Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Quality Local Calls with Blueface

Options
  • 04-03-2006 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I am currently testing Blueface and I get good quality when calling Dublin and the US. However, when I make a local (091) call the quality is very poor. I tested my line with http://www.testmyvoip.com and it seems to work fine (MOS average = 4.0).

I'm using NTL as my ISP (2 Mbit) and PINGs to sip.blueface.ie average 40 ms.

Protocol is set to G.711 but I ave also tried G.729 and QoS is enabled on my Linksys WRT54G2P router.

I have checked with Blueface and they have given me the standard troubleshooting checks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
    Thanks,
    - RintP:confused: ete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

RintPete wrote:
    I am currently testing Blueface and I get good quality when calling Dublin and the US. However, when I make a local (091) call the quality is very poor. I tested my line with http://www.testmyvoip.com and it seems to work fine (MOS average = 4.0).

I'm using NTL as my ISP (2 Mbit) and PINGs to sip.blueface.ie average 40 ms.

Protocol is set to G.711 but I ave also tried G.729 and QoS is enabled on my Linksys WRT54G2P router.

I have checked with Blueface and they have given me the standard troubleshooting checks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
    Thanks,
    - RintP:confused: ete

Not really called many 091 numbers, mostly 01 and European calls.

But we both have the same basic setup. NTL/WRT54G2P/Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

What type of problems? Is it echoes, etc? I had this at the start, but setting the codec to g729ab@20ms on the Netgear ATA did the trick.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Freddie59 wrote:
    What type of problems? Is it echoes, etc? I had this at the start, but setting the codec to g729ab@20ms on the Netgear ATA did the trick.:)

It's mostly jitter. I hear the other party fine, but my voice keeps breaking up. I tested their (Dial 301 Echo Test) and that seemed fine.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Thanks Gerard.

What protocol / QoS settings are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

RintPete wrote:
    ......when I make a local (091) call the quality is very poor.

Is this to various Galway numbers at all times or is it intermittent and only to certain numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

I've been with Blueface for a good while now and I've never had any problems with it. The quality has always been superb, in fact, it was better than my Eircom line.

Even after i've specified port priority and QOS on my router the quality wasn't different at all, meaning that i could not improve on an allready good service.

I have a friend that has a Netgear router and when he starts downloading files and talk on the phone on the same time, you can clearly hear the quality breaking up. This problem is with the router tho, not with Blueface service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

ikoonman wrote:
    I've been with Blueface for a good while now and I've never had any problems with it. The quality has always been superb, in fact, it was better than my Eircom line.

Even after i've specified port priority and QOS on my router the quality wasn't different at all, meaning that i could not improve on an allready good service.

I have a friend that has a Netgear router and when he starts downloading files and talk on the phone on the same time, you can clearly hear the quality breaking up. This problem is with the router tho, not with Blueface service.

What router are you using.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm very happy with my Blueface connection. The only thing is that mobile calls seem to be pay as you go whereas I'd prefer to be billed.

Advertisement