Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my antivirus found viruses but now wont do anything about them!

Options
  • 05-03-2006 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

my antivirus find viruses but now wont do anything about them!

my pc on occasion has found virus or threats and always removed them but this time its just telling me im at risk ! what should i do?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What anti-virus do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might not be a virus!! Norton these days scans for malware too... they are security risks. why not post what AV you use along with exactly what it says it has found!!!

By the way.. run your AV in safe mode as its very difficult if not imposible to remove a virus in normal mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

yes its norton antivirus, giv me a min to get that info. thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

ok ive three threats ;

ACM.dil adware.savenow adware found at risk
    saveuninst.exe adware.savenow adware found at risk
    saveupdate.exe adware.savenow adware found at risk

what should i do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

They are all adware!! :)

So they are not viruses (take a big sigh of relief, as adware can't do much more than pop-up annoying ads [but there have been cases where adware can gather personal information about you on your computer])

Download Ad-Aware & Spybot Search and Destroy

Run a scan on each of them, and make sure to do a full scan on Ad-Aware

It should come up with the results, and then you can delete them from there

Hope this helps
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

my antivirus find viruses but now wont do anything about them!

Norton AntiVirus does not handle Adware infections ......:(

Norton Internet Security does .... :)

hobie wrote:
    Norton AntiVirus does not handle Adware infections ......:(

Norton Internet Security does .... :)

Actually it does... 2005 and 2006 but they are not very good.

Ad-aware and spybot are the best.. MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE DEFS BEFORE RUNNING!!
    You might want to do in safe mode as most these days come right back as soon as removed in normal mode.

Also get the microsoft one.. it actually works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

I think those adware and spyware files are generated by bearshare so watch it there not dangerous as far a I know but anoying nonetheless. have removed files like them with MS anti spyware before no problems after

Actually it does... 2005 and 2006 but they are not very good.

strange :confused: ..... Symantec advise only 'Security' products as being suitable for the problem items being quoted by Holly .... The threats in question have been recognised by Symantec as early as 2003

I have checked a NAV 2005 manual here and it has no Adware function ..... Whereas a 2005 manual for NIS clearly does ....

Someone has just passed me a manual for Nortons 'Personal Firewall 2005" ..... this does have an 'Adware' function

Riddles .... as always with anything to do with Computers .... :p

NIS probably has better scanning for adware but it certainly does detect and clean it when it can.. obvious examples are hotbar.. i have seen 2005 and 2006 AV try and clean this.

• Advertisement

NIS probably has better scanning for adware but it certainly does detect and clean it when it can.. obvious examples are hotbar.. i have seen 2005 and 2006 AV try and clean this.

maybe Symantec just popped Hotbar into its virus definitions to keep the peace ..... :eek:
    Hotbar had repeatedly threatened to sue Symantec for classifying its programs as adware, said Joy Cartun, senior director legal affairs, for Symantec, in Cupertino, Calif. So in June 2005, Symantec filed its own suit with the U.S. District Court of Northern District of California, San Jose Division, to support its right to identify Hotbar's programs as adware and to provide users with tools to remove the programs. Hotbar protested Symantec's attempts to classify its files as adware.

as I mentioned .... Riddles .... :)

Had not heard that.. fact is though as far as i am concerned.. ad-ware is any program that is installed without the users consent nor knowledge and is used for tracking internet usage and displaying adverts.. since this is exactly what hotbar does.. it is by that definition... ad-ware, spyware, malware whatever you want to call it.. its crapware!
    Anyway when i have seen NAV2005 and 2006 detecting adware it classifys them as security risks as opposed to simply being a virus.

Advertisement