Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

temp guage, how to!?

Options
  • 03-03-2006 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

hey!!
    temp guage is taking longer than expected, but i was just thinking, i dont know some stuff ill need to use it!!

so :
    at what point do you measure the temperature?
    then when u tune when do u wmeasure, just basically: whats the method!!

thanks as always!!

nlc

*edit* and which of these does the standard savvy 25 engine fit into?
    1) aluminium: sandblasted standard car and airplane engines not adonized, or
    2)aluminium adonized may be powder coated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

i have a feeling nobody can ansewer your last question but i think when you hook of the temp guage it tells you the temp all the time and changesd according to the engine, correct me if im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Temp should be measured at the glowplug.

You tune, do a few high speed passes, bring her in, measure temp asap, re-tune, as so on.

I don't have a Savage, but I'd say the head would be cast aluminium. Machined and anodized heads are more expensive.

I've a Duratrax temp gauge. The default emissivity setting is 95% which is right for the stock cast aluminium heads (like the TRX2.5).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

After re-tuning, it takes 30 - 45 seconds for the new temp to establish itself.
    If you are tuning the main jet, then you must run it up to top throttle (or over 75%), before checking temp.
    As TMaxx said ... a few high speed passes will be sufficient.

Remember though - high speed passes may understate the max temp. This is because when you are accellerating that uses more fuel, and therefore increases temp more. once you reach max speed, and are "cruising there" the engine unloads a bit, and the temp will fall.

We have seen cases where max speed produced max temp. But we have also seen other cases where accelleration-decelleration, accelleration cycles produced more temp. Depends on many things, especially the weight and gear ratio of your model.

So try to make the test passes of a reasonably similar style as your normal driving style.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

thanks guys! t-maxx, is that the infrared one? if yeh, tahts the one im getting, i'm gona give it a shot adjusting t slighltly now, and then when i get that, see how it is! thanks again!

nlc

hey again, anywhere special i could quickly get a spur gear??i just meshed mine...

• Advertisement

Yes, I've the infrared Duratrax temp gauge. Remember to tune by smoke and performance - not turns and temps.

Re spur gears, I always order online or eBay (as for anything else too except fuel). I phoned PlanetFun (the "Agents") once and the guy told me they're out of stock but could get in a week or so and it would cost about €10 or €12!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

hey again, anywhere special i could quickly get a spur gear??i just meshed mine...
    for what NLC? I have a spare spur gear I bought for my savage last week it's a 52 tooth one.

oooh...for the savage..u dont happen to want to part with it do ya!,

t-maxx-how much should it cost otherwise? (never between my two cars have i had to replace a gear!!)

You could get a T-Maxx spur gear online for $3.00, excluding postage and packaging.

looking at gears online, are titanium ones worth it?

tallus-where did u get ur gear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

titanium - much much stroger dont know what they cost so i cant say, probly couldnt of anyway:D

Titanium Spur Gears...
    Plastic spur gears are good. They do the job.
    Or to put it another way:
    Do you really want to bend your engine crankshaft every time a stone gets into the gears?
    It's a bit like taking the fuse box out of a house because some appliance keeps on sparking and blowing fuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

so its so strong it messes with other parts?
    PS: this is flunked in mates account

No it is not that it's too strong as such.
    Any hard foreign bodies that get in between them will break the weaker of the two gears.
    When (not if) it happens, I would always prefer that that is a cheap plastic (sacrificial) gear, and not my clutch bell gear-engine shaft.
    So the plastic spur gear acts as a "fuse", a weak link, if you like.

nicely put!!!! cheers, coolwings, u dont know anywhre that does them do you?

Advertisement