Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam and Druidism

Options
  • 05-03-2006 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

From what I can make out both Islam and Druidism do not believe in the need to have priests. You are in direct contact with God/Source yourself. Muslims take 10 mins out from daily life 5 times a day to pray, and connect with god and the universe.

Muslisms have a set form of prayer and ritual which is like meditation, I think it's a brillant idea to escape from the stresses of the modern world to connect with God/Gods/Goddess/Source (whatever you believe in). I believe we'd work better if we knew that in an hour or two we could take time to meditate and escape from deadlines and pressure for 10 mins and we'd come back fresh and ready to sell or do whatever.

Islam isn't for me, I don't see anything wrong with sex, drugs and drink in moderation but I do like the idea of prayer/meditation to balance yourself during the day. Can anyone recommend a form of Druid (or other) meditation that takes 10min or so ? Something similar to Islamic prayer, I don't really believe in Gods/Goddess, so praying to a particualr entity wouldn't work for me.

I do believe in a source that everything comes from and were all connected with, any suggestions or websites I could visit.

Thanks.

P.S. I also want to get into Martial Arts, I know there's one for training body and mind (not tai-chi). Can't remember the name of the martial art, but I know it's Japanese, anyone Know ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

You might be better addressing the martial arts part of your post to the Self Defense / Martial Arts forum. I used to do ju jitsu, and would happily recommend that, but it may not be what you're looking for.

I'll leave the druidism question to someone familiar with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Em, druids kind of were priests...

whatever about this modern stuff that takes the name "druid" for no reason I understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

bluewolf wrote:
    Em, druids kind of were priests...

whatever about this modern stuff that takes the name "druid" for no reason I understand.

I based that on info I got in what is druidism thread
    The Romans and the Greeks
    There is a lot of outrageous rubbish written about Druidism. In ancient times Druidism did not have Priests and no Classical writer (Greek or Roman) ever applied the term Priest to any Druid but they did use the term philosopher while also making a clear distinction between "Druid" and "Priest". No Classical writer ever refered to Druidism as a religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

rcunning03 wrote:
    I based that on info I got in what is druidism thread
    Something along the lines of an equivalent to priests, I should have maybe said.

Damn it, I lost my bookmarks so I can't link where I was going from...
    never mind me then =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Irish druids were member of Na Filleach.
    This collective of wise people ranged from the bards, to the law keepers, to those who read omens and practiced divination, to pronouced the change in the seasons.

Most of the ideas of historic druidary tends to come from biased accounts from both the romans and the christain writings.

As for the tradition of praying at certain times that plays a part in many religions.
    The angelus was the prayer used by catholics and was said twice in the the day at noon and at 6pm, and the bells for it would ring out as a reminder, as well as morning and bed time prayers.

I have my own daily devotions that I do each day as well as a time out to think and meditate when I have time.

Many religions and spiritualities believe that you do not need a go between yourself and the divine or mother earth or universal light.

But if you looking for a place that is not connected to specific gods I would suggest you try the Budhist forum and ask about chants and mediations there.

• Advertisement

Will do, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

Modern druidry does have prayers and meditations but they do not reflect the ancient form of druidry/druidism which is unfortunately lost to us as this was passed on as an oral tradition.

You can trawl throught the old Irish and Welsh literature but most of it is poetry or sagas, some of which is highly inspiring and spiritual but does not fit exactly with what you are looking for.

Most of the old prayers written down from 5th century onwards have a Chritstian slant or gloss which again might not suit.

As for priests, the old system of druidry was very organised, hierachical and the druids (especially the fátha or vates/ovates/seers) acted in a priestly capacity on behalf of the people, both mean and women could fulfill this role (not the case in Islam). People probably prayed and performed rites in their own homes too to their local and household deities but as a group/tribe the druids presided over religious activities. Hence I feel there isn't really much similarity with Islam as regards priesthood, but also in matters of doctrine and practice.

http://www.electricpublications.com

Modern druidry does have prayers and meditations but they do not reflect the ancient form of druidry/druidism which is unfortunately lost to us as this was passed on as an oral tradition.

You can trawl throught the old Irish and Welsh literature but most of it is poetry or sagas, some of which is highly inspiring and spiritual but does not fit exactly with what you are looking for.

Most of the old prayers written down from 5th century onwards have a Chritstian slant or gloss which again might not suit.

As for priests, the old system of druidry was very organised, hierachical and the druids (especially the fátha or vates/ovates/seers) acted in a priestly capacity on behalf of the people, both mean and women could fulfill this role (not the case in Islam). People probably prayed and performed rites in their own homes too to their local and household deities but as a group/tribe the druids presided over religious activities. Hence I feel there isn't really much similarity with Islam as regards priesthood, but also in matters of doctrine and practice.

http://www.electricpublications.com

Thanks, I'll check that out, If it wasn't for the doctrine I probably would be muslim, It's a great religion but just has some parts I can't agree with

Advertisement