead of me drifting at 40-50 mph in overtaking lane. Saw that she was reading a few notes, so I held back. Space opened up on inside lane, so I moved into it. When I was passing her, she was on her phone starting to text.
    Gardaí could have a field day if they were to drive up M50 a few times and hand out tickets and points for this sort of driving. Might get the message across that it's not allowed.

Edit: also just before this, passed a guy reading his Dublin atlas at 40mph; presume he was trying to figure out which exit he should take...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

sean_r wrote:
    Hi there,

Any thoughts?
    the Road Traffic Act 1961 defines 'driving' as
    "driving" includes managing and controlling and, in relation to a bicycle or tricycle, riding, and "driver" and other cognate words shall be construed accordingly;
    I'd say that 'Managing and controlling' covers sitting in traffic with the engine on, as such a vehicle still requires your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

bk wrote:
    2) When speaking to a person on a phone, most people tend to visualise in their mind, the person they are talking to, which reduces their awareness of the road.

Then they'd better also ban impure thoughts while at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

What happens if you turn off your engine at traffic lights? (As I often do if I know it's going to be a significant wait)

Advertisement