Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Iron

Options
  • 05-03-2006 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Have'nt played golf in years, so have been spending a lot to time down the driving range.

Just curious what distance do you get from your 7 Iron, my average is approx 120 yards! Should I be aiming for better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i have to chuckle at people absorbed in distance. It really is not essential.

If maybe you tell us your age,male/female and general fitness and physical shape?

For exampe, I'm a 17yr old male who is 15 stone but relitvly fittish, and hit my 7 iron between 150-160.

But past 155 is at a rip. I tend to just hit soft irons, going for accuracy. I have no problem hitting 2 irons more then my opponents, some people find it " pride damaging" if they are being outclubbed.

But 120 is pretty short for a 7 iron, 120 is bout my 9 iron distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

There is no set rules on how far you "should" be able to hit any club but in your case you could try and judge it on how far you hit other irons. Roughly speaking there's probably a difference of 10 yards or so between irons. So, for example if you hit your 5 iron 150, then a 6 iron is probably around 140 and a 7 iron about 130 etc.

I typically hit about 160 with a 7 iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Im a fairly small guy, rather short, and i hit mine around 140-150, its my favourite club :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Just curious what distance do you get from your 7 Iron, my average is approx 120 yards! Should I be aiming for better?

Not if it's outside your abilities.. Like was stated, forget about distance, worry about your accuracy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I wouldnt worry about it if its accurate. I had a set of titleist 990's and the pitching wedge was 46*. My current ping eye 2's have a 50* pitching wedge so go figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement