Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know Killygordon?

Options
  • 06-03-2006 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Do any of you guys know a place called Killygordon, which is in Co.Donegal?

A couple I know who are hoping to buy a house for themselves asked if I knew it, but I don't think I've really heard of it before. They asked me if it was an ok place to live, and if there might be any problems there they should know about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Killygordon is located on the N15 about 4 miles from Ballybofey and 10 miles from Lifford. Letterkenny would be 16 - 17 miles via Stranorlar. It isn't a very big place but like everywhere else has seen a lot of houses built over the last few years. There is a post office, a national school, one shop on the main road and a pub. Half a mile off the main road is another village called Crossroads. Again there is a school, a couple of pubs, a post office and a chapel. Shouldn't be any trouble or bother living there. I had a look at a show-house in a new development and the houses are really top quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thank you Smashey for the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Know it very well.

Its a fairly small village with a national primary road passing through it. Apart from the things mentioned by smashey there is a cafe/takeaway on the main st. The post office also has a little shop. The local doctors have a surgery there 2 days a week. The new housing development on the main st. is also to incorporate a filling station/restaurent/shop although there is no sign of it getting off the ground yet.

A couple of hundred yards down the road there is a new business park (large building with playschool and a few office units to let). In the same location is a new soccer pitch and astro turf pitches. Local soccer team compete in Donegal league. They also have under age teams. Crossroads village is also home to local Gaelic and hurling clubs. They each have seperate grounds - too long a story to go into.

Daily Bus service to Lifford/Strabane and Ballybofey (5 or 6 times daily).

Great salmon/trout fishing in the local river but you have to join the club or take out a day licence. Local gun club also (pheasant shooting etc - not the other type of gun club :D )

4 miles to the local bog if you feel like turf cutting ;)

All in all its a fairly decent place to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thank you muffler!

Sounds like a nice place...not sure about the turf cutting...don't think it's her scene...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I'm originally from around that part of the Finn Valley and I would thoroughly recommend it. It's not just about what Killygordon has the offer but also the neighbouring towns.

Ballybofey/Stranorlar - upriver
    Castlefin/Lifford/Strabane - downriver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Its a nice place..just beware the crazy folk that live there!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Ah this takes me back to my childhood...

Beating Red Hughes in the GAA;)

b0bsquish wrote:
    Its a nice place..just beware the crazy folk that live there!! :D
    I actually lived there for 6 years myself before moving further upstream about 20 years ago.

Maybe thats what made me move - the crazy gang :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Butterkup

There's an area in Killygordon called The Curragh.

Why is the rent quite low there compared to other close-by places?

Is it an estate?

I haven't seen the place, was just told about a place for rent there by an auctioneer.

It is an estate. It must be there at least 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Butterkup

Must be a fairly "mature" estate then if it's 25 years old.

I wonder why the rent is quite low there, is it a "quiet" estate?

I think it is/was a council estate. Most of the houses would be privately owned now. Somebody from that area may correct me on that if need be.

Butterkup wrote:
    Must be a fairly "mature" estate then if it's 25 years old.

I wonder why the rent is quite low there, is it a "quiet" estate?

I think you would need to ask the auctioneer why the rent woud be low.

The estate you mention is a council scheme and would be up about 35 - 40 years. Its just on the outskirts of Killygordon and would have about 40 houses in it with most of those now bought out from the Council.

Apart from the road into the scheme it is completely surrounded by fields. I think it is no better or no worse than most of the estates of its types. Because of the age of the estate you would find that most of its residents/householders would be on the wrong side of 50.

There are still a few young people about it and I suppose that they get up to the same type of behaviour as you would expect to find anywhere else.

If you are asking if it is a good place to live in then I would say yes. I know a lot of people living there and while there may be an odd no-gooder and the odd do-gooder i would say most of the people there are great.

It is located close to schools, churches, shops etc and there is now a new business park almost beside it which has a creche, hair salon etc and also football pitches (grass and astro-turf).

Advertisement