Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Farseer Trilogy

Options
  • 06-03-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Anyone read this Trilogy. Just finished it recently and I have to say Robin is a very good author. Have picked up the follow up trilogy aswell "The Tawny Man". Does anyone know if his other series is good, the one with the ships? I tend to hate boat related things but if they're good it'd be stupid of me to miss out.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Simple answer man, They are excellent! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

It goes:
    Farseer trilogy
    Liveship traders
    Tawny man trilogy

Liveship traders takes place in the same world and is loosely connected to events in the surrounding two sets. You'd be better off reading the liveship trilogy before tawny man.

Hobb is a really good author. I loved the farseer trilogy. There is a new series coming out set in a completely different world. I've read the first one (Shaman's crossing) . I like it so far looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

LoLth wrote:
    It goes:
    Farseer trilogy
    Liveship traders
    Tawny man trilogy

Liveship traders takes place in the same world and is loosely connected to events in the surrounding two sets. You'd be better off reading the liveship trilogy before tawny man.

Hobb is a really good author. I loved the farseer trilogy. There is a new series coming out set in a completely different world. I've read the first one (Shaman's crossing) . I like it so far looking forward to the next one.
    Cool, I will check him out. Though Jordan is still my fav author :p

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Slurms wrote:
    Cool, I will check him out. :p

Her, actually.

As mentioned above though you should read the Liveship Traders books first as they do tie in in the Tawny Man series.

Great books. Love the Robin Hobb books. She also writes as Megan Lindholm (can't remember which, if either, is her real name) but I didn't like those books as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

She's a good author but I can't say her books do it for me. The Farseer trilogy was a bit of a let-down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Noticed a new series in Easons.. will have to get it some time.. think its only 1 book so far..

Excellent author... i know my brother in law did not like that fitz was the "unsung hero" but i thought it was refreshing.. and more true in reality i suppose... sort of like CIA agents being killed protecting people from terrorists but no one will ever know that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Slurms wrote:
    Cool, I will check him out. Though Jordan is still my fav author :p

Jordan as in Katie Price (?) Well at least she's much better than the robert bastid that has books and books that are completely unnecessary... cock

lordgoat wrote:
    Jordan as in Katie Price (?) Well at least she's much better than the robert bastid that has books and books that are completely unnecessary... cock
    How dare you! He's a genius!!

Well I finshed the Tawny Man series (didnt get Liveship Traders) very good book. Fitz is up there as one of my favourite characters now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Slurms wrote:

Well I finshed the Tawny Man series (didnt get Liveship Traders) very good book. Fitz is up there as one of my favourite characters now.

Genius, are you serious? His series was ok, first book slow, 2-5 good, next 2Nothing HAPPENS - I swear path of daggers cost me about 6 hours of my life that i want back. I've seen more constructive writing in the problem page of the sun.

YOu will realise this after you go and read more good series.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

I found Liveship Traders to be very dull. It does tie into the other 2 series, but you can still understand the Tawny Man without reading it. Overall, the fitz books are good.

As for Jordan, I still think the books are good, but I just wish he would wrap them up already. As for genius, I would have to say that George R.R. Martin is probably the best out there right now.

• Advertisement

SteveS wrote:
    I found Liveship Traders to be very dull. It does tie into the other 2 series, but you can still understand the Tawny Man without reading it. Overall, the fitz books are good.

As for Jordan, I still think the books are good, but I just wish he would wrap them up already. As for genius, I would have to say that George R.R. Martin is probably the best out there right now.
    aye, Martin is fairly good alright. I just admire the scale of Jordans work and I really enjoy all the books, in fact even more so than anything Tolkien has written (I know I'll be flamed for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Slurms wrote:

I agree completely with you re Robert Jordan - see this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054868061

Some sad news here: http://www.tor.com/jordan/index.html

Have read the farseer trilogy and have the tawny man trilogy on order, looking forward to reading more on Fitz - great character. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Saruman wrote:
    Noticed a new series in Easons.. will have to get it some time.. think its only 1 book so far..

Heard there were a lot of problems with this and the first hardback book has a lot of typos and errors in it. Robin Hobb was pretty mad about it by all accounts. I've been waiting for it in paperback as they were to fix the problems for that edition and I know it would drive me mad to read a book with a lot of mistakes in it.

There's a part in one of the Tawny Man books (afair) where
    Fitz is thrown in jail and it's supposed to be by a guard who has already had a run-in with him before
    . But that run-in must have been cut from the book. It really bugged me. Anyone else notice that?

Misty Moon wrote:
    There's a part in one of the Tawny Man books (afair) where Fitz is thrown in jail and it's supposed to be by a guard who has already had a run-in with him before. But that run-in must have been cut from the book. It really bugged me. Anyone else notice that?
    Can't say I picked up on that.

Advertisement