Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thorn Birds

Options
  • 07-03-2006 12:58am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone here read The Thorn Birds? If so what did you think of it? It is one of my favourite books, controversial yet gripping...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I remember reading it years ago, and enjoying it,but then again I was a teenager. Now, tbh, I think that it's a bit soap-opera-ish.

Lucy Lu wrote:
    controversial yet gripping...

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that was filed under '1980s chick lit'? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Do they not live on Tracy Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that was filed under '1980s chick lit'? No?

If that's sarcasm, and I suspect it is, then it's unnecessary. She was just asking a question about a book she likes, not asking you to abuse her! We're all entitled to our own opinions. You may not have any time for the book, but that doesn't excuse being rude to someone because they share a different view.

Question - what do you think the 'lit' part of '1980s chick lit' stands for?

OP - I agree with Dudara, it's something I haven't read in years, but I do remember liking it and think it was very dramatic at the time I read it. I do think though that certain aspects - such as the drowning/suicide - are over the top, now that I'm looking back on it from a sizeable distance time-wise. However, at the time the drama fit in with the rest of the hugely dramatic elements of the story.

Advertisement