Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steering lock up

Options
  • 04-03-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I know this is a long shot without anyone actually being able to look at my car, but the steering has locked up three times and caused her to crash three times, had bought spares and used them up unfortunately. It goes back to a kerb I hit which is in one of my videos online and broke a servo arm. since then the steering has locked up despite everything appearing to be fine physically. Only thing I can put it down to is a dodgy servo and the servo feels ok when you turn it over manually. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Woult it be interferance by any chance ?
    It my look like steering locking up as it would suddenly shoot to one side ?
    This happened to me before.
    I soon learned not to run my car in the same spot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hmm would you believe that it had crossed my mind, I have run other cars in the same spot without any hassle tho, I dunno it's a tough one. I bought a new servo just in case might fit it later.
    Thanks for the input man.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

have u opened up the servo and taken a look maybe a gear is damaged. maybe the steering on lock is catching somewhere ,also you have a few car tallus change out the servo and see how u get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

hurmmm i had the same problem with my stormracer coolwings told me to let it dry (i puut by the radiator) or spray it with a small bit of wd 40 cause if they get damp they can get weak/non-responsive

I changed the servo but awaiting suspension parts to arrive so far so good, didn't open the old servo but might take a look at it later when I get a chance.
    That's also a consideration flunked ... hmm
    Thanks for the input guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'd say it's the steering linkage. Check symmetry and play.

Just did TMaxx everything appears to be fine :/
    *edit*
    Just took a closer look, you were right Tmaxx there's a nut catching causing the steering to lock to the left, cheers for the input guys mucho appreciation
    Greg
    *further edit*
    moved the linkage to the servo arm in by one hole from the outside, problem solved.

:P the only good thing that came out of this was an extra servo :P

not for me ... high torque servos are expensive heh :(

FINALLY got her back on the road today only for a bleddy pull start to break, luckily I have 2 spares :) as the same pullstarter fits the hpi .21 engine.

• Advertisement

Ok the steering locked up again today, weirdly because I had her out for a spin yesterday without a problem. It never seems to lock up on grass which is weird. After about three seconds on tarmac "steering locked" and she hit a kerb, see the attached pic for damage :( I'm losing faith in this car rapidly :/

remeber what i said a few posts up? (i dont :)) well im pretty sure its your problemo, its getting damp form the grass, unless it was short very dry grass ;-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

he said it was ok on grass and it was locking up only on tarmac

*finally* Started the elimination process by changing the reciever in the car, tho I did change the steering servo too a few weeks back to no avail, she's charging up and going for a bash later *fingers crossed*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Gotta car....
    Gotta tankful of gas....
    What are you waiting for....
    Hit it ! !
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

tallus wrote:
    *finally* Started the elimination process by changing the reciever in the car, tho I did change the steering servo too a few weeks back to no avail, she's charging up and going for a bash later *fingers crossed*

Hope it goes good this time for you.
    Also have batts charged up and tanks fuelled to go for a run later today.:D

it's to reach 18C ;) Hope the bash goes well Vectra :)
    I'm running tank number 8 through the new .28 later too hopefully, so far so good, I'd rate the Ho Bao engine better than a HPI one so far, since I ironed out a few minor glitches on the very first tank it has not cut out once on me in the preceeding 6 tanks.
    Coolwings: I will be "hitting" it later hopefully :)

Ran a tank of Green Models 5% through her earlier without incident, didn't notice a lot of difference performance wise either, she seemed to go just as fast.

Advertisement