Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuine Recycling Service?

Options
  • 05-03-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Thornton's run a fortnightly recycling service in my area which is free, in addition to standard weekly refuse collection which we pay for.
    Although I'm well happy to use the service and love the chance to recycle, I've heard stories about Thornton's and the dubious nature of their recycling services. Basically that they were caught throwing the stuff they had collected especially for recyling, straight into landfill like the rest and that it's just a front for the same old rubbish disposal.
    So I want to ask how reliable are the recycling services provided by Thorton's or indeed any other refuse company. Am I deluding myself into thinking that putting things into this new bin is anything more than just some lip-service that has been forced on these companies by local and national government?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Yes I'm a bit suspicious about these companies from annecdotes that I've heard.

While we are on the subject, glass for bottlebanks is generally segregated - i.e. clear, brown, green etc. but I've seen trucks picking up each bank and tipping them into an unpartitioned bulk trailer. What's the point seperating the glass when it's picked up like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Agreed.
    Saw a documentary on BBC a few months back where all the recycled stuff from a couple of councils in the UK was turning up in landfill in Indonesia.

The evidence was damning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Litcagral wrote:
    What's the point seperating the glass when it's picked up like that?
    What's the point in recycling Glass when there aren't any glass factories here anymore ? the raw materials aren't exactly rare and there isn't a huge energy saving, especially if you factor in people driving to bottle banks.

Glass is non-toxic and very stable.

Bottled water is a disaster, when it comes to recycling the plastic bottles.

Most of the electronics goes to China where laws are different, remember the accidents in Cork due to overloading ?

Until there is an economic value for the waste you will have scams. I've wondered how much a 40' container would cost. And how many PC's you could store in one at a tenner a pop. And containers are stackable. Keep it dry and wait till someone realises that you could extract gold or tantlium (capacitors) from them and gives you a decent price. Or get some trainees in to strip them and sell off the nuts and bolts and bare metal cases. You could then fit lots more motherboards in the 40'

Brown cardboard was always 70% recycled because it was a reusable product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

So is there anyone here who knows specific details about Thornton's and the nature of their recycling services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randomname2005

While probably not directly related to the initial question, I was up in the ballyogan recycling facility today with my mother. We were dumping some stuff and there were only a few things left in the car and she asked me to empty the car as she was going over to recycle the plastic packaging, when one of the workers took the bag of plastic from her and threw it in the general waste bin! We were both a little shocked. I looked into some of the other bins only to see cardboard and other recyclable produce in them. If they dont recycle the goods in this facility im not sure we can expect other companies to be extremly diligent!
    R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Advertisement